Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puck question

Hi,
    I've recently purchased a Silvia and a rocky. (coffee-a-roma were great to deal with. Thanks Lawrence).

I've learened a lot and am beggining to get more consistent.
    Somewhere along the line I have heard that to get optimum extraction the puck should come out solid but the top of the puck should we wet/watery.

I used to get this in the beggining but lately my pucks have been pretty dry especially at the top.

My question is what variable am I meant to adjust the get to a slightly wet puck at the top at the end of the extraction.
    Should I be changing dosing amount, grind size or tamp pressure?

I should note that I have since gone to a different bean? Could the bean change the charechteristics of a puck?

Thanks

Ogi

If the coffee tastes good, dont worry what the puck looks like.

Comment

Dont worry about it too much, but the variable that changes this is dose, or how full the basket is. If you put less coffee in the basket you will get a more watery puck.

The way I like to think about it is that I am adjusting the grind in order to get an extraction taste that I want, (finer grind will increase extraction, ie ideal for lightly roasted coffees.) I adjust dose to balance this out and get the shot time I want. I pay very little attention what the puck looks like.

Comment

Isn't that funny...I've heard the opposite: that when a puck is firm (not rock hard, just firm) that it's a good indication of good extraction. i.e. if after extraction, once you've knocked the puck out, you can easily break the puck into perfect halves then the dosing was good.

Comment

Puck question

Originally posted by aaronpratt View Post
          Isn't that funny...I've heard the opposite: that when a puck is firm (not rock hard, just firm) that it's a good indication of good extraction. i.e. if after extraction, once you've knocked the puck out, you can easily break the puck into perfect halves then the dosing was good.
          That were only true until you meet the VST basket

Comment

Really? A VST basket has that much difference?

Comment

Thank you for the replys and suggestions.
              I should clarify. When I say watery on top I mean a firm puck with only the top part of the puck being slightly watery/runny.

Since this post I have done a domestic course, this has helped a bit. I believe that in order to get a watery puck you would be under dosing.

I am now dosing sligtly more and getting a dry puck but a better extraction. I'm putting 20.5 - 21 g into an 18g basket. Does this sound right?

I'm also realizing that dosing is another way of controlling extraction time(more=slower). Another variable to play with when fine tuning. I'll be aiming to do this before I go down in grind.

Comment

Originally posted by ogip View Post
                I am now dosing sligtly more and getting a dry puck but a better extraction. I'm putting 20.5 - 21 g into an 18g basket. Does this sound right?
                I'm a believer in dose to your machine+basket combo. I'm currently dosing 21g in a VST and getting nice extractions. But I got told off the other day for dosing 20g. I believe the basket weight (18g) is just a guide. You want to dose so you have a small amount of clearance between the showerscreen and the puck. If this is 20.5 -21g then this sounds right to me.

At the end of the day. You may your coffee how you like it. Not what some member (that you haven't met before) on a forum says. I'm not the one drinking your coffee.

Comment

For what it's worth, since I bought an accurate set of scales to help with dosing, I've found that I need to dose approx 2 to 2-5g higher than the basket's nominal capacity to achieve decent extraction and dry puck.

I'm using single baskets, but I'm sure a similar thing happens when using doubles.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have a 15 gram ridgeless VST and I dose between 20.5 to 21.5 grams, puts out 25 second shots that are tiger striped and taste fantastic

Comment

Working...
                    X