EM6910 Leaking Water from Underside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 Leaking Water from Underside

Hi guys! I am here to seek some advice from the many knowledgeable members here about my 6 year old leaking EM6910.
    After turning the machine on, I notice there is water leaking from the left side (looking from the front) where the electronics are located in the machine (please see attachment).

So, I did some investigating by removing the covers and found out that the leak is coming. I'm not sure how to describe it, so I have attached a labelled picture. The part must get pretty hot, because the water that comes out evaporates quite rapidly from the bronze part. Thankfully it is away from the circuit board at the back.

I guess my question is, what is this part, and is it a DIYable repair?
    I can still make coffee with the machine, but will continued use exacerbate the problem?

Thanks all, and Happy New Year

Ed
    Attached Files

Hi Ed,

I know it sounds silly, but have you tried tightening the nut?
    I pulled my old one apart a few times and they have to be quite tight.

Cheers,
    Ben.

Comment

Hi, no I haven't tried this yet as I thought it looked like the top was welded together or something. I guess the nut might have jiggled loose as a result of a recent move with the machine. I'll give it a shot later and report back

Cheers

Comment

Hi Ed,

Yeah it is a swage style compression fitting, so nip it up and see how it goes.

Cheers,
        Ben

Comment

Hey Ben,
          So I went and re-tightened the nut as best I could, and I'm happy to report that the leak seems to have stopped, at least upon initial testing. I'll see how it goes over the next few days, but I'm hopeful that it sticks.
          Thanks for your advice! Saved me a trip to the service center, and best of all I can start making coffee again!

Cheers

Comment

Good stuff Ed!
            Hopefully that's fixed the problem.

Cheers,
            Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by Edsky View Post
              and best of all I can start making coffee again!

Cheers
              Happy Days!

Comment

Same leak

Originally posted by Edsky View Post
                Hey Ben,
                So I went and re-tightened the nut as best I could, and I'm happy to report that the leak seems to have stopped, at least upon initial testing. I'll see how it goes over the next few days, but I'm hopeful that it sticks.
                Thanks for your advice! Saved me a trip to the service center, and best of all I can start making coffee again!

Cheers
                Hi

Are you able to tell me how to open it up?

And can you indicate what part exactly you had to tighten please?

Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew, sure thing. From memory the process was:

- Disconnect from mains power
                  - Open the back metal cover with Sunbeam on it, on the bottom hinge there is a thumbscrew. Unscrew and remove this and you should be able to pivot out the bottom of the cover and remove it.
                  - Remove the water reservoir
                  - Unscrew the 3 phillips screws holding on the black plastic cover and gently remove the cover
                  - To remove the metal side cover you will have to remove the anti tamper screw that is recessed in the top right of the compartment you just exposed. Its a torx type screw. You should be able to find it with a bit of light. Its in the area of the yellow circle in the second picture
                  - Once the torx screw is removed the side cover can be removed by pushing from the bottom of the panel on the inside

The part I retightened was the nut I circled in the original pictures labelled 'water leaking from here'
                  I couldnt be bothered removing the surrounding components so I just did the best I could with my fingers and needle nose pliers, clockwise to tighten.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Awesome...thanks for that...

Another 'ignorance' type question...What does a TORX type screw look like?

Sorry for the noob questions

And thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by andrewbat View Post
                      Awesome...thanks for that...

Another 'ignorance' type question...What does a TORX type screw look like?

Sorry for the noob questions

And thanks again
                      Torx bits come in a number of types, they are basically a screw with a countersunk socket head, designed to prevent tampering, see here

Torx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia available from any hardware store.
                      Guess you could have Googled that yourself.

Comment

Yeah its a star shape
                        Usually pickup a torx kit with different size tips from an electronics place like Jaycar or Dick Smith

Comment

Originally posted by kinggee View Post
                          Hi Ed,

Yeah it is a swage style compression fitting, so nip it up and see how it goes.

Cheers,
                          Ben

Just wanted to say thank you to you all in this thread, had exactly the same problem remedied by tightening the fitting as described. Saved me a trip and expense of the repairers!

thanks again,

Ads

Comment

Not sure how to edit my post, but I notice I left out a detail in the last step my previous post, which should read:

- Once the torx screw is removed, the side cover is held in place with a couple of screws on the underside of the machine. Unscrew these and then the side cover can be removed by pushing from the bottom of the panel on the inside

Comment

Working...
                            X