Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 Portafilter unscrewing..!

Hi People,

I've got a EM6910 which is starting to develop an odd problem I'm hoping one of your good selves can shed some light on. The portafilter is 'unscrewing' itself when I'm pouring a coffee, and needs to be held in the 6 o clock position to stop it unscrewing completely, falling out and decorating my kitchen bench with coffee grinds/water. I'm locking the PF securely into position and using my standard 18g dose of coffee (in a VST 18g basket), and using my standard grind setting (8-9 on a EM0480 grinder). The pressure gauge is in the mid-point of the green section, and the problem doesn't happen when I don't put coffee into the basket. I've recently had the collar replaced, though this problem only started happening around 4 weeks after the collar replacement.

Any ideas why this would be happening? It's really annoying as it means I cant steam and pour at the same time without it getting messy!

Its normally caused by a worn collar and / or worn lugs on the PF. Since your collar is new I'd be looking for worn lugs. I'd also do the 5 cent test to make absolutely sure that you are not overdosing. Try a slightly under dosed shot and see what happens.

Comment

Had a similar problem a few years ago, a bit of careful work on the lugs with a fine file (to reduce the slope) on the lugs fixed it, just be careful not to remove too much metal.
      You could always try borrow a PF in good condition and see if it cures the problem, if it does buy a new one.

Comment

EM6910 Portafilter unscrewing..!

If this was a BES900 I'd say that filing trick would work too. It can also be caused if the seal is wet or soapy from back flushing..

Comment

thanks for the tips everyone, I'll give filing the lugs on the PF a go tonight and see how it goes. I've been looking for a reason/excuse to splurge on a naked PF so if the filing doesn't help this could be my justification to 'she who must be obeyed'!

Comment

Try a underdosed shot first ( underdosed from where you normally dose), before bringing out the tools

Comment

Originally posted by derrilex View Post
              Try a underdosed shot first ( underdosed from where you normally dose), before bringing out the tools
              I was going to suggest you lock it in a bit further. It's not unusual for an old machine to go past the 60clock position. The further you lock it in, the better the seal.

Comment

I'm having the same problem and just wondering if/how you fixed it? The price of a new portafilter is quite high, and I'm not entirely sure that is the problem, so I'm hoping I can find a cheaper alternative

Comment

I suggest a good clean and rinse of the head and seal as a first option.

If that doesn't work, try using a bit of sandpaper on the top of the basket where it meets the rubber seal in the head.
                  A few strokes in a radial pattern works for me. Sometimes everything is just too smooth and slippery.

Greg

Comment

My EM6910 had recently had a new collar fitted and I was having the same problem with my old portafilter unscrewing itself.

I took your advice Yelta. Via CS, I managed to borrow a new portafilter (there are some very kind and helpful people on here) to help with the puzzle.

The new PF was even worse, so after careful comparison between the two PF's, out came the files to modify my existing one....just a little bit at a time and finally ...success! Problem solved and for the first time in ages I am finally getting good results.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzique View Post
                      My EM6910 had recently had a new collar fitted and I was having the same problem with my old portafilter unscrewing itself.

I took your advice Yelta. Via CS, I managed to borrow a new portafilter (there are some very kind and helpful people on here) to help with the puzzle.

The new PF was even worse, so after careful comparison between the two PF's, out came the files to modify my existing one....just a little bit at a time and finally ...success! Problem solved and for the first time in ages I am finally getting good results.
                      Good stuff Suzique, always nice to hear of a positive outcome.

Had a similar problem with the PF of my Silvia some years back and cured it in a similar manner.

Comment

Working...
                      X