Breville bes900 bdb err2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville bes900 bdb err2

Came home tonight to find my three week old machine still on and showing err2 on the display. Buttons non responsive and had to power off then on to get it going. These codes should be in the manual.
    So whats err2?

Re: Breville bes900 bdb err2

No idea what Err2 means Im afraid. Id say its time to give Breville a call in the morning. They may ask you to help further diagnose by doing something like what Phil describes below so may help to be by the machine when you call. Lets us know how you go, Id also be interested to know what it means.

Info on Err1 from Phil posted on another forum.
    http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/560878#560878 This code just shows there was potenially a general error. Please follow this procedure to get more detailed info: With the power cord plugged IN & turned ON at the wall socket. Machine OFF Press & hold IN all four buttons simultaneously, Menu, Arrow Down, Arrow Up, Exit. While holding them all down, press the Power button The LCD will now be in the Service Mode There will be a single, double or even triple digit displayed. This is the number of shots over 7 secs, divided by 10. So if you had 12 on the LCD, this would mean you have pulled 120 shots longer than 7 secs.Press the Menu buttonYou will then see a four digit display XX:XX make a note of the 2 digits to the left & the right of the colon.Let me know what these numbers are & I can tell you if you have a problem or not. Press the Exit button at any time to exit service mode & go back to startup mode. Cheers, Phil

Comment

Re: Breville bes900 bdb err2

Logged a call with breville and theyve asked Phil to call me. Will report back with the result

Comment

still waiting

Comment

and still waiting. It hasn't happened since but I'm not encouraged by Brevilles lack of response. I'll let it go unless it happens again

Comment

If you PM me your state & suburb I'll give you the details of your nearest BDB service centre.

Cheers, Phil

Comment

I'm on the central coast NSW - but the machine has not repeated the issue so I'll leave it for now

Comment

Hi Phil,

I've been getting quite a few Err1 and now Err2 codes showing from my BDB.. I'll see what info I can get from the Post from Argus above, but is there a BDB service centre in the ACT if I need to take it to one?

Comment

Did either of you get answers with regards to what the Err1 or 2 messages mean? or what triggered it? was a solution found or was it simply replacing the machine?

Comment

Originally posted by johnlyn View Post
                    Did either of you get answers with regards to what the Err1 or 2 messages mean? or what triggered it? was a solution found or was it simply replacing the machine?
                    Have you tried resetting the software by pressing the one and two cup button at the same time and then the ON button?
                    This could settle the matter - please keep us informed.

Comment

err2 has been happening to some of the blokes on CG with XL versions too. the cause remains a mystery. interesting that earlier in this thread, phil offered to help swamprat "offline". good customer service, to be sure, but leaves the rest of us still wondering what the cause might be. was it you johnlyn who talked to the service rep in canada and they did not know the cause either?

i've had my 900xl for 11 months and not had this. some folks on CG are speculating, (but it is still no more than that), that either outright water from a microleak, or condensation is bollocksing up the electronics.

i wonder if phil and the engineers are at work studying this and he doesn't want to start any false rumors (rumours )until the cause is specifically pinned down? i reckon if were running a large public company like breville, i'd do the same thing.

-peter

Comment

Breville Canada has been fantastic at honouring the warrentyand in so doing have replaced my machine on three occaisions. I have had the Err1 message come up on each machine over the 8 months I have owned a BDB. On this last machine I got the Err2 code, and then Err1 on two occaisions (after a clear water backflush just before powering off). Breville canada do not know what the codes mean but have been advised that if they come up the machine needs to be replaced (even though the machines kept on working properly after unplugging ad replugging). I recognize that I am unique in having this problem occure on consecutive machines (4). I have had my electrical looked into and all power related options appear to be on track. no other appliences are suffering. The match with my home is not working...

Something is triggering something and an Err message is produced. In addition the case on CS, there is also a post on CG where Phil has helped one of the members but no results are going out there to provide understanding of the issue. I just want to understand and resolve, if Brevile is being scretive then that's their perogative, but I think it would be better PR to ackowledge their efforts.

I should add that the manager I spoke with (there are no techs or engineers in canad that I am aware of), was surprised that the machine would even work at all once those messages have come up.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlyn View Post
                          I have had the Err1 message come up on each machine over the 8 months I have owned a BDB. On this last machine I got the Err2 code, and then Err1 on two occaisions (after a clear water backflush just before powering off). Breville canada do not know what the codes mean but have been advised that if they come up the machine needs to be

As I have mentioned on CG. The technician I had on the phone from the German service center did advise not to "back-flush" without pill. He thinks that is overkill, as the machine has a build in mechanism cleaning itself rudimentary after each shot (probably he meant via the three wave solenoid release system)

He recommends:
                          - soft "Phil's Wiggle" after each use
                          - to follow the cleaning procedure immediately when the "Clean Me" alert pops up with the cleaning-pill.
                          - even better: unscrew carefully the shower-cap with the torx screwdriver delivered together with the machine. Clean the shower-cap and all reachable parts carefully from any oily or sticky residue. If sticky not with a metal but with a wooden tool.
                          - Put it back.
                          - then go chemical

Comment

Originally posted by RaymondParker View Post
                            As I have mentioned on CG. The technician I had on the phone from the German service center did advise not to "back-flush" without pill. He thinks that is overkill, as the machine has a build in mechanism cleaning itself rudimentary after each shot (probably he meant via the three wave solenoid release system)

He recommends:
                            - soft "Phil's Wiggle" after each use
                            - to follow the cleaning procedure immediately when the "Clean Me" alert pops up with the cleaning-pill.
                            - even better: unscrew carefully the shower-cap with the torx screwdriver delivered together with the machine. Clean the shower-cap and all reachable parts carefully from any oily or sticky residue. If sticky not with a metal but with a wooden tool.
                            - Put it back.
                            - then go chemical
                            I did get that and have since stopped the clear water backflush, thanks for that. That was just an example of what occured most recently, and in reality, it would be like pulling an additonal shot since there is a hole in the cleaning disc and pressure never goes beyond 7 bars. The Err2 and the Err1's on he other machines were not necessarily asscociated with a backflush, just the last two times on this machine. As you can see however, this is still a mystery: what is the special mechanism? most machines need a backflush for the threeway solenoid (it is important to know why in order to know how to maintain well; what does the Err1 mean?

Thanks Raymond for finding someone with some information to share.

Comment

Originally posted by RaymondParker View Post
                              I wonder if this technician thinks "clear water backflush" means running the built in cleaning program with the blind (which would be overkill after each session), instead of the common usage of the term.
                              In any case, that's pretty poor advice for him to have given but probably understandable if he isn't a coffee person. The last part of his comment is a joke - the "built in mechanism for cleaning after each shot" would be cleaning itself with dirty water!

Comment

Working...
                              X