Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct group gasket thickness for Silvia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct group gasket thickness for Silvia?

Hi guys,

Ive just changed my group gasket in my Silvia to a new sienna coffee unit which was supplied with the machine. I found this allowed the portafilter to lock in at about 5:30 rather than 7:30 as it used to, which I thought was great, but not so. A thinner gasket means the portafilter has to be turned further to get a seal, obviously, which in turn means the showerscreen intrudes even further into the basket, limiting the dose which can be used. Ive had about as much leaking out of this new gasket as the 3 year old one which came with the machine, complete with heat cracks when squeezed.

Fellow Silvia owners, what thickness gaskets do you use and with what results? My original gasket is about 8.8mm thick; I didnt think to measure the new one prior to installation but it was probably about 1mm thinner, plus the thin cardboard spacer which I installed after realising the above.

Greg

Re: Correct group gasket thickness for Silvia?

Greg,

I dont know about the Silvia specifically but as the group is "commercial" it is probably pretty similar to mine - in which case you can get spacers - 0.5mm and 1mm - which you place behind the gasket to move it down..... adjust the total thickness to get the PF to lock in where you want it!

They cost about $3.50 each here in Perth - or cheaper from CoffeeParts

Comment

Thanks JB. Mine came with one of those spacers which I installed but I figure there must be a consensus on which thickness is best for Silvia with her low showerscreen etc? I prefer a thinner gasket for a straighter lock position but not if its going to mean ultra low dosing.

Greg

Comment

Greg,

I might be confused here..... but a lower lock in position generally means a thicker spacer...... as it pushes the gasket down so it contacts the PF/basket sooner......

I have had to put 1mm spacers in mine and it now locks in at about 7 oclock - with 0.5 it was more like 4 oclock.

And you can use them in combination if needed.... the La Cimbali agents here "tune" each PF after installing a new gasket... and each can be different - even on the two groups of a single machine!

Comment

Greg, I have a brand new group gasket from Coffeeparts, on standby in case the original goes.

It is 7.90 mm - 8.00 mm as measured with an electronic vernier. (Being rubbery the measurement of course varies with how tightly its gripped by the caliper).

-Robusto

Comment

Thanks guys. I think my new gasket may be 8mm; it was slightly thinner than the old one. Seem to be getting used to it anyway, maybe just need slightly lower dose.

Comment

Working...
            X