Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying secondhand sunbeam EM6910 - what to check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying secondhand sunbeam EM6910 - what to check?

Hi all, i am pretty much a new comer here. And pretty much newbie to making my own espresso.

After reading the posts here I 've decided to get a secondhand EM6910 rather than a cheaper but new machine.
    On a quick google search i found a few seconhand EM6910 machines being sold for $200ish, or $400 for the EM6910 with a burr grinder
    most of them are 1 - 2 years old

any suggestion on what sort of burr grinder i should look for? and "check list" on things i need to check?

regards

I'm no expert but good things to check would be if the group collar is worn (use the search function to see what you should be looking out for) and whether the pressure guage is working. Also see if they still have the receipt. My secondhand 6910's steam pump just died but it was replaced for free under Sunbeam's 5 year pump warranty.

Liam

Comment

Thanks liam, will do so

cheers

Comment

G'Day,

I have owned two EM6910, they made close to 10 coffees per day for 18 months. Very strong and reliable machine. Parts are easy to get online.

The first developed an issue that i was quoted at $300 to fix. So I bought another and kept the first for spares.

When the BES900 came out we upgraded. I have since sold the BES900 as I was a little dissapointed with the machine as time went by.

Since then we have upgraded once more to a lever machine, both Sunbeams were given to family members. The first repaired, ended up just being a fuse and is going strong, the second still like new.

Only down side to the Sunbeam, it is very noisy.

I would buy new through Harvey Norman at 40 months interest free and have the full warranty. But that just me.

Think of the money you will save making great coffee at home and the extra spent will be saved in coffee costs.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnvelo View Post

When the BES900 came out we upgraded. I have since sold the BES900 as I was a little dissapointed with the machine as time went by.
          Hmm, I only just a got a used 6910, upgraded from a Breville 800ES, and like the machine a lot. It's certainly a better machine than the 800.

It's always been my intention to go the Dual Boiler. Why were you dissapointed in the BES900?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by justL View Post
            Hi all, i am pretty much a new comer here. And pretty much newbie to making my own espresso.

After reading the posts here I 've decided to get a secondhand EM6910 rather than a cheaper but new machine.
            On a quick google search i found a few seconhand EM6910 machines being sold for $200ish, or $400 for the EM6910 with a burr grinder
            most of them are 1 - 2 years old

any suggestion on what sort of burr grinder i should look for? and "check list" on things i need to check?

regards
            Hi JustL,

It comes down to personal choice and budget. To offer my opinion is if i was you keep an eye out on this forum, i picked up a em6910 for my partners work. Its been a great machine. I prefer it over the breville range. Its just a personal choice. However if you are going to go for a grinder i would suggest the Brveille smart grinder. Depends on what your budget is.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

I have my EM6910 paired with the Brevile Smartgrinder and a Pullman tamper. Great combination.

I use only single wall, double shot basket.

I picked up my 6910 on Gumtree (local classifieds, I visited the owner and checked the machine) and the new and unused Smartgrinder from a fellow forum member.

I looked for signs of corrosion, made sure the steam pump and extraction pump work, had a look underneath and checked for excessive wear on the brew head lock, made sure the portafilter would lock in tight without excessive play, checked the seal, checked the showerscreen.

When I got mine home, I removed the showerehad and cleaned, ordered new seals and replaced, and descaled. I have also ordered a new steam knob as the current knob is worn with the markings barley visible.

Comment

I should add that i have read some people have problems with the steam nob, not working properly and sometimes not working at all. How simple the fix i'm unsure and how common the problem is i dont know. Some may know more on here about this, but may pay to take note when looking for one.

Comment

Originally posted by whowe View Post
                  Hmm, I only just a got a used 6910, upgraded from a Breville 800ES, and like the machine a lot. It's certainly a better machine than the 800.

It's always been my intention to go the Dual Boiler. Why were you dissapointed in the BES900?

Bill
                  Sorry about the delay, I won't go into it here. There is already a thread for the BES900 that has thousands of replies. It is a nice machine but for the money not a great machine.

For me it tries to be too fancy, the 6910 has better after sales support and parts supply and over the 12 month use was more consistant in it's results than the BES900.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    I'm no expert but good things to check would be if the group collar is worn (use the search function to see what you should be looking out for) and whether the pressure guage is working. Also see if they still have the receipt. My secondhand 6910's steam pump just died but it was replaced for free under Sunbeam's 5 year pump warranty.

Liam
                    In order to get this, did you receive the receipt/warranty card/info from the seller? I just bought a 2nd hand 6910 which the seller believed to be in working order (had been in storage for a couple of years), but when I cleaned it up and got it going, the coffee/hot water side of things works fine, but the steam side does nothing other than making some quiet clicks inside the machine after I turn the steam dial. The seller is looking for any warranty information at present, and will refund my money if she can't find them, so I should be ok in either case... but I did call Sunbeam to ask if warranties transfer over with a second hand purchase and the woman I talked to instantly said 'NO'... didn't seem to be much wiggle room, so I'd need the original documents to 'pretend' I'm the original owner.

If she can't find the details and refunds my money (I'm guessing with me keeping the machine as it's quite a drive to take it back to her), then I'd be looking into how expensive it is to fix the steam pump

Comment

Working...
                    X