Confusing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing?

My 2 1/2 yr old Sunbeam EM 6910 has died and after copious reading of this forum and other information posted on the internet today I set forth to look at coffee machines. Went to Davy Jones at Kotara [Newcastle] to check out what they had in stock. Had a look at the Delonghi machines and the star of the moment the Breville 900. Was offered help by the staff [didn't know at that time they were temps who were not employed by DJ's] and told the Breville 900 was an exacting machine that demanded following instructions to the letter and was temperamental went on to look at the Delonghis of which they had about 10 machines. Was told a certain model was the best and another model not worth buying, after this advice went home and checked out the reviews of both Delonghi models, the model I was told was best had bad reviews and the other model [not worth buying] had the best.

I needed a coffee after this, but not before I walked out of Davy Jones with a Bodum Coffee presser

I am looking for a coffee machine in this price range, is there anywhere in Newcastle besides DJ's where they are sold and demonstrated?
    Last edited by balwoges; 31 August 2012, 07:21 AM.

Temperamental my arse...Harvey Norman sell them, Good Guys sell them, I don't know who actually demonstrates them though, might have to ring around and ask. I know specifically that Harvey Norman in Rutherford have the 900 on display.

What they might mean is that compared to the Delonghi 'press a button, get a coffee' machines, yes you do have to manually do things yourself, having an EM6910 already this is of no hardship to you.

Comment

Just goes to show that HN and the other majors should stick to fridges and TVs.

Comment

The major retailers stock the run of the mill coffee machines, the Breville 900 looks good but would like to look at the Italian machines before I buy, this is when living in a regional area [Nelson Bay] is a pain - had to go to Newcastle to buy coffee plunger.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
          Just goes to show that HN and the other majors should stick to fridges and TVs.
          Chris, I agree with you. It is a pity that you are not let compete with them.

You can see by their displays that they sell more pod and super auto machines than real coffee machines like the Breville.

balwoges of Nelson Bay,

Take a look at the Italian machines and get one if you like but to get the same features as the Breville 900 I believe that you will have to pay a lot more.

If you have been using an EM 6910 for 2 1/2 years you will have no trouble with a 900 or with an Italian.

If you want great coffee don't get a pod or an auto machine as you can't get the control over them.

Barry
          Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 31 August 2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by balwoges View Post
            I am looking for a coffee machine in this price range, is there anywhere in Newcastle besides DJ's where they are sold and demonstrated?
            What exact price range? $1100-1500 or higher?

A nice Italian will cost you $2000 minimum. Does your budget include a grinder? What grinder do you already have?

Your sunbeam lasted 2 1/2 years - disappointing. I would expect better service from a machine if you spend more money on it. Do you use a water filter?

The Domayne near me was demonstrating the Breville BES900 (West Gosford) I also have had a Saeco salesman tell me how goot the Breville DB is. There is a massive thread here on the BES900 most of it very positive. I'm sure you would be happy with one. Real question is how much is your budget?

If you want to see an Italian in action, you might need to drive to Sydney.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidW1960 View Post
              What exact price range? $1100-1500 or higher?

A nice Italian will cost you $2000 minimum.
              Actually, it won't. We have a great Italian at $1.7k

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                Actually, it won't. We have a great Italian at $1.7k
                Like to know the brand please - if not on this forum perhaps you can send me private message.

Thanks for everyone's input - much appreciated

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by balwoges View Post
                  Like to know the brand please..

Cheers,
                  Done! Information sent via PM

Comment

I love the feel of Italian machines -
                    and the repairability and thus life expectancy.

I don't know Newcastle well, but I was in Lorn today and there's a great little joint there selling serious machines.
                    And lovely coffee.

Good luck!

Comment

Lorn? That sleepy little village - will keep that in mind, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X