Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunbeam EM6910 - What's wrong?... Fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6910 - What's wrong?... Fixable?

New to these forums... but been having great coffees from my Em5600 for approx 6 months now!

Recently acquired a second hand Em6910.

Was not a particularly well looked after machine, so been given a good clean inside and out and descaled, reset to factory presets, but...

When pressing the manual button the pump only works for a few seconds... occasionally is will deliver the full preset of 240mls, but this is only about 1:10 presses.

Same issue when using the one shot/two shot buttons... will not deliver the proper dose... or indeed ANY dose at times...

I think this may be a stuffed controller board... am I right?
    Is it fixable?
    Am I wrong?
    If I'm wrong - what are the other possibilities?
    Are they fixable?

....or should I just throw it as a bad joke?

I did the control board on my second hand 6910 about two years ago (tipped it on its back with the power on and water leaked in - doh) and the new board cost $70-80 (plus labour). Did a pump sometime later - 4 years and 51 weeks into the five year warranty - yes! - and it's been fine ever since. I clean and descale regularly, flush before and after every use and I'm still surprised how good the shots are. I recently coupled it with a Mazzer Mini (thanks, Ron) and now the only problem is me and what I don't know yet about making even better coffee. I'll upgrade eventually, but only when either I'm confident I've learnt all I can on this machine (and I've got some cash) or it dies.

But then I notice CSer arronplatt selling his two year old 6910 in Melbourne for $225. That's got to be a good deal.

Comment

All go now?!!! :-)

Thanks for reply alanc...

Seems, after doing a backflush/head clean, and leaving it overnight that it is happy again and working perfectly this morning????!

Oh, well!... cant argue with good luck.

Got this one for $125NZ on Trademe ...a little rough around the edges, but..

One thing I have noticed already is that both the coffee and the milk is way hotter (yes, do use a milk thermometer) than from the EM5900... way better, but may dial down the brew temp a little as it has a touch of bitterness.

Got a Breville BarAroma grinder at the same time... not fine enough for the EM6910 till I did the mod... 15 mins, done, fantastic!... perfect grind for my machine now!

Awesome forums guys.

Comment

hi jobiwan

Well hell, that was an easy fix. Glad it's worked out.

Cheers

Alan

Comment

Working...
        X