Tripping Silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tripping Silvia

Well it had to happen . I took Miss Silvia on her last trip to Strathford on the Avon over Xmas. On the last evening of our stay, the power to the house went out. After several occurances it was easily determined the Silvia was tripping the house circuit breaker, even though she on but was not in use. The next morning, by habit, I turned it on and made coffee as usual, no probs.

When we got home, I was all set to prissy and clean, but no sooner had she sucked up a boiler full of descale, the house circuit blew again. Luckily CosmoreX in ACT services Rancilio and after speaking to Mick this morning he seemed confident it would be a heater element and I could pick it up early next week. Since I was going to change the Group head seal anyway, hes going to do that for me too. ;D

Ill keep concerned Siliva owner appraised of the fault details so they can recognise the symptoms should they occur. Bought new in Melbourne, November 2005.

Boris.

Re: Tripping Silvia

Originally posted by Boris link=1168064058/0#0 date=1168064058
    Luckily CosmoreX in ACT services Rancilio and after speaking to Mick this morning he seemed confident it would be a heater element and I could pick it up early next week. Since I was going to change the Group head seal anyway, hes going to do that for me too. ;D
    So does that mean a new boiler?

Id like to know how many boilers have had to be replaced within 3 years of new.

Comment

"So does that mean a new boiler? "

Yep. Went to see Mick this morning. He has replaced the boiler and element (its a one piece construction). However during his testing he believes the new boiler is heating up way too quickly, hence is now asking Rancilio questions about recent changes in boiler design. The boiler is physically slightly different to the old one. Still bolts in the same, external piping points are a little different. He believes it may be in response to consumer concern over heating up times, but is going to check to be sure. Now thats a tradesman.

Boris

Comment

Unfortunately, Rancilio decided to abandon the old bolt-through elements because of problems with leakage at the boiler junction. It wasnt so much a case of the seals, but sealant failure.

The new welded-on setups dont leak, but with that convenience comes having to buy a new boiler and element--- and at great cost.

Seems an unnecessary waste. Surely a return to the independent element with modifications to prevent leakage can be done.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1168064058/0#3 date=1168429494
          Surely a return to the independent element with modifications to prevent leakage can be done.
          Yes,

One would think so Robusto, a very strange decision that one :-?

Mal.

Comment

Does a new boiler come complete with thermostat switches attached or do you have to stick the old ones back on? I thought I read somewhere that Rancilio altered the switches in later models to lower deadband or something along those lines??

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G link=1168064058/0#5 date=1168468319
              Does a new boiler come complete with thermostat switches attached or do you have to stick the old ones back on? I thought I read somewhere that Rancilio altered the switches in later models to lower deadband or something along those lines??
              Not 100% sure, Mick didnt specifically mention new ones, so Im assuming it doesnt, just use the old ones. Ill find out in the next day or two I guess. :-?

Boris

Comment

Thermostats were changed from 110º down to 100º after complaints the water was too hot, and produced too much steam during extractions.

I would imagine thermostats do not come with replacement boilers.

-Robusto

Comment

can you keep your old boiler?, im in melbourne and would like to play with it, ive a few ideas up my sleeve, ill give you a few $$ for it

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by bleugh link=1168064058/0#8 date=1168857247
                    can you keep your old boiler?, im in melbourne and would like to play with it, ive a few ideas up my sleeve, ill give you a few $$ for it

cheers
                    This sounds deliciously intriguing. Can you reveal what fiendish plan you have yet?!!

--Robusto

Comment

I didnt ask, I guess it would be returned. If your keen, PM me.

Anyway, Attilio called today to advise they have discovered the problem. They have been sent 110V USA varients of the replacement boilers, not 240V AUS varients. So now thats sorted, should be smooth sailing to a good as new Silvia, soon destined for a new home...

Boris

Comment

unsure yet, curiosity at the moment, either hacking it up to make a model steam engine, or maybe eventually making some sort of Medusa silvia

mainly though, Ive a serious lack of junk bits and bobs since emigrating from the UK 3 months ago, and I really need to start filling up my drawers with useless stuff and junk that may be useful some day. ;D

Originally posted by robusto link=1168064058/0#9 date=1168891808

cheers
                        This sounds deliciously intriguing. Can you reveal what fiendish plan you have yet?!!

--Robusto

Comment

I know where you are coming from Bleugh --- turning that junk into useful "art" sates something in all us shed blokes.

But there are othertimes when I envy those other blokes with nothing but cleanliness in their sheds -- and room to move.

-Robusto

Comment

Working...
                          X