Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BES860 low extraction time but coffee ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BES860 low extraction time but coffee ok?

I have just purchased a BES860. Using the handy Breville guide for the correct extraction, I found everything is in the correct range (flow starts after about 7 seconds, extraction in the correct range, espresso dark colour, seems to have an ok crema), but the whole process, from pushing the button until end of extraction takes just over 15 seconds. In the guide it says it should take 25-35 seconds. Does this mean there is still something not right?

I should add I am using the single wall filter, single shot. I tried a slightly finer setting (from 10 to 12) and that didnt seem to change anything either

Also, I feel like the extraction time might have been longer when I first tried it, but a few days ago I was making a coffee and the water ran out halfway through, and the system was struggling to still push through no water. I turned it off, refilled the water and tried again, but it took a few tries to get the system to push through the water again. Could this have affected the pump timing or anything?

thanks for your suggestions!
    Last edited by Allister; 16 November 2012, 10:37 AM.

Hi and welcome Allister,

With the BES860 you can program the extraction time, you might have to sacrifice a few shots to get your desired settings.

Comment

by changing extraction time, you mean you can manually decide how much liquid will go into your cup right (ie changing the standard 30ml or 60ml). Will doing this improve my coffee quality?

I also have a followup question. This question above related to a single shot. Now that I am trying double shots (single wall filter), the same grind of coffee, and filling coffee up to the right mark, and tamping a similar pressure, I find that my pressure is barely getting into the acceptable zone (and sure enough, no crema in the resulting shot). Is the only option to make the grind finer?

thanks for your help

Comment

Hello Allister,

Adjust the time and pressure by adjusting the grind. Coarser to increase flow and finer to reduce flow.

If you get to either end of the grinder adjustment, without suitable results, you may need to modify the grinder.

Barry

Comment

I find my bes860 very tempermental, form shot to shot the extraction time varies even when nothing has changed, something about the tamp and the distrbution of the grind i think. Try the double shot on the highest setting and tamp that badboy as hard as you can, if that doesnt choke up the machine, then the grinder isnt grinding it fine enough.

i usually pull a double shot on setting 14 with the dose at the 2-3 'oclock mark, and most times its near perfect i stop the poor after it blondes, so it rarely ever runs the full time. the single shot is another story altogether, ive never pulled 30 second shot on that ever, more like 15-20, but the coffee is fine with nice crema.

Comment

My method of modifying my BES860 grinder.

Clean out grinder by grinding the last beans, remove bean hoper, remove top grinder burr, remove water tank and drip tray.

At the top of the back of the machine, remove the two small Phillips head screws.

Turn the machine upside down on the floor on an old towel to catch any leaks of water and coffee grounds.

Underneath, at the front are two screws deep within the machine that hold the plastic top, one is hidden by the tamper. Loosen the screws enough to be able to remove the plastic top.

Turn the machine upright with the roast adjustment knob facing you. Remove the plastic lid. It can’t go far as wires are attached. Remove small screw holding the roast adjustment knob on and jiggle the knob off.

Mark the teeth of the two cogs where they meet. Lift up the small cog just enough to rotate the large cog, anticlockwise for finer or clockwise for courser. It takes some force to lift the cog. I have done it with my fingers. The last time in used a small claw tack hammer as a leaver. I have now adjusted mine by about 13 cogs anticlockwise to make the grind fine enough with some spare clicks.

Then reassemble and adjust the grind until it is perfect. It has taken me several goes to get it right.

I have now upgraded to a BES900 and smart grinder.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Allister View Post
              I have just purchased a BES860. Using the handy Breville guide for the correct extraction, I found everything is in the correct range (flow starts after about 7 seconds, extraction in the correct range, espresso dark colour, seems to have an ok crema), but the whole process, from pushing the button until end of extraction takes just over 15 seconds. In the guide it says it should take 25-35 seconds. Does this mean there is still something not right?
              Hi Allister, to start with, you can go with a finer grind but try tamping it light. It would also be good to weigh your puck to see if you're grinding too coarse. Some guidelines here:
              CoffeeGeek - Espresso: General Discussion, Espresso Shots Weight Measurement

Following that, I would highly recommend you do manual brews first to get a feel of the machine if you're really trying to troubleshoot. To do a manual brew, hold onto single or double cup button and don't let go until you get 30ml's for a single shot and 60ml's for a double shot. I would also start off with the double basket (single wall only). Single baskets can be hard to tamp correctly. Might be a little less forgiving... =)

With all of that, you're probably looking at brewing at some 11 bars with an extraction time up to 30-35 secs with the BES860. I am not sure if you will ever get a 9-9.5bar brew with a 30-35sec extraction time. I personally had to install an OPV to get the most out of this machine. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Allister, I just posted this solution to the grinder problem
                http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post485103

I found the loose top grinder burr was giving me inconsistent results.
                Taking the slack out of it really helped to fine up the grind and keep it consistent.

Comment

Working...
                X