Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie.. Is this a good combo??

Hey all.. first post so go easy!

I'm looking to buy a combo (grinder/machine) for around $1000. After reading a lot of posts here I was thinking a Breville smart grinder and a BES840 machine. Is there anything else machine wise I should look at for around $750-$800? Or should I stretch the budget to get a BES900?

Cheers
    Ivan

Don t know if you have a machine as yet be my Lelit combo machine will be up for sale soon it is not even a year old purchased off a coffee snob sponsor jetblack espresso it was purchased for 1169 will be asking 850 plus postage or pickup at gold coast don t know if that is in your price bracket here are some specs.

Specifications

Made: Italy
    Brand: Lelit
    Model: PL042TEMD
    Ideal tamper size: 57.5 mm
    Materials: Stainless steel body
    Boiler: 250ml brass
    Dual mode PID temperature controller (brew and steam)
    Ball jointed steam wand
    9BAR OPV
    Tank capacity: 3.5 litres
    Power: 1250W
    Size: 32cm wide x 27cm deep x 37cm high
    Weight 12.2 kg

Comment

Originally posted by IvanG View Post
      Hey all.. first post so go easy!

I'm looking to buy a combo (grinder/machine) for around $1000. After reading a lot of posts here I was thinking a Breville smart grinder and a BES840 machine. Is there anything else machine wise I should look at for around $750-$800? Or should I stretch the budget to get a BES900?

Cheers
      Ivan
      Imho that depends only what kind of coffee you prefer.
      If you stay with espresso / Ristretto the BES900 is overkill.
      If you need to do anything with milk the the 900 is mandatory as:

- she has a dedicated boiler for steam
      - produces a mircrofoam that is extraordinary
      - hasn't the beans in the same compartment. e.g. I fear for faster degrading through heat from the brewing to the beans.

of course you can do this also very nice with a BES840 - but not as convenient.
      If the price is a vital point to you - your surely more happy with the BES 840 as for the BES 900 you need a additional grinder.

Comment

I'd go for the Lelit adjiland is about to sell personally. Having owned 2 Lelits now, I think they're great bang for buck.

Sniff

Comment

Some of my best shots ever were on my old Lelit, and this one has the PID to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by RaymondParker View Post
            Imho that depends only what kind of coffee you prefer.
            If you stay with espresso / Ristretto the BES900 is overkill.
            If you need to do anything with milk the the 900 is mandatory as:

- she has a dedicated boiler for steam
            - produces a mircrofoam that is extraordinary
            - hasn't the beans in the same compartment. e.g. I fear for faster degrading through heat from the brewing to the beans.

of course you can do this also very nice with a BES840 - but not as convenient.
            If the price is a vital point to you - your surely more happy with the BES 840 as for the BES 900 you need a additional grinder.
            I'm a long black/espresso fan, but I'd want to be able to knock out a decent cappuccino or latte if somebody asked. It's also probably important to note I'm not a hardcore coffee fanatic. As such something that does "good" coffee at a better price would be fine.

Comment

I'm a long black/espresso fan, but I'd want to be able to knock out a decent cappuccino or latte if somebody asked. It's also probably important to note I'm not a hardcore coffee fanatic. As such something that does "good" coffee at a better price would be fine.
              does the lelit interest you Ivan have sent you PM

Comment

I'm a long black/espresso fan, but I'd want to be able to knock out a decent cappuccino or latte if somebody asked.
                Then the BES840 is the one to go, according to your requirement.
                Half the price and size occupied in the kitchen of a BES900, double the fun :-)

Comment

don't rule out the sunbeam equivalent of the bes900, the em6910, or em7000 (supercedes em6910). great value and the fact that the 6910 has now been superceded means there might be some old stock that can be had cheap. i have my em6910 paired with the smart grinder and it works a treat.

Comment

You may consider silvia + smart grinder or lelit + smart grinder if the budget is around $1000 or under

(Mod Edit - Non-Sponsor Commercial Link Removed)
                    Last edited by Coffee2Di4; 2 December 2012, 09:54 AM.

Comment

hi there

Check out charlie at jetblack espresso or chris at talk coffee both are sponsors and both can help with Lelit machines.

(Mod Edit - Reference to previous link removed)
                      Last edited by Coffee2Di4; 2 December 2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

I second the 6910 and Smartgrinder combination.

Teamed with beans from a local roaster, and I make coffee as well as any that I can get anywhere.

Sunbeam also give you a free half-day course.

Good equipment, training in it, plus good beans - perfect :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X