Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading from Incanto to Breville or DeLonghi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from Incanto to Breville or DeLonghi?

Hi everyone
    new post, please forgive the new-bie-ness of it.

I'm after some advice to help me finalise a decision about a new machine.

We have enjoyed reasonable ease, consistency, and good coffees from a Saeco Incanto Classic Semi-Auto for the past 8 years. We are surprised she has lasted so long. She decided not to wake up earlier this week... and so my hunt for an upgrade begins, as she's had a few services and I don't think it's worth servicing her again (for us anyway).
    Key Background:
    • I make 90% of the coffees in our home
    • We drink 3-4 lattes per day
    • We currently use Coffee Hit Serene Bean, and the odd pre-ground decaf
    • I have previously worked in a cafe on a nice commercial semi-manual machine
    • I prefer to have friends over than pay for the ordinary coffees at local cafes, but that's an issue for another day
    • I enjoy steaming my own milk and producing a nice fine foam
    • We both enjoy excellent coffee (quite snobby when it comes to buying lattes)

I have license to choose the next machine, however the caveat is that I need to really justify the decision. One of the reasons I am coming to you is that there is a large discrepancy between the price of the machine I think I want and the machines my husband thinks will do just fine.

We have David Jones vouchers to use towards the machine of my choice. David Jones have 15% off coffee machines at the moment, with the exception of a rather appealing deal.

I started out looking at the De Longhis, particularly the Delonghi Magnifica ECAM23210B (new model? $714 after discounts/cash back) and the Magnifica ECAM22110SB (older model, RRP $1224 after discounts/cash back). But subjectively - as I haven't actually had a coffee from one yet - I don't really like them - plasticy, rigid, they just don't feel convincing to me. My husband sees it as resembling the Incanto and adequate to give us consistent, easy coffees that we can steam our own milk on... I think the ECAM23210B would be his top choice. I can't work out what the difference is between the Magnifica models and why the newer seemingly same spec machine is cheaper than the older model...? Can anyone clarify for me?

Then I saw the Breville Dual Boiler BES900 (BDB) + Smart Grinder BCG800 duo deal for $1269, had it demonstrated for me, and was fairly convinced. Supported by fairly good reviews on here and elsewhere, it feels like the right machine for me. The size would be ok, I am confident I could get the grind, tamping and pour right... I like it. But my husband is not convinced it is worth $500 more than the Delonghi, or even the Breville Fresca BES860 with onboard grinder ($679 after discount + citrus press - hmmm...).

I haven't looked at Sunbeam, Jura seems too expensive for what they are, not sure about the Phillips Saeco brand anymore & what on earth is Bosch making coffee machines for?

I have also researched the Lelit PL042TEMD (grinder on-board) and less so the Rancillio Silvia + grinder, but there needs to be a pretty persuasive argument for going across town to look at one at Talk Coffee.

I can choose the machine that makes me happy, however I also need to make sure I am making the best choice.

I am leaning towards the Breville Dual Boiler BES900.

Am I on the right track. Is the BDB the right choice? I know this sort of question has been done to death, but I don't see much about the Delonghis (telling in itself?) so wonder if anyone can put into eloquent words why the BDB is worth $500 more than the other machines mentioned...?

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts

Upgrading from Incanto to Breville or DeLonghi?

So the questions are:

super auto v manual

If manual,

top end single boiler v appliance which is designed to deliver

There are no right answers, The super auto issue depends on what you are after Chris had recently covered this well on another thread which I would link to if I could work out how to on tapatalk

The top end single boiler issue is again a issue of what you are after and again covered by Chris well in the bes900 thread

I quess what I am saying is get in your car and go talk to some like Chris

I chose the bes900 and would chose it again but recognise its not the only answer but trust me you would love it

Comment

Working...
    X