Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6910 New Seal Issues :/

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 6910 New Seal Issues :/

    Hi All,

    So, after being fairly lazy for a while, I've finally gotten around to putting in a new group seal in my EM6910. Not that the old one was thaaat bad - just getting too loose for my liking (after 1.5yrs of service).

    BUT!! what I'm finding now is that I'm getting some water leaks from the seal, whereas previously I didn't have any. Go figure!

    I'm pretty sure I've put it all back together properly, since I've taken it apart many time before.

    I thought maybe I had been inadvertently updosing too much, and that maybe coffee grinds were getting stuck in the collar, but I'm doubting that's the case.

    I should also say that at the same time I replaced the screw for the "shower screen", since it had been worn down. This new screw wasn't the Sunbeam part, but I've checked the thread and all, and it seems to be as near a replica as it needs to be...

    Anyone have any ideas??? Would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Aaron

  • #2
    I found mine leaked a bit after I replaced the seal at about the same time. It settled in after about a week. Can't think of much to suggest except give it a week or so to bed in.

    Pete

    Comment


    • #3
      Ok, thanks Pete. I was thinking this might be the case, but it's a shame really that there's no Sunbeam official documentation regarding it.

      Let's see how we go!

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, I bought a second hand 6910 and the seal didn't leak for me, however the portfiller handle locked in at about 5 o'clock, so I thought I'd fit a new seal. I did so, and it leaked a little, and the handle still locked in at the same position (the replaced seal looked perfect, I might add!).

        Anyway, after a few days, it settled down and stopped leaking. Give it a clean with a group brush or similar, just to make sure there's no grinds on the seal. I've now got a spare seal

        Cheers,

        Tassiebean

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi there seems to be a huge variation in seals, depending where you get them from.

          Comment


          • #6
            yeah, i'm certainly noticing that this seal seems to provide a 'weaker' seal than the previous.

            It's not leaking anymore, but just in general it seems to be weaker than the one that originally came with it. With the original one it took ages before the portafilter was even able to reach that little "seal firmly" mark above, whereas this new one already needs it to go there...:/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Phil_Jones View Post
              Yes, I bought a second hand 6910 and the seal didn't leak for me, however the portfiller handle locked in at about 5 o'clock, so I thought I'd fit a new seal. I did so, and it leaked a little, and the handle still locked in at the same position (the replaced seal looked perfect, I might add!).

              Anyway, after a few days, it settled down and stopped leaking. Give it a clean with a group brush or similar, just to make sure there's no grinds on the seal. I've now got a spare seal

              Cheers,

              Tassiebean
              I can confirm mine also took about a week to settle in after I removed the seal to clean everything.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by aaronpratt View Post
                Hi All...
                I should also say that at the same time I replaced the screw for the "shower screen", since it had been worn down. This new screw wasn't the Sunbeam part, but I've checked the thread and all, and it seems to be as near a replica as it needs to be...
                That's what I'd be checking....do you still have the original screw ?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Honest_Gaza View Post
                  That's what I'd be checking....do you still have the original screw ?
                  I do, but there's no way I'm putting that back in my machine otherwise it'll never come back out. The screw I got to replace it was an exact replica - cut down to match the length of the Sunbeam one.

                  The leaking is minimizing, but I actually think it's to do with where it's locking at. I should of said earlier that with the new seal the portafilter is locking between the 4 and 5 o'clock mark. If I don't lock it there then it will start to leak.

                  I've read up around the place that in general the group collar itself can wear down over time, in much the same way as burrs in a grinder. This can be compensated though with a thin rubber shim which can sit behind/above the actual seal. I'm fairly confident that's what has happened here, but have no idea whether the 6910 group can handle that sort of shim. Any suggestions???

                  -Aaron

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X