Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 Newbie Question

Hi Everyone,

First time to coffee machines and first post here at coffee snobs. I have been reading a lot over the last couple of weeks in preparation for my big purchase, and the information here has been great. I hope now someone can answer a direct question for me.

Anyway, I recently bought a Sunbeam EM6910 and my husband and I used it for the first time today. Not having used a coffee machine before, we found the EM6910 to be very noisy and it vibrates a lot too; and this has been the case from when we started the manual flushing process to rinse it for first time use. Can anyone else who has this machine please tell me if this is normal. I have to say that if it is, we might be returning the machine for another brand, as there is no way that I will be able to make a morning cuppa if anyone else is still asleep in the house (or in the neighbourhood for that matter LOL!  ;D).

Cheers in advance

Dippy

Re: EM6910 Newbie Question

Originally posted by dippy link=1169869501/0#0 date=1169869501
    Hi Everyone,

First time to coffee machines and first post here at coffee snobs. I have been reading a lot over the last couple of weeks in preparation for my big purchase, and the information here has been great. I hope now someone can answer a direct question for me.

Anyway, I recently bought a Sunbeam EM6910 and my husband and I used it for the first time today. Not having used a coffee machine before, we found the EM6910 to be very noisy and it vibrates a lot too; and this has been the case from when we started the manual flushing process to rinse it for first time use. Can anyone else who has this machine please tell me if this is normal. I have to say that if it is, we might be returning the machine for another brand, as there is no way that I will be able to make a morning cuppa if anyone else is still asleep in the house (or in the neighbourhood for that matter LOL!  ;D).

Cheers in advance

Dippy
    Hi Dippy and welcome to CS.

I would think that the noise was most likely the pump priming for the 1st time...they can be quite noisy. It should settle once its had a big drink. That said, I have heard one 6910 and thought it was pretty noisy compaerd to the vibe pumps Im familiar with.

Enjoy your journey!

2mcm

Comment

Yup mine is quite noisy and was a bit of shock the first time. Not sure it has become quieter or I am more used to it. 8-)
      Matching grinder is noisy as well.

Comment

you will learn to love the noise!!

Comment

Mines super noisy and I love it! The noise hasnt changed since I bought it and I was a tad worried at first but it works fine and I assume that the industrial-quality groan is what it should do . I work shifts and make my morning brew at ~0530. My housemate doesnt hear a thing (which is good) and my neighbours upstairs deserve to hear it cranking away.....after driving me crazy with noise for 3 years I hope its my little bit of revenge I get to drink great coffee and they get to hear me making it ;D. They say the best revenge is to live well; my coffee machine helps me do that.

Justin.

Comment

Originally posted by dippy link=1169869501/0#0 date=1169869501
            Anyway, I recently bought a Sunbeam EM6910 and my husband and I used it for the first time today. Not having used a coffee machine before, we found the EM6910 to be very noisy and it vibrates a lot too; and this has been the case from when we started the manual flushing process to rinse it for first time use. Can anyone else who has this machine please tell me if this is normal.
            We have a 6900 and actually rang sunbeam thinking it was broken, it was so noisy! Wed never had a machine before though.

We found it has settled down and is less noisy when fully primed, but yes its noisy and vibrates a lot. That said, I dont think any machine could make milk frothing quiet... I could be wrong of course

Comment

Milk frothing is far from noisy except on the TV Shopping Channel.

Comment

most machines are noisy - the 6910 being on the noisier side of these. Priming took forever for me (about 3 mins), on my first 6910 about 10mins!.

Comment

The nature of coffee machines is that they are noisy. After awhile it will settle down and you will get so used to it that you will barely notice it. Keep the bedroom/kitchen/connecting doors closed if other people complain about the noise, and dont make them coffee in the morning if they would rather sleep then drink a great coffee first thing.

Comment

Hi dippy.

I own an em6900 and at first found it to be fairly noisy.

I have since found that the noise is no longer an issue, however what I have noticed is that if you have espresso cups etc on the cup warming plate they can tend to rattle with the pump vibrations emphasising the noise. Also the machine is a lot louder when running water through the portafilter under no load. Once the freshly ground coffee has been put in the "oversized" baskets and tamped with a nice force the machine noise is not that bad.

I tend to have a few different people stay at my house from time to time and I think I have only woken 1 of them in the past few months while making a coffee. They said the only reason they woke up was because they wanted a nice brew. Hehe.

Remember that after filling your water tank to prime the machine by turning on the hot water spout until water comes out in a stream. I usually find it takes 20 seconds or so.

Good luck.

Comment

Okay...the 6910 is noisy when you first start to pull a shot....and dies down to barely a low hum when the espresso gauge hits the dark brown area.

IMHO Silvia is a lot louder during the duration of a shot as the noise of the Silvia does not die down like the EM6910

If you want a noiseless machine get an LM...man the machine they have at Venez is like sex....well not quite

Comment

Originally posted by heretic link=1169869501/0#5 date=1169965436
                        I dont think any machine could make milk frothing quiet... I could be wrong of course
                        If its the steam thermoblock pump thats making the noise, theres not much that can be done about it, but if the steam in the jug is the problem, then you are probably positioning the steam tip in the right spot. Rather than hazard a misleading and speculative post, Ill point you to a very comprehensive guide to steaming milk.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

I guess you mean "probably arent positioning...." Luca

Comment

OOO... the screaching noise of somebody steaming milk that just doesnt know... Shudders

Comment

Almost impossible to do that with the Sunbeam though....steams too slow.

Comment

Working...
                              X