EM6910 pressure and gauge issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 pressure and gauge issue

Hi All - I picked up an EM6910 for $80 (!) at a garage sale several months back........it has done magnificently and I couldn't live without in now, but just recently has got to a point where it pours very slow shots, and the gauge heads up towards the red zone. Occasionally it stops mid-pour. I have descaled twice and used the tablet to clean the group head...no effect.

I have just noticed that even when the machine is off, the gauge sits at 9 o'clock.
    Do you think the 2 are linked???
    Suggestions for further action?

Cheers
    Davo

Sounds like the grind is too fine... Do you use a grinder or buy pre-ground coffee? I find I have to adjust the grinder setting as beans go from 4 days old to 10 days old (one click coarser). You need to rule out the coffee being too fine - does adjusting the coffee grind affect pour time/flow rate?

The gauge being at 9 o'clock does sound dodgy... but it could be the gauge is out but not the actual pump/thermo-block/etc... The gauge is not that useful really, you're much better off following the normal steps of getting correct does, then grind setting so as to get a shot time of 25-30 seconds with no blonding.

Comment

....hmmmm... I really don't think it is the grind. Yes, I am buying ground, but it is fresh and high quality...more importantly, we use the same coffee in the same machine in the office, and it is fine. Also, it used to be fine on my machine, and now isn't.....feels like a machine problem to me. Also the gauge issue makes me suspect that there is something wrong with the machine

Comment

EM6910 pressure and gauge issue

Hi Dave

If its pre-ground, it's no longer 'fresh'. Oils in coffee start drying out after around 3 minutes after grinding, which is why we all recommend buying a good quality grinder as a first step in the coffee journey.

A quick diagnosis of whether it is the machine or the coffee would be to run a shot without the group handle on the machine. If it runs water all the way through the shot, it's a fair bet it's the coffee you are using. If it only runs out water intermittently, or stops half way through, then it's more likely to be the machine. Keep in mind when you do this that (from memory from my 6910 days - a while ago now!), i think it has a pre-infusion on the machine, so it may take about 3 seconds for the water to come through initially.

Cheers
        Di

Comment

Working...
        X