Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EM6910 brewing pressure guidance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EM6910 brewing pressure guidance

    Hi guys,

    I recently posted in another forum in this site for some help on how to improve my coffees... I receive great advise but since I have a question more specific to my machine, decided to post here.

    I have a EM6910 plus EM0480 grinder.

    My question is what should be the brewing pressure... I am not liking my coffees at all and read in another site that it was important to see the pressure in which you are brewing, since ideally it should be 9 bars. So, following some advise in used my double wall double basket to (empty) to see how much pressure the EM6910 showed, and assumed that was 9 bars (this was according to what I read, not my idea).

    Now, my shots are, approx, between 12 bars at least (over the recommended pressure by SB).

    I am starting to wonder what the excess pressure effect would be on my coffee? Maybe I should grind coarser with a tight tamp to move the pressure into the 9 bars area?

    Thanks for any input!

  • #2
    Hi,

    Usually things work well if you dose, grind and tamp to get a pressure a little above the point indicated by the empty double-wall basket.

    But, if I were you I would go back to basics first. Get the dose right (5 cent test), then adjust the grind, keeping the dose constant. As long as your tamp is reasonably consistent - somewhere around "leaning on the bench-type-pressure", things will go well. I don't use the pressure gauge on that machine very much at all. Also, up-dosing too much will result in a "flat" taste and premature collar wear. Hope things improve - let us know how you go.

    Pete

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi, I have the same gear. I have never used the gauge as it stopped working not long after I got the machine. The 5c test is the same advice that I got. It is good advice. What Pete just said is all correct. The only thing that I would add is that you don't. Red to dose anywhere ear as much as you think. As long as the grind is right the metal part of the sunbeam tamp should be, depending on the bean, about 1 to 2mm proud of the basket. This will give a good shot (45-60ml in 25-40sec). Getting the grind right with the EM0480 - that can also be a refined art in it's own right! Enjoy.
      Regards, Mariner.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mariner View Post
        Hi, I have the same gear. I have never used the gauge as it stopped working not long after I got the machine. The 5c test is the same advice that I got. It is good advice. What Pete just said is all correct. The only thing that I would add is that you don't. Red to dose anywhere ear as much as you think. As long as the grind is right the metal part of the sunbeam tamp should be, depending on the bean, about 1 to 2mm proud of the basket. This will give a good shot (45-60ml in 25-40sec). Getting the grind right with the EM0480 - that can also be a refined art in it's own right! Enjoy.
        Regards, Mariner.
        Hi Gus, thanks for the advise!

        Regarding dosage, if I go to 18, I get done oily residue in my basket... So at 17 g, no oily residue but the puck is too fragile... The double I did today was good, too lemon taste but good.pressure just above recommended area.

        So, if I adjust dose, i.e. add 1 g, I guess I need to adjust the grinder too right?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cherni78 View Post
          Hi Gus, thanks for the advise!

          Regarding dosage, if I go to 18, I get done oily residue in my basket... So at 17 g, no oily residue but the puck is too fragile... The double I did today was good, too lemon taste but good.pressure just above recommended area.

          So, if I adjust dose, i.e. add 1 g, I guess I need to adjust the grinder too right?
          The lemon taste you are getting may just be the beans - it may be unavoidable. It sounds like you have a pretty good dose. Have you tried the 5c test? Once you have, that will give you the dosage. Keep tamp the same and vary grind by one notch either side. See what you like best.

          It sounds like you're making good progress to that elusive "god shot".

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi David!

            Yeah... Happiness is near!

            I've done the 5c test... that almost gives me 20g of coffee in the basket. I will try it next time, but I'm afraid 20 g will jump the pressure and time.

            One thing that I got from my last extraction (17g) is that the puck was in one peace but very fragile... I guess that is dosage right? Last time I tried 18g I had oily stains after I removed the puck.

            Ideas?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cherni78 View Post
              Hi David!

              Yeah... Happiness is near!

              I've done the 5c test... that almost gives me 20g of coffee in the basket. I will try it next time, but I'm afraid 20 g will jump the pressure and time.

              One thing that I got from my last extraction (17g) is that the puck was in one peace but very fragile... I guess that is dosage right? Last time I tried 18g I had oily stains after I removed the puck.

              Ideas?
              20g is what I use in my e61 (i know, i know, completely different machine :P). If 20g is what the 5c test gives, that's what I would be using. You might need to grind a little courser, but this isn't a bad thing. From what I've heard with the 6910 (and most sunbeams actually) it's better to up-dose as much as possible.

              Trust the 5c test!

              For the record: the only time I've used a 6910 is a friends, complete with preground and double-walled baskets. So not a good comparison. :P

              Comment


              • #8
                Ok! I'll try tonight... Have you ever had any oily residue after you removed the puck?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cherni78 View Post
                  Ok! I'll try tonight... Have you ever had any oily residue after you removed the puck?
                  Not that I noticed/remember. Sorry I can't help more on that side of things.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I also have an EM6910 and agree with the information here. I use a dose of 20g (beans within three weeks of roasting) in the standard sunbeam double basket and then adjust the grind so that I get ~50mL in ~30secs. Using this technique I get consistently good results with my machine. The pressure stat consistently reads past the "recommended" zone and usually almost into the red but as others have said this isn't too much of a concern. The test is in the tasting.

                    Other things to remember: The beans absolutely MUST be fresh. Optimal days post-roast can change for different beans and blends but a good rule of thumb is less than three weeks post-roast. Your distribution and tamping technique also play a big role in the results in the cup.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not sure what you mean by oily residue, but now I thing about it I was around the 20g dose mark as well. I have upgraded to an E61 machine now but can assure you the 6910 can make good shots. Keep plugging away!

                      Pete

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks guys... I'll try 20g/19g (5 cent test) and see how it goes.

                        I think that my grinder has its tricks too... I realized that in order to change a setting, sometimes is better to turn it on, go to setting below the one I want, and then go one up....

                        Has this every happened to anyone?

                        Cheers!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi Guys,

                          Finally tried with 20g and a finer grind setting... This is what I got:



                          It tasted really good... more balanced, not so much lemon taste

                          It took 22 secs to get almost 60 ml. What I don't get is why at the beginning the pour was so think... but then it was normal!

                          Pressure guage in the limit... so good

                          Any comments? Did I stop it at the right time?

                          Cheers!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You stopped it a little later than I would have. But i do like a tighter ristretto. But this is the joy of being a home barista! All that matters is how YOU like your coffee. =)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by David8 View Post
                              You stopped it a little later than I would have. But i do like a tighter ristretto. But this is the joy of being a home barista! All that matters is how YOU like your coffee. =)
                              Hi David8!

                              Yeah... Indeed... Would you go a little more finer on the grind? I wonder why it started so thick the pour...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X