Sunbeam EM7000 First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM7000 First Impressions

After two days with my new toy - Sunbeam EM7000 - I must say that I am impressed with its performance and quality of build.

I am still getting acquainted with it of course, but so far so good. I think once I zero in on the right grind and dose it will produce better coffee than the EM6910, but how much better remains to be seen.

The new steaming wand takes a bit of getting use to and I need to refine my approach to match or better what the EM6910 produced. I'm not sure that the integrated sensing device for milk temperature is a help or a gimmick - time will tell.

The only issue I have is that the drip tray does not extend far enough in relation to the portafilter spouts. There are times when the water from the spouts misses the grill holes and splashes resulting in a wet bench-top.

It heats up in one and a half minutes and is so quiet that it is almost a whisper.

I believe it may very well emerge as a worthy successor to the Breville Dual Boiler.

Here is a review if the mods allow:
    Crema Magazine: Australian Cafes, coffee, lifestyle and more | Sunbeam’s new EM7000

Well we have had our EM7000 for going on 4 days now & I am getting better with the brew by the day. Picking up some fresh beans on Thursday so excited to see the improvement there. Very happy with our purchase so far!

Have also noticed a massive price drop in recent days, a good time to upgrade...

Comment

DJs had it on special at $719. I got Bing Lee to match it reluctantly and then I added the extended warranty to a total of five years. Total cost $838!

Comment

I think the DJs price is part of their after Christmas sale and will probably end soon if it hasn't already. Their website says it is not in stock.

Comment

I picked one of these up at the weekend - I have just parted with my Giotto Premium Plus and was planning to suffer Nespresso for a while whist I made my mind up about the next coffee adventure. I couldn't do it! I had a 6910 in the past which was a thoroughly good machine and given the cheapness of these machines in the sales I indulged myself.

It is of course a solid and very capable machine (solid in the consumer electronics way, not the Italian stainless way!). I am most impressed by the steaming which has been improved in terms of speed, which is now less than 90 seconds to reach temp, and in texture. Actually, the texture of the milk that it produces is right up there with the best I have ever used, better than the Giotto - even though it takes twice as long as that steam monster!

The grind settings are almost identical to the Giotto, which is a departure from the EM6910 which required a finer grind. Slightly less coffee is required in the basket - around 18g. Sunbeam seem to be determined to make this perform to the textbook. And the coffee it produces? Very good. Smooth texture and a deep crema. Not as special as the Giotto, but given my limited experience with the machine (Not realising I was going to get the machine, I only had a couple of hundred g of beans to play with) I think it will do the job most admirably.

Most noticeably, its quiet. The pump sounds the same, but with ear plugs in! It vibrates much less to so those cups stay in place.

Well done to Sunbeam. A very worthy successor to the legendary EM6910. Durability? Who cares, I added a 5 year full replacement warranty
          Last edited by jaybee; 13 January 2013, 06:08 PM. Reason: Being stoopid

Comment

80g? I remember that the 6910 was notorious for uprising but that's insane

Comment

lol - It's the Heat, don't ya know!

Lets try 18g instead...

Originally posted by Bames View Post
              80g? I remember that the 6910 was notorious for uprising but that's insane

Comment

Originally posted by jaybee View Post
                Well done to Sunbeam. A very worthy successor to the legendary EM6910. Durability? Who cares, I added a 5 year full replacement warranty
                Good to read some feedback jaybee. I picked up one a few weeks ago - my first "serious" machine, so I've not a lot to compare it to, but thus far I'm very happy. The steam is fantastic - it hasn't taken long at all to get a great result which is night and day compared to the cheap machines I've used in the past.

I found the same re the grind - I bought a BSG to go with it and was expecting to have it right on the finest setting, but at the moment I've still got a few notches left and getting a great result.

I was a little surprised by the small difference between the dose in the single vs dual basket - like you I've found the single to be 17-18g, and the double only about 21-22(max). Have you had this experience with the double basket?

Comment

I'm really happy with the coffee i'm getting out of my EM7000 but not so happy with the noise it's making.

The actually pump during most of the extraction is as quiet as advertised but there is quite a loud almost shudder at the beginning of the extraction. It lasts for about 2-3 seconds at the start of the extraction proper, i.e. after the pre-infusion.

Has anyone else experienced this? It makes no such noise with no filter basket in place and my extraction times are spot on so I know it's not a result of choking the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by raybau View Post
                    I was a little surprised by the small difference between the dose in the single vs dual basket - like you I've found the single to be 17-18g, and the double only about 21-22(max). Have you had this experience with the double basket?
                    I only use the double, with a lot less coffee. I had a long play tonight and have yet to find the sweet spot for my technique - It will be there somewhere! it took me long enough to find it for the Giotto and the 6910 so I'm not worried yet!

Originally posted by ashep View Post
                    I'm really happy with the coffee i'm getting out of my EM7000 but not so happy with the noise it's making.

The actually pump during most of the extraction is as quiet as advertised but there is quite a loud almost shudder at the beginning of the extraction. It lasts for about 2-3 seconds at the start of the extraction proper, i.e. after the pre-infusion.

Has anyone else experienced this? It makes no such noise with no filter basket in place and my extraction times are spot on so I know it's not a result of choking the machine.
                    I have had occasion where I get the noise you describe, its almost like it needs to prime itself before it quietens down. Given that most machines are louder than that all the time, I haven't been overly worried!

Comment

And for no particular reason, here is a gratuitous bench shot!

The styling is a bit Breville for me, but many seem to go for the softer look. What do you think?
                      Attached Files

Comment

I actually don't mind the styling of some of the Breville's....

Some of the newer model low end Sunbeams look rubbish.

Comment

re I get the noise you describe, its almost like it needs to prime itself before it quietens down. Given that most machines are louder than that all the time, I haven't been overly worried!
                          Mine does the same - it seems to only be the first shot after turning it on, and not necessarily all the time.

Comment

And for no particular reason, here is a gratuitous bench shot!

The styling is a bit Breville for me, but many seem to go for the softer look. What do you think?
                            Ahhhh, to have that much bench space! Very neat.

What brand is the knock box you've got there? It's nice and compact compared with some I've seen.

Comment

Update

Well two weeks down the track and it is better than I expected

The brew is consistent with great crema and taste. It didn't take long to adjust my steaming technique - I am now getting super smooth micro foam every time, and being able to retire my thermometer was a plus.

The EM6910 was good - the EM7000 is great

Rusty

Comment

Working...
                              X