Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descaled Rancilio Silvia now wont pump water

Hi from a newbie.
    We gave our 1 year old Rancilio Silvia its first descale / clean yesterday. Used the Clean Machine product and also back flushed. Very little gunk came out (water in Beechworth is soft/ clean). Then ran 2 tanks of clean water through without incident and assumed the machine would be fine to make its next coffee.

When we started it up this morning it only seems able to pump through a paltry, feeble amount of water and the boiler got steaming hot very quickly (I switched it off in fear of blowing the boiler)
    My best guess is that some gunk has been dislodged and is blocking the flow of water to the boiler. There was a filter on the water inlet pipes that I pulled off straight away but it didn't improve the situation.

Can anybody advise me of anything I can try at home? (Im reasonably competent with the spanners)

If I need to take it to a service place any recommendations in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne? ( we bought it at Cosmorex but Canberra is too far away)

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions

Hi there,

First thing to establish is does the pump still send water out at pressure when you open the steam wand. This will tell you where the blockage is, ie. before or after the boiler. My guess is hard scale has lodged itself in the inlet channel to the solenoid, this is a fairly common occurrence after descaling.

Whether you want to try to tackle it yourself or take it for service depends on your confidence with the electrical side more than the mechanical. As always you are dealing with 240V so proceed with the utmost caution, document with photos, make sure you reconnect the earth lug to the boiler and disconnect the element before you run it again for the first time as the boiler will be empty. Also there's a fair chance something will leak when you put it back together the first time, the gotcha is the fitting between the OPV and the boiler.

If in any doubt, seek suitably qualified help - I'd be happy to assist, but I'm southern suburbs.

Hope that helps,

Rick.

Comment

Hi Rick
      Thanks so much - that is a huge help
      I definitely would prefer someone to do the job for me. When you say southern suburbs how much time approx in a car south of the city. I will be in Melbourne (Brunswick-ish) from Wed arvoe till Friday - if possible Id like to drop it off to your premises.
      CheersGary

Comment

Hi Gary, no problem, I sent you a Private Message with more info.

Comment

same peoblem, but very limited options... need advice!

I think I have the same problem. My silvia sounded starting clicking a bit, as if it had some blockage, but it has kept coming and going, as if it was moving around. I'm now living in Valencia, Spain, where the water is much harder. I use bottled water in the machine, but even that has a lot of calc. I have tried a couple of descaling cycles now to dislodge it, but now water is no longer coming through the group head. It still pumps through the steam wand, so I'm pretty sure the blockage is after the boiler. I'd take it to someone to get it fixed, but machines like this are pretty uncommon around here, so not sure if there's somewhere I can go. What are my options for potential home fixes. This is especially urgent because I have a 5 day old son who's not letting us get much sleep!
          Thanks. Mike

Originally posted by coffee_machinist View Post
          Hi there,

First thing to establish is does the pump still send water out at pressure when you open the steam wand. This will tell you where the blockage is, ie. before or after the boiler. My guess is hard scale has lodged itself in the inlet channel to the solenoid, this is a fairly common occurrence after descaling.

Whether you want to try to tackle it yourself or take it for service depends on your confidence with the electrical side more than the mechanical. As always you are dealing with 240V so proceed with the utmost caution, document with photos, make sure you reconnect the earth lug to the boiler and disconnect the element before you run it again for the first time as the boiler will be empty. Also there's a fair chance something will leak when you put it back together the first time, the gotcha is the fitting between the OPV and the boiler.

If in any doubt, seek suitably qualified help - I'd be happy to assist, but I'm southern suburbs.

Hope that helps,

Rick.

Comment

Working...
          X