Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM700 + BSG + new to manual machines = questions

Hi All

Im totally new to manual machines (ex nespresso user) so ive been lurking here for ages and reading up! I purchased an EM7000 + BSG yesterday and have been playing all morning trying to get a good shot out.

Ive managed to get the pour with a double basket to 30 seconds for 55-60 ml by varying my grind, trying (without much skill) to tamp the same and weighing the dose. At the moment im using 16 grams, this keeps the little gauge smack bang in the middle (for what its worth) and has the pour at 30 seconds on manual for the 60 mls.

My first (of many im sure) question is, why is my puck sticking to the screen each time!! Am i under dosing but grinding too fine? It seems to me like there isnt enough coffee in the basket........ will try to insert a picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/be8bj72cop5x2l8/shots6.jpg

Thanks in advance for any replies (and your patience!!)

Originally posted by Lukemc View Post
    My first (of many im sure) question is, why is my puck sticking to the screen each time!! Am i under dosing but grinding too fine? It seems to me like there isnt enough coffee in the basket........ will try to insert a picture.
    It shouldn't make a lot of difference but I'd say yes, your basket looks a bit underdosed to me. I've been told that you should get the dose right first, then adjust the grind for the optimal shot time.

With my EM6910, I dose by eye and I tend to add ground coffee until the basket is full and there is a reasonable peak above the level of the basket lip. I then tap to settle and tamp. I'm usually left with about 5mm between top of grinds and lip of basket. That is probably technically "overdosed" but I find it produces the best results and the pucks are perfect.

Comment

thanks. i found the 5 cent test and did that, takes about 19-20 grams at a slightly courser grind and all is looking good now

cheers

Comment

Hey all, more questions arising!

Im stil dosing 19-20 grams and getting a 27-30 second pour out of the double, crema looks good if not a bit light in colour but my coffees seem a little bitter.

Wondering if there are any suggestions (im going to do a barista course with jetblackespresso sometime in January, but have to fit it into my work schedule!)

Would posting a video of the shot pouring help?

Comment

Are your shots blonding before they finish? If the pour turns a much lighter colour towards the end, this indicates the shot is blonding and it makes the coffee taste bad as the blonde coffee is bitter (over extracted). This is due to chanelling of water through the puck, instead of an even movement of water through. Try making sure the ground coffee is evenly distributed in the filter basket before tamping. Do not add more coffee after tamping, start again if it is under dosed. Tamp evenly and smoothly once.

The other thing to try is to vary the shot temperature. Try increasing it first as it could be a little low for your beans.

Comment

yeah i think it is blonding towards the end. Maybe i need to grind even finer to extend the length of pour, i think if i stopped it the instant the blonding started id be back at about a 20 second pour........

I wish i could step into a jetbalckespresso course tomorrow! Ive actually been thinking of booking a one on one session at $259 instead of the basic course at $159 so i can get it done sooner! ill almost waste $100 worth of beans before i get to the course!

I might take a video tomorrow morning of my shot and see if i can post it up. See if it unveails any issues
            Last edited by Lukemc; 28 December 2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X