Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6910 (Cafe Series) - Seal Issues

Hi all

A completely newbie to the forums.

I bought the machine for use in a small office. We go through about 0.5kgs
    a week, not a large amount, but enough.

I have been through a calc filter and also four group seals. I change
    the seals once the handle tension has slackened right off (handle pulls
    to the right with very little force) and/or if the seal starting popping.

I have just changed the seal again, and am concerned that the last two
    times, the seal popping has still occurred. The seal i pulled out, whilst having
    some staining, still seemed to be in relatively good condition. I have just changed
    the seal again today, and on the first two extractions, there is water pissing everywhere.
    I have also noted that even with the new seal fitted, there is still very little
    handle tension which doesnt seem right (i recall when i previously changed the seal,
    the handle would feel 'firmer' in the machine).

The only other thing I can think of, is if the basket could have worn, and needs
    to be replaced (is this even possible?)

Anyway, Im a little lost about what to do now and was hoping someone might
    have an idea.

Hello Desbos,

First up I should say that I don't have any experience with an EM6910, but I did have a very similar situation with an EM4820. After fitting a second new seal I still had leakage unless the tamp was very light. The leakage was always on the one side of the head/handle.

Then I noticed that the group handle was not quite parallel with the head. I could only see this when looking down from above, while the machine was lying on on it's back (hope that bit makes sense).

On closer inspection with a very bright torch, I found that the group head had a black plastic insert with which the lugs on the handle engaged to lock it in place. It must be there to prevent metal to metal contact between the head and the handle lugs. It is shaped to provide a "camming" action with the handle lugs thus providing pressure between the basket and the seal.

This insert had either crushed or come loose from the group head so that it no longer made good contact with the lug on one side. I had already complained to Sunbeam about needing a third seal so soon after fitting the second one, and they had sent me a free one, so I contacted the same customer service rep, explained the problem, and asked if they would send me a new insert.

They advised that fitting a new insert was a difficult operation, and offered to replace the unit with a new one - which they arranged through the store where I bought it.

Having said all of that I have no idea whether your 6910 has the same or similar head to handle lug arrangement as a 4820, or if it is completely different. However, since they come from the same maker it is a possibility, and worth having a look at.

Cheers, Leo.

Comment

It's possible that your group collar is wearing away. I believe this happens over time from slight overdosing. This happened on my machine and I had to insert a spacer before I put the group seal in. Eventually I had to replace the group collar.

As I haven't done 5 posts yet (I'm a LONG time lurker) I can't post the links, so you'll need to search the forum - I dropped the start of the url and the DOThtml bit off the end to see if that works.
      /brewing-equipment-midrange-500-1500/32629-em6910-group-seal-shim
      /brewing-equipment-midrange-500-1500/20747-leaking-em6910
      /brewing-equipment-midrange-500-1500/29648-em6910-collar-replacement-how-guide

Comment

Originally posted by GreatKingRat View Post
        It's possible that your group collar is wearing away. I believe this happens over time from slight overdosing. This happened on my machine and I had to insert a spacer before I put the group seal in. Eventually I had to replace the group collar.

As I haven't done 5 posts yet (I'm a LONG time lurker) I can't post the links, so you'll need to search the forum - I dropped the start of the url and the DOThtml bit off the end to see if that works.
        /brewing-equipment-midrange-500-1500/32629-em6910-group-seal-shim
        /brewing-equipment-midrange-500-1500/20747-leaking-em6910
        /brewing-equipment-midrange-500-1500/29648-em6910-collar-replacement-how-guide
        Thanks for the help everyone.

After much searching, I agree its the collar which is kaputski. Ive found a great doc online which goes into heaps
        of detail. Its a pity about the 5 posts no linky rule, im in the same boat.

The collar part is about $60.00, so it looks like ill have a project for next weekend!

UPDATE: Ive found group head seal spacers/shims, which are only $4.00 a pop, so will give these a go to keep me
        caffenated in the meantime whilst making arrangments for the major surgery of collar replacement.

Comment

Just finished my 2nd collar replacement, I suspect using the same guide you mentioned.
          If you are reasonably handy this is a pretty easy thing to do.
          One tip: when lifting the top off be very careful to lift the housing upwards missing the hot water and steam microswitches (I broke the hot water one and had to replace it ($20))

Comment

Im glad I found the shim option, seems like an easier stop gap for now.

I look forward to doing the collar replacement at some point, just for the sheer
            joy of the fun-fiddling factor, however cant help but have some fear of busting my machine!
            (ie, finish collar replacement with 6 screws wondering where they should be installed).

PS: And while mentioning it, how freaking awesome is the 6910! Ultimate bang for your buck!

Comment

Working...
            X