De-lurk: Looking to buy BES900 + BGC800 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-lurk: Looking to buy BES900 + BGC800 combo

Long-time lurker, first time poster. To begin - thanks for all the great advice on the site.

To continue: After reading a ton of info on the site, I've decided to upgrade from pre-ground coffee & a little Sunbeam with pressurised baskets to a Breville Dual-Boiler and a Smart-Grinder. While the though of making a PID-controlled Silvia gets my nerd-senses all aquiver, the reality is that buying an off-the-shelf Breville with similar features will fit my available spare time a lot better.

I'm wondering if there's a sponsor in Sydney who does a package? There appears to be some pretty huge variability in the price - I've seen combos down to $1,100 for the pair.

I live in the Inner West of Sydney and work in North Sydney. Replies here or via email (which you should be able to send via the forum - I've turned on "accept email from members".

Originally posted by RLane View Post
    Long-time lurker, first time poster. To begin - thanks for all the great advice on the site.

To continue: After reading a ton of info on the site, I've decided to upgrade from pre-ground coffee & a little Sunbeam with pressurised baskets to a Breville Dual-Boiler and a Smart-Grinder. While the though of making a PID-controlled Silvia gets my nerd-senses all aquiver, the reality is that buying an off-the-shelf Breville with similar features will fit my available spare time a lot better.

I'm wondering if there's a sponsor in Sydney who does a package? There appears to be some pretty huge variability in the price - I've seen combos down to $1,100 for the pair.

I live in the Inner West of Sydney and work in North Sydney. Replies here or via email (which you should be able to send via the forum - I've turned on "accept email from members".
    Pretty sure there are no sponsors who stock the BDB. But if there are, your best bet would be to use the quote form above: CoffeeSnobs Site Sponsors Quote

This will contact all of the site sponsors, those who can help you will respond, those who can't will not.

Comment

RL, welcome to CS.

There are no Sponsors selling the BDB now. When they did, they didn’t have the turnover to attract the support from Breville. They have said here that they cannot buy from Breville at the price sold by discount stores.

This is a pity as the large retailers generally don’t have staff with much knowledge about coffee. They mainly sell pod machines and superautos. You will not find much support for those here.

I did buy my BDB and Smart Grinder from a Sponsor 15 months ago and they are still both performing well.

At about $11-1200 you will be getting good value. and getting away from pre ground and dual walls you will never look back.

There is a lot of good info written in the user threads here and in the instruction booklets.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
        Welcome to CS.

There are no Sponsors selling the BDB now. When they did, they didn’t have the turnover to attract the support from Brevelle. They have said here that they cannot buy from Brevelle at the price sold by discount stores.

This is a pity as the large retailers generally don’t have staff with much knowledge about coffee. They mainly sell pod machines and superautos. You will not find much support for those here.

I did buy my BDB and Smart Grinder from a Sponsor 15 months ago and they are still both performing well.

At about $11-12,000 you will be getting good value. and getting away from pre ground and dual walls you will never look back.

There is a lot of good info written in the user threads here and in the instruction booklets.

Barry
        $11-12,000?? I'd hope to get a pretty fancy BDB for that money.

Comment

Sorry, too many 00000's. My computer can't count.

I will go for another coffee.

Barry

Comment

Sorry, too many 00000's. My computer can't count.

I will go for another coffee.

Barry
            I think it may be time for coffee number 3 here as well. Exam revision cannot be done while un-caffeinated...

I think we knew what you meant, I just couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by David8 View Post
              Pretty sure there are no sponsors who stock the BDB. But if there are, your best bet would be to use the quote form above: <link I can't post>

This will contact all of the site sponsors, those who can help you will respond, those who can't will not.
              You can't use that form or post links till you have 5 posts

So here's number 2....

Comment

Confirm that no sponsors are stocking the Breville. The biggies almost always sell them at or under what our wholesale price was

Comment

Originally posted by RLane View Post
                  You can't use that form or post links till you have 5 posts

So here's number 2....
                  Oh okay. But as Barry confirmed, there are no sponsors who stock it anyway. If you want the BDB, you'll have to look at non-sponsors...

Comment

Chris of Talk Coffee and Dennis Wells of Cuppacoffee a former sponsor who sold me my gear, were the first retailers to sell the BDB in Melbourne and Sydney.

They both still say that the BDB is a good machine although they no longer sell them.

Barry

Comment

Chris of Talk Coffee and Dennis Wells of Cuppacoffee a former sponsor who sold me my gear, were the first retailers to sell the BDB in Melbourne and Sydney.

They both still say that the BDB is a good machine although they no longer sell them.

Barry
                      Correct you are Barry. They are the best machine on the market in the $1.0-1.2k range.

The only reason we can't sell them is that our wholesale price is usually more than discounted retail price at the biggies. Sad, but true.

Chris

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                        Confirm that no sponsors are stocking the Breville. The biggies almost always sell them at or under what our wholesale price was
                        So if you were going to recommend an alternative that you did sell - what would it be?

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                          Correct you are Barry. They are the best machine on the market in the $1.0-1.2k range.
                          Ah, that sort of answers my question - the BDB is the best machine under $1,500.

What about the grinder?

Comment

A realistic start point is the Compak K3P. It's a small commercial grinder which is a good match with any "prosumer" machine. Brilliant bang for buck IMHO.

Comment

The Breville Smart Grinder is well matched to the BDB. You could expect to get some improvement in evenness of grind from a more expensive grinder. I don’t know as I haven’t used one. From reading on these pages I see that some expensive ones are more messy and retain more grinds than the Smart Grinder.

Barry
                              Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 6 November 2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X