Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rancilio silvia bottomless portafilter basket uestion

Hello everyone

I hope this is the correct forum for my question (else please move the post?).

I recently bought bottomless portafilter for my 2010 rancilio silvia which came with a larger basket included (much larger than the standard double basket of silvia and even larger than my synesso ridgeless double basket).

Up to now I have used the synesso double basket with new bottomless portafilter (19-20 grams of beans most of the time) with very good results.

The new rancilio basket is even larger than synesso double basket, it really looks to me like its a triple-size basket, no?

my question is: how many grams of coffee should I use in the new bottomless portafilter "triple" rancilio silvia basket?

What is the minimum and maximum recommended?

I tried 19-20 grams of beans and the results were poor (same beans and same grind level as I used with synesso double basket that consistently produces good results).
    Was I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by acid_rider; 10 December 2012, 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling errors

You will need to dose to fill the new basket to the correct level relative to the shower screen / top of the basket.
    So adjust the dose until your tamper sits at the same level as it does with your double basket.
    Then adjust the grind as normal to get the pour time correct.

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
      You will need to dose to fill the new basket to the correct level relative to the shower screen / top of the basket.
      So adjust the dose until your tamper sits at the same level as it does with your double basket.
      Then adjust the grind as normal to get the pour time correct.
      thanks for the advice!
      Based on that advice which I just tried, the bottomless portafilter basket needs ~24-25 grams of beans versus synesso double basket 19-20 grams to keep the tamper on the same level in both cases.

Does this amount of beans strike you are much too high for a doppio-espresso?
      I read in numerous places that a double shot is meant to be no more than 18-20 grams, 50-60ml for 25-30 seconds.
      I get the 50-60ml in 30 seconds but the amount of beans 24-25gr is really closer to a triple-espresso and i don't know if this term has been invented yet! 8^)

Comment

Is this the Rancilio 40100090 basket ? .. like the one i have which needs 24 gms to dose correctly.
        It make 2 nice strong Picolo's. !

Comment

You have a triple basket, they're generally rated for ~23g of coffee and are intended for triple-espresso shots.

The key question here, are you happy with the result in the cup? If you are then the absolute amount of coffee is irrelevant, if you're not you could always swap the triple out for one of your old baskets.
          Last edited by jbrewster; 10 December 2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X