Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB EM6910 Novice User

Hi Snobs!
    I'm a new member but have been following along for about a month now. I've owned my 6910 for a while now and am still struggling to pull a decent shot. It just pours WAAY too quickly. I'm talking ~20s for 60mL. My grinder is a new breville smart grinder thats had a little over 1kg through it, it is set to its finest setting. I am using the supplied tamp and the supplied single wall baskets. There has been a few occasions I have achieved a nice pour but to do so I have had to massively overdose to the point it is a real struggle to fit the portafilter to the collar. Not good. As I believe the grind is fine enough (the finest setting), it isn't underdosed, I would think the other variables to look into would be the beans or the machine. I am currently buying packaged beans from the supermarket ( no point wasting good coffee if I can't get a good pour) and struggle to believe the beans from the supermarket would be of such poor quality to be causing my issue (could be wrong) so that leads me to consider the machine. What could be going wrong at this point?? really poor filter baskets? I don't know... poor technique.. I'm at a loss, can anyone please throw a few suggestions at me?

Hey Wally,

I have the same machine and grinder as you. I think the best thing for you to do would be to go and buy some fresh beans from a good roaster or from Beanbay and then try again. I can definitely believe that supermarket beans can cause a bad pour as they are often up to a year old.

So go get some good fresh beans and then try your technique again - if you're still getting the same result, I think it's then when you can start looking at other variables!!

Comment

Fair call. I've been starting to think that maybe the grinder isn't grinding fine enough from the factory and should try shimming - not to compensate for wear but for poor tolerances. However, I suppose it can't hurt to try the beans first. I've just always thought good coffee would be wasted because it pours SO frickin quick!

Comment

I recently purchased a icoffee roaster,, so i know my beans are fresh. Although i have a different machine, after i did a chemical wash on the weekend i thought i would use a new packet of supermaket beans for the first shot as i was going to sink it anyway. Did normal grind dose tamp etc, ...coffe started coming out straight away, and would have got a similiar pour to yours...60 ml in 20 sec. I was really suprised that there was such a difference in beans.

Comment

Definitely the beans guys.
          it's a newby mistake to practise with cheap supermarket beans.
          Now that you know, spread the message.

Comment

Well went up to Skybury Plantation on the tablelands this morning and bought some fresh beans and... just WOW. This is why people become coffee snobs. Problem fixed, thanks Tango. Thundergod you hit the nail on the head, I was of the opinion that while practising cheap beans from the supermarket would be the way to go, most likely most of the shots pulled while I was learning wouldn't be drinkable anyway, why waste the good stuff. Well the last twelve months practising and scratching my head and trying again have paid off. The first shot pulled flowed like honey, and is completely drinkable. very. nice. cup.

Comment

now that issue has been well sorted the misses is wondering about what I'd like for christmas. now I'll admit i have been eyeing off a new basket or two with a fitted tamper. how does a synesso or vst basket pair with this machine? do many 6910 users have upgraded baskets?

Comment

I have the exact same combo and from Greg Pullman, purchased a 15g VST basket and fitted tamper. I didn't notice a huge difference between the stock Sunbeam single wall double shot basket and the VST but once you start using the Pullman tamper you'll want to toss the standard unit in the bin.

Comment

Good to hear things worked out Wally! Now you'll probably head down the home roasting path too ;-)

RE the basket and tamper - I have an 18g Synesso basket with a Bogav Classic tamper using the EM6910 and the BCG800. Amazing tamper that fits perfectly and is well made! Give it a go!

Comment

Upgraded to a 22g VST and has worked wonders for me!

Comment

I bought an EM6910 just so I could use a VST basket and Pullman tamper Since I went straight to that combo I can't compare to the stock sunbeam tamp/basket but I get a great cup of coffee

Comment

SB EM6910 Novice User

Wally did the new basket and tamper make much difference?

Comment

Working...
                        X