Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steaming power - Silvia vs Venus

Hi all.
    Whilst being a n00b here I follow other internet forums etiquette & search for the answer to questions before I post, however this one is eluding me thus far.

I am curious to know if anyone has had a back to back comparison of the steaming power of a Rancilio Silvia versus an Isomac Venus? I have a Venus & my best mate has a Silvia & it seems the Silvia steaming ability completely outpowers my Venus. I was wondering if this is a generally accepted observation or should I be investigating my machine? I'm talking about single small jugs of milk - enough for 2 regular sized FWs. I'm not talking about repeated efforts.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Doug

Quick look at the specs suggests they should be pretty similar, similar sized boiler, similar rated element.

The difference may be the two-hole tip on the Venus, small single boilers don't really have the power for multi-hole steam tips, Silvia shipped with a three-hole for a while but it was widely considered to have been a "really bad move" (tm), ergo they switched back to the single hole tip (Silvia couldn't keep up with the three-hole tip).

You could try blocking one hole on the Venus and see if it makes any difference.
    Last edited by jbrewster; 27 July 2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that - I was thinking along those lines of two vs single hole tip.
      Would anyone make a single hole tip that would simply screw onto the Venus wand? I'd rather that than try to block one of the holes Frankenstein-like.

Comment

I'm not aware of any off hand but some quick searching reveals that there are apparently two versions of the 2-hole steam tip for the Venus, one has smaller holes than the other, that may assist.

Before you go to the effort of tracking down a replacement I'd suggest you at least try blocking one hole to see if it has the desired effect (alternatively you can thread a piece of fine copper wire through the holes and twist the ends together inside the tip to restrict them a bit)

Comment

Working...
        X