EM6910 starts warmup but never gets there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 starts warmup but never gets there

I've scanned through the last 10 pages of this forum but haven't found a post describing my problem so here's hoping someone can enlighten me.

My Sunbeam EM6910 fails to startup. When I power it on, the red light starts flashing but it never reaches temperature (light just keeps flashing for ever). The GH colar gets very hot (too hot to touch for more than a sec) so I'm thinking it could be the steam thermoblock that has gone.

The machine is almost 5 years old and I've already had it repaired once for a blown solenoid valve. I would be tempted to try a repair myself if it was on the relatively cheap & simple side (I can solder and own a multimeter, etc.), otherwise I'm thinking about upgrading.

Anyone seen this before? Should I try and open her up and do a simple diagnosis with the multimeter or just get a new machine?

Well, no answers after 6 days... the Breville dual boiler is very tempting (but $$ hard to justify). I've got an old super auto sitting in its place on the kitchen bench ATM but I'm hating the coffee it makes. I think I'll suffer the auto until after Xmas and see if I can get the BES900 on sale or at least with the free grinder "offer" when its comes back. Sigh.

Comment

It's one of those things that sounds hard to fault find unless you know what you're doing. It might all be getting up to temperature, but it might not be sensing it correctly, or, yeah, maybe one of them is not working. Hard to tell.

Comment

It sounds like what mine did. It was the steam thermoblock on mine that wouldn't heat up and reach temp so it would just continue to flash. Personally I wouldn't go for the breville cause that's what i did and I'm not that happy with it. Very inconsistant quantities in the volumetric shots. Enough for me not to reccomend this machine. I should have bought the Musica instead for an extra $500.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have a similar problem on my second hand bought em6910. The power green light keeps flashing intermittently even though group head is already hot. The water tank warning light flashes as well with the tank full. Please help!!!!

Comment

The water tank warning light flashes as well with the tank full
            Most Likely a faulty magnet in the water level float - easily replaced - available online of from a local service centre (possibly cheaper) or just put a magnet on the back of the machine to stop the flashing. Plenty of info available in this section if you search.

Other problem could have a variety of causes - more difficult to diagnose without more details and some testing.

Trev

Comment

I had the same problem with my EM6910, and with mine it was the "Thermal Fuse" on the steam thermoblock. Have a look at this thread - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...-not-come.html, and in particular noidle22's excellent comments on fault finding.

Cheers
              Greg

Comment

I second the water tank level magnet as the first check - just try holding a magnet against the body of the machine where the water level magnet usually sits, and see if that appears to fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by renniksgn View Post
                  I had the same problem with my EM6910, and with mine it was the "Thermal Fuse" on the steam thermoblock. Have a look at this thread - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...-not-come.html, and in particular noidle22's excellent comments on fault finding.

Cheers
                  Greg
                  Me too, the repair agent sorted it quickly for very little cost.
                  I was happy

Comment

Working...
                  X