Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with BES900 shot running fast even on finest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with BES900 shot running fast even on finest.

Hi,

Just wondering what may cause my espresso shot to be running extremely fast with my BES900 even though I've set the grind to the finest setting on the breville smart grinder? I'm using Vittoria mountain blend beans. They are about 2 weeks old but i've kept them locked in an air tight container. I've also noticed it's worse with the double basket then single.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

You say the beans are 2 weeks old. Do you have a roasted on date? I believe your problem lies with the beans; stale beans (over 6 weeks from roasting) will result in very fast pours. Try some fresh beans, say 10-14 days from the day they are roasted, and see how you go. Buy the beans from an establishment that can tell you conclusively when the beans were roasted. Supermarket beans are usually stale. Let us know where you live and someone can suggest a source nearby. Alternatively, contact the site sponsors, a lot of them sell freshly roasted beans.
    In regards to Vittoria beans, unless you are buying direct from the roastery (with the roasted on date clearly marked), they are generally old and a waste of money.
    Coffee is a fresh food product, it does deteriorate.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Bosco is correct regarding freshness & roasted on dates. It might also be that your grinder needs a "shim kit" to allow it to grind finer. Drop me a PM with your name & address & I'll put a shim kit in the post.

Cheers, Phil

Comment

I've had really fresh beans from a local supplier,
        My normal beans are sourced from DiBella and are usually within a week of roasting (takes me a couple of weeks to use the kilo bag)
        And i've used supermarket beans.

none of them take any massive adjustments of the grinder to get a good, consistent pour (EM6910 + EM0480)
        the flavour is obviously radically different in some cases

Comment

the beans might be the problem but try to check also how fine the finest is for that beans. how many seconds are we talking about here as fast?

Comment

Thanks guys for the help. I bought some Vittoria Oro beans from Woolworths few days ago and while not the freshest the shot has improved a little bit more.

jhocarz: To get 30mls from the shot was taking ~8-10 seconds.
            Phil: Thanks for the kind gesture mate. I'll pm my address to you

Comment

Originally posted by mbaddah View Post
              Thanks guys for the help. I bought some Vittoria Oro beans from Woolworths few days ago and while not the freshest the shot has improved a little bit more.
              If you insist on using stale beans you should try using the dual wall baskets to compensate. Paying $20 for a kg of stale beans at Woollies may seem like a good idea however if you want to get great coffee it's going to cost you more for good beans. You should try 200g from a local roaster and see/taste the difference.

Comment

FYI..My local IGA has Vittoria beans that were roasted on Sept 18th !!
                They may not be the ultimate bean, ..but they are not stale !

Comment

Working...
                X