Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breville BES900 - repaired - still faulty. Breville don't care.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BES900 - repaired - still faulty. Breville don't care.

My BES900 which was still in warranty stopped working, I believe the pump failed.
    Rang Breville who told me to take it to a service centre, which was 1/2 drive for me each way.
    Machine was sent to another store and took 3 weeks to come back. Got machine home, pump works fine now the double shot and single shot button puts out twice as much volume as before. Tried factory reset and no change. Rang service centre and they stated, we didn't check that function before sending it back as that was not why it was sent in. I consider this a pathetic excuse, it should be fully checked before returning to customer. So now I have to find another hour out of my day to return it to the service centre and then probably wait 3 more weeks to get it back.

Rang breville to complain about the service centre and effectively the response was that they don't care and they can't control what the third party service centres do. They stated they would pass on my concerns to the Breville people who deal with servicing but that there was no promise anything would be done. So I asked if I could speak to the relevant people direct and was told point blank no. So I asked if i could leave my details so they could contact me back regarding the issue, and once again I was told no.

Seems like the call centre is a nice little firewall, setup to stop legitimate complaints from getting to Breville. So customer satisfaction is no longer considered an issue, since They have my money. Problem is that I'm well known for my coffee expertise in the large company I work for and everyone keeps asking which machine to buy, I have been telling them the BES900, not anymore, seems Breville will be losing lots of potential sales.
    Last edited by Nevin; 24 August 2012, 02:19 AM.

Originally posted by Nevin View Post
    My BES900 which was still in warranty stopped working, I believe the pump failed.
    Rang Breville who told me to take it to a service centre, which was 1/2 drive for me each way.
    Machine was sent to another store and took 3 weeks to come back. Got machine home, pump works fine now the double shot and single shot button puts out twice as much volume as before. Tried factory reset and no change.
    I can understand why this would be frustrating, but before you do another drive, perhaps you can re-program the shot volumes (as opposed to a factory reset). You'll have to press the Menu button to do this.

There's a couple of meters inside the machine that calculates the water flow rate - and what this means is that your shot volume will vary every now and then depending on a number of variables including bean freshness, grind size, dosage amount etc.

Comment

Well I managed to sort it out, no thanks to Breville. I ended up manually setting the volume of output, then after, I turned it off and did a factory reset which seems to have returned to the factory set volume. When I originally rang the Breville helpline I asked the guy if there was anyone with technical knowledge of the machine I could speak t,o and he stated that the Helpline staff were the only ones I could speak to and he could only tell me what the manual said to do, which was to perform a simple reset, which didn't work after multiple attempts.

So finally I have my BES900 back to how it should be. Not that it makes me feel any less frustrated at my interactions with the Third Party Service people, or the Breville helpline.
      Last edited by Nevin; 24 August 2012, 02:19 AM. Reason: Gramatical errors

Comment

I can't help but think your frustration is a bit misguided here. Those shot buttons are user programmable - they are meant for you to program what volume you want from them. I read your complaint a bit like someone complaining that they sent in a stereo amplifier for repair and when it was returned the volume knob was at 4, but they only listen to music at 2, so they need the repair shop to take it back and fix it?

The repair shop was right in not checking a user programmable parameter that was not reported as a problem.

Breville were also right in thinking it was not a problem, and were right in referring to reading the manual - where you find out that this is a user programmable parameter, a bit like volume on a stereo, which you set as you like.

I really think there is some unfair finger pointing on this one. Just saying.

Comment

I bet you had to set the clock to the correct time too right?

Comment

All this electronics! I sympathise Kym, it's just not nice to be told, but I'm glad you got your machine working, despite getting the help-desk run-around. Here's a thought, you might be happier with a less gadgety machine since I'm not sure that electronics and espresso were ever meant to be, a bit like trying to quantify the unquantifiable, if you get my drift. Hope your machine keeps firing for you.

Comment

I ended up manually setting the volume of output, then after, I turned it off and did a factory reset which seems to have returned to the factory set volume.
              So setting the volume then doing a factory reset was the fix? Seems an odd fix.

If you now set a custom/manual shot volume and unplug your machine overnight does it remember the settings?
              I'm curious if the nvram/pic or whatever is storing the settings is ok.

Comment

My frustrations came from the fact that I had to use an unorthodox method to get my unit to reset to factory settings. You see I am not the ony one who uses this machine and the rest of my family have no idea how to manually extract to the correct amount. I think it is amazing that my 7 year old daughter can grind/fill/tamp pull a shot using the two cup button, resulting in a near perfect coffee. It is one of her favourite things to do in the kitchen. She got more upset when the machine left for repairs than I did. So to have it come back and seemingly be in a condition that neither my daughter or wife could use would have meant the machine was of little use to me.

I am hopeful that the nvram manages to keep this setting, if not I will have to go without it for multiple weeks again. My other concern is that the service centre will receive it, manage to reset it, state that it is fine, and the have it once again lose it's default settings for me. Resulting in once more having to return it for repairs, in a never ending cycle of disappointment and frustration with no recourse.

So provided it manages to keep this default setting, all will be fine.

Comment

Also to clarify, my 7 year old doesn't drink coffee , she just enjoys making them.

Comment

Well as I feared, got up this morning to use the machine and it has lost the setting, Double shot button puts out about 150 mls, so looks like its back to the shop with it. So looks like once again I will have to play the waiting game and hope to hell that when it comes back they have actually fixed it, or something else isn't wrong with it when it returns.

"Ohh, what's that you say, the steam function isn't working. Well we didn't check that, after we pulled all the guts out and put it back together, because that wasn't what you complained was wrong with it."
                    Last edited by Nevin; 24 August 2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

...Double shot button puts out about 150 mls...
                      Out of curiosity, you did this measurement using a correctly dosed basket right? Although the preset shot buttons are volumetric, they do require the resistance of the coffee in order to function. They will give a larger water volume if this isn't provided. This is also an important point when you're programming the settings too, of course...

Comment

Yeah each time checked in real world conditions. Double basket (single wall) filled with fresh grinds from my Compac K8.

Comment

Based on this article:

Jack Lord confirmed as permanent Breville Group CEO - Current: Electrical, Electronics and Appliance Industry News and Issues

Jonathan 'Jack' Lord is the CEO.......i'd hazard a guess that their email domain is @breville.com.au so i'd be flicking an email to jonathan.lord@breville.com.au detailing your concerns. You'd be surprised how often this works.

Comment

Well I have returned the machine to the service centre and was told they will have a look at it Wednesday 2 weeks from now. So great it'll end up being over a month with out the machine.

One other thing I just realised, when the machine came back the little filter, which I had recently replaced, that fits in water tank came back smelling funky, probably from exposure to air during the 3 week absence. Stupid me I replaced it when I got the machine back not expecting there to be a problem, so now I of course forget to remove it when I returned it today, so I have managed to waste 4 months worth of filters.
                            Last edited by Nevin; 24 August 2012, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I have returned the machine to the service centre and told they will have a look at it Wednesday 2 weeks from now. .
                              Interesting how that 2 week time frame seems to keep cropping up in service quotes for these m/c's ?

Comment

Working...
                              X