Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help with Decision - BES840 + BCG800??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Decision - BES840 + BCG800??

Hi there,

First new thread posting for me....do take it easy.

Anyhow, I am currently surviving on a diet of shop grind beans & plunger coffee; And I have been stewing for a while over an expresso machine/grinder combo for my new house. Max budget including accessories is $1000, but prefer to spend less.

I have read enough postings to know Silvia/Rocky combo is a good way to start off, but I can't afford ~1200

So my compromise is the newish BES840 + BCG800. Heard good things about the smart grinder, and the initial reviews for BES840 looks promising. Been negotiating deals around the $680 region.

Knowing I've got a little bit of room left in my budget, thinking should I spend the extra 200 on a better machine (silvia), or a better grinder (rocky or K3 Push)

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am going crazy researching & I just want to go buy a machine tomorrow!!!

cheers,
    Mark

I think you could do better, try emailing the sponsors with the budget and listen to there responses or go second hand?

Comment

Originally posted by dmcd
      You can find a better price than $680. I found just a week ago that I did better buying the BES840 at one retailer and the BCQ800 Smart Grinder from another. Total outlay was $629 for both. $430 for the 840 and $199 for the grinder. I'd mention where I bought them but I'm not sure that is allowed. Please PM me if you want more info.

I do have a couple of niggles with the BES840: The water tank is too small and the slop tray also. If you use it as directed flushing the brew head, steam wand etc., it does so much additional auto burping and flushing that you need to empty the slop tray after about three cups and fill the water tank almost as often. Not a major problem and I suppose I'll develop a routine, but right now it's giving me the pip as the popup "Empty Me" warning thingy doesn't pop up enough to be visible and the storage drawer is often flooded with overflow. Apart from that, today I finally found the sweet spot with my grinder and made some thoroughly enjoyable shots. It takes a bit of trial and error to get them both playing nicely together when you are as ignorant as I.

Cheers.
      Thanks, PM you.

Comment

I have done a shout out to the sponsors via that email already, but having a sub1000 budget makes it hard for them to pair a decent grinder with either a Silvia or lelit.

My question then would be whether a smart grinder is good enough for a Silvia?. I heard they are temperamental with the quality of grinds.

cheers

Comment

Hi Mark,

FWIW, my advice would be to have a scrounge down the back of the couch or under the car seat and find another $100. This would get you a PL042 and a K3P and it will do a whole lot better than any appliance.

You are welcome to make contact off forum if you'd like further details.

Good luck either way.

Chris
          Last edited by TC; 4 August 2012, 10:54 AM.

Comment

+ for chris's advice its only the price of 3kg of coffee (if that and thats without any milk)

A good machine and grinder as suggested above will last a lot longer than the coffee!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkZeros View Post
              I have done a shout out to the sponsors via that email already, but having a sub1000 budget makes it hard for them to pair a decent grinder with either a Silvia or lelit.

My question then would be whether a smart grinder is good enough for a Silvia?. I heard they are temperamental with the quality of grinds.

cheers
              Yes its good enough, but the question is good enough what your after?

Comment

Just want to say a quick thanks all of you giving various advice.

At risk offending few of you who gave useful tips on the Breville kit, I ended up biting the bullet & invested in a Silvia & Rocky combo from one of our sponsors in Camberwell - Thanks Julie

Been having fun today with my new toy, started to pull some drinkable shots after half a dozen attempts.

Think I have had enough caffeine for the day, more fresh beams tomorrow and the journey continues onwards..

cheers,
                Mark

Comment

An so the journey begins, good look and keep us posted.

EspressoDoc

Comment

Working...
                  X