No announcement yet.

Rancillio Silvia No Creama - PLS HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancillio Silvia No Creama - PLS HELP!

PLS HELP! I recently upgraded my breville proseries800 for a new Rancillio Silvia (4 weeks ago) so have been making a descent standard coffee for a few years with the 800. Since i bought my silvia i also purchased a breville smark grinder. Since day one i have been unable to get any crema with my silvia. This was despite fresh ground coffee, finest grind, very hard tamp, preheated group head. I have played with the tamp, grind, different beans etc I thought it may be older beans (depsite being freshly ground but bought some new & had no luck).

This was a wake up call to my well practiced coffee making skills. i want my old machine back. Any advice would be appreciated?

ps. i have read the other no crema posts on this & other sites & tried in the above. I need a guru.

Comment

Hi sydneyboy, what type of beans do you use, and how old are they.

The only time I have ever had trouble getting crema with Silvia is when I tried to make coffee with Vitorio beans from a supermarket (don't ask, I should have known better).

note* freshly ground stale beans = stale beans.

BB.

Comment

my guess is beans as well.

are the shots normal apart from lack of crema?

Comment

How fast is the shot flowing? If you are grinding as fine you can and tamping very hard you should be getting a very slow shot or even choke the machine. You should be getting 60 mils in around 25 - 30 seconds from a doulble.

Another thing is the single basket that comes standard with the Silvia is fairly crap and difficult to use. So you should practice with the double basket.

If your coffee is fresh like you say, i would say your grinder is in need of shims.

Comment

I had same problem when I 1st got Silvia. The problem was the grinder. She is so senstive with grinder. For Silvia the finest set of Breville smart grider barely meet the needed fineness with brand-new burr. So I bought HS-600 grinder, budget commercial grinder from ebay. With this grinder Silvia works as her renown. With Silvia you should get some creama (not flavour ;-) even with years-old-beans when grinder adjustment is adequate.

Search in youtube 'Adjusting the Grind' and follow his standard.

Comment

Thanks guys for your feedback. The shot looks ok a bit weak aside from lack of crema. It does seem to extract more quickly (10-15 sec double shot) despite finest grind & hard tamp with a brand new conical grinder. My old machine used to block easily the Silvia it seems impossible to slow the flow. I will try some fresh beans. I have only used the double basket.

Comment

Originally posted by sydneyboy View Post
                Thanks guys for your feedback. The shot looks ok a bit weak aside from lack of crema. It does seem to extract more quickly (10-15 sec double shot) despite finest grind & hard tamp with a brand new conical grinder. My old machine used to block easily the Silvia it seems impossible to slow the flow. I will try some fresh beans. I have only used the double basket.
                Hi Sydneyboy, what grinder are you using?

I would also like to again ask, what beans are you using, and how old are they?

Sounds like stale beans, or not grinding fine enough to me. If you are using a grinder such as a Sunbeam 480 or Breville Smart Grinder, you can add shims to the grinder to make it grind finer. This should bring it back to the 25-30 second range that you are chasing.

Comment

Hi David8,

I have a new breville smart grinder. The beans were a 1kg bag of sealed beans probably 4-5 months old. Excuse my ignorance what is shims? the irony is before my smart grinder (which i bought cause of the great reviews) i used a $30 breville coffee grinder that provided a much finer grind (now that you have mentioned it i compared).

Comment

Hi David8,

The beans were a 1kg bag of sealed beans probably 4-5 months old.
                    That sounds like the problem: beans are well and truly STALE.

Once roasted I wouldn't keep beans any longer than around 3 weeks. 4-5 months just screams to be thrown out. Sorry to say so...

Comment

Hi Sydneyboy,

Simple rule of thumb for coffee,
                      Unroasted beans (green beans) will last up to 3 years.
                      Roasted beans (brown beans) good for up to 3 weeks.
                      Ground Beans (ground coffee) good for up to 3 minutes.

Get some beans that have been roasted within 3 weeks of you using then, even better get some that were roasted today and sample them every day to see how the flavour develops.

You will be amazed. BB

Comment

Hi David8,

I have a new breville smart grinder. The beans were a 1kg bag of sealed beans probably 4-5 months old. Excuse my ignorance what is shims? the irony is before my smart grinder (which i bought cause of the great reviews) i used a $30 breville coffee grinder that provided a much finer grind (now that you have mentioned it i compared).
                        AS the others have said, sadly the beans are stale. Shims are a washer that sit under the bottom burr of the grinder, thus making the burrs closer together, and grinding finer. You may or may not need them, hard to say until you get some fresh beans.

Comment

Working...
                        X