Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silvia Owners; How many test shots to get the grind right each morning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia Owners; How many test shots to get the grind right each morning?

I was wondering whether I am the only one who needs to run 2 or 3 shots each morning before I get grind right?

Given that I use the larger basket, it seems like such a waste of coffee but given the changes in weather and coffee beans aging it seems unavoidable ?

I have tried the smaller baskets but when i do this, i get leakage from the group-head - and this is a fairly new machine.

just wondering..

I used a Silvia/Rocky combo for 9 years, once I became accustomed to the set up in the early stages never had a problem.
    How long have you had the machine? I assume you are using a Rocky grinder.

Comment

To be honest I find I very rarely need to adjust my grind on my Rocky while I am using the same beans. Seem to get very consistent shot pull times and results. Probably haven't had to adjust my grind in a month. I Probably go through a 250g bag of beans a week and buy those beans weekly from a local roaster. I think the last adjustment was more due to my burrs bedding in on the rocky rather than a change in the beans.

Maybe your dosing and tamping is a bit inconsistent? Doser or doserless Rocky? Maybe clumping is causing a dosing inconsistency? I use a doser Rocky so don't have that problem. I've had my Silvia for about 4 months now and the Rocky for 3

Comment

to answer both of these questions, i have only had the silvia for a couple of months and this probably considered 'not long' when it comes to this machine.

i have a doserless rocky which can be a little clumpy.......

When I dose I basically fill the basket to just above the rim, flatten it out with my finger, then using my tamper (no, not the plastic one that comes with it) I tamp it down so that the head of the tamper is even with the top of the basket, which gives a perfect fit within the silvia.

The difference between coffee flowing like a broken tap or choking the machine seems to me almost nothing.

That said, I have a range of different beans that i am trying at the moment (all same age) so I guess the subtitles in each roast could be also playing a part.

I do find the silvia very unforgiving, but when its right, its great.

Comment

Well, your dosing sounds pretty much the same as mine. Odd though that you seem to often choke the basket. I've only done that like twice since I've had the machine, and only when having my first extraction with new beans.

Might be worth picking a single roast and sticking with it for a bit until you get consistent, then move on to other roasts if you feel adventurous.

Are you filling your hopper on the Rocky and leaving beans in there or just adding enough for the days coffees? I usually drop in 2 or 3 days worth at a time, but my hopper is not near direct sun light or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mentasm View Post

Are you filling your hopper on the Rocky and leaving beans in there or just adding enough for the days coffees? I usually drop in 2 or 3 days worth at a time, but my hopper is not near direct sun light or anything.
            i only add what i need for that day....are you suggesting that more beans in the hopper will lead to a more even dose? I guess I am trying to keep the beans as fresh as possible.

Comment

Suggest you have a read through this thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...-unknowns.html get the dose level right using the 5 cent piece test, you may have to move the coin to the side to dodge the screw holding the shower screen on the Silvia but the result should be the same.

Once you have the dose level right start varying the grind, this will cause the dose level to vary, coarser grind = fuller basket, finer = lower level.

So, establish dose level, pull a shot, if you get a gusher grind a little finer, if it chokes a little coarser, do the five cent test again.

You will get there, remember only make small changes and only change one variable at a time.

The Silvia is not an unforgiving machine, like any other get your dose level and grind correct and all will be well.

Comment

Originally posted by tony8028 View Post
                i only add what i need for that day
                Your on the right track there, don't fill the hopper, the beans will just sit there and go stale, even better only add what you need for the session.

Comment

That's why I asked, if your beans were sitting for days and maybe got direct sunlight, maybe they were the variable that kept changing and throwing you off. Sounds like that is not the case.

Comment

Working...
                  X