Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancilio Silvia v3 + Auber PID + Compak K3 touch VS Nuova Simonelli Oscar + Rocky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia v3 + Auber PID + Compak K3 touch VS Nuova Simonelli Oscar + Rocky

Hi..

Having a certain budget is a pain... I don't have to think about all these and just go buy stuffs but it's not the case for me..

So I am considering very hard to get my first coffee machine for home. I have been making coffee at work since we have a commercial machine in the office.

Most of the times I make latte (about 80% of the times).

At home, i think I will make 2 latte coffee on average and 4 at max.

I have been doing a lot of research on Rancilio Silvia and I am very close to buy it, however, adding a PID will almost equal the amount of investment to the price of getting an Oscar.

So I have 4 options..
    1. Rancilio Silvia + Compak K3 touch
    2. Rancilio Silvia + Auber PID + Rancilio Rocky
    3. Rancilio Silvia + Auber PID + Compak K3 touch
    4. Nuova Simonelli Oscar + Rancilio Rocky

I would like to hear your personal thoughts based on your satisfactory level..

Another question... would you install a PID on Rancilio silvia if you mostly make latte? or would you rather do temperature surfing and save some dollars.

Thank you all in advance!!

5. Breville Dual Boiler + Smart Grinder

This should be in the price range I suppose.. I am looking for something easy for maintenance too..

Comment

? your options seem a little unballanced .. as the Silvia can be bought for <$500, whilst the Oscar is $1k ??
      If you are comfortable with DIY skills, you an add a PID yourself for $50 + a little time input. Look up some of the PID threads.
      However,.. Of those two choices ,for making mostly Latte's,.. i would go with the Oscar for its on demand steam ability.

Comment

I did a PID on the Silvia ages ago and posted a step by step on Flickr: Rancilio Silvia gets an Auber PID - a set on Flickr

If you make lattes, I'd avoid the Silvia and go for the Oscar or something else with steam on demand (A HX machine of some sort).

I had the Oscar (can you believe I found it for $99 in a shop in Singapore along with the K3 for $30!) but the heating element fused. :-( Still, it's a good little machine and sitting in my mum's place.

I'd look for a used machine and grinder here on CS but go for something better than the Silvia. If you get the Silvia, you'll be wanting to upgrade in a month or three.

PS: What's your budget?

Comment

Originally posted by shawn_low View Post
          I did a PID on the Silvia ages ago and posted a step by step on Flickr: Rancilio Silvia gets an Auber PID - a set on Flickr

If you make lattes, I'd avoid the Silvia and go for the Oscar or something else with steam on demand (A HX machine of some sort).

I had the Oscar (can you believe I found it for $99 in a shop in Singapore along with the K3 for $30!) but the heating element fused. :-( Still, it's a good little machine and sitting in my mum's place.

I'd look for a used machine and grinder here on CS but go for something better than the Silvia. If you get the Silvia, you'll be wanting to upgrade in a month or three.

PS: What's your budget?
          My budget is around $1500 but cheaper the better.. that's the budget I was thinking of before I posted the question here - that was for Silvia v3 + Auber PID professionally installed (as I don't have the electrical skills) + Compak K3 touch.

I also considered Oscar, I wonder if it would be easy enough to get parts or get serviced? I am not a fan of plastic casing but well I would rather go for the core.

If I normally drink latte, would the grinder very important? Would Compak K3 touch make a lot better latte compared to Rancilio Rocky?

Comment

Now my options are narrowed down to...... just as in the topic...

1. PID'ed Rancilio Silvia + Compak K3 touch
            2. Nuova Simonelli Oscar + Rancilio Rockly

For the espresso machine, I am slightly more inclined to the Oscar but I won't be able to afford K3..
            I know grinders are very important..

If I am mostly making latte, will Oscar + Rocky produce the similar or equally good quality of coffee made out of PID'ed Silvia + K3?

1 or 2, what would you choose if the prices are very similar?

Comment

Do you only want to buy new? Good quality second hand machines that have been well taken care of will last for a long time!

If you're regularly doing milk, and have $1500 to spend, I'd be avoiding a single boiler like the Silvia and going for HX/DB.

For $1500, if buying new I would go for Breville DB + either smart grinder or K3 touch. If you hunt around and haggle, you should be able to get a BDB + Smart for aroung $1300-$1400. BDB by itself you should be able to get $1100-$1200, then a K3 from Chris at Talk Coffee will set you back $450.
              You should notice a difference with the K3 over the Smart Grinder in espresso/block coffee - maybe not so much in milk.

If you want to buy 2nd hand, have a look in the for sale section. There's a Oscar for $500 which has been owned by (from what I can tell from other posts) a very festidious snob. I'm sure it would be in great condition - just ask him. From there you would have your choice of some very nice brand new grinders (K3, Mini, MD4), or some serious 2nd commercial grinders (Super Jolly etc)

Comment

I dont understand why you have ruled out the BDB + Smart grinder ( which would be an obvious choice) ?
                Rocky is a fine grinder for all but the most decerning espresso drinker.
                for Latte drinks , it will be more than up to the job,
                ...and the Oscar will brew and steam quicker for those milk drinks.

PS: if you search around , you can find the Oscar for under $1k,..new

Comment

Good

This sounds about close to the mark for what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by junbok80 View Post
                    My budget is around $1500 but cheaper the better.. that's the budget I was thinking of before I posted the question here - that was for Silvia v3 + Auber PID professionally installed (as I don't have the electrical skills) + Compak K3 touch.
                    Based on you preferred choices, save some money and forget the PID and learn to temperture surf the Silvia instead (not difficult). You can always add a PID later if you really want one.

Get the K3P (push) instead of the touch. Its cheaper and much more practical. The touch with timed grinding doesn't allow you to easily grind, tap, grind to top up. The timer adjustment is underneath the machine and a pain in general. I always use the manual setting on the on/off switch and wish I had the Push, not the Touch.

You won't be disappointed if you take the time to refine your brewing/grinding technique but you'll need to do this regardless of what you buy.

Comment

Can someone explain to me please about the Compak K3 push. I understand what the difference is, but if you look on the Compak website they only mention the K3 Touch and Elite.
                      Is the K3 Push a discontinued model? Albeit on the face of it a great buy over the K3 Touch.

Comment

Originally posted by perch2417 View Post
                        Can someone explain to me please about the Compak K3 push. I understand what the difference is, but if you look on the Compak website they only mention the K3 Touch and Elite.
                        Is the K3 Push a discontinued model? Albeit on the face of it a great buy over the K3 Touch.
                        The Compak K3P basically grinds as long as you push the portafilter against the big silver paddle/tongue. On the K3T when you push on the paddle/tongue you get a timed dose based on the setting of the dial on the underside of the machine. everthing else is the same except for the approx $100 price difference. The push is more "interactive" in that you fill the filter basket as full as you want then tap the portafilter on the bench to level the grind mound and then top up before leveling and tamping. The touch doesn't allow you to do this unless you manually use the on/off switch which is more awkward.

The "Elite" is a doser grinder which grinds into a chamber and dispenses by flicking a lever the required number of times. Probably more likely to retain grinds with the possibility of dispensing with fresh grinds when you dose later. More suited to high through-put or high capacity use.

The K3P still listed by a number of Australian retailers with Chris of Talk Coffee (Site sponsor) having an attractive price of $450.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                          The Compak K3P basically grinds as long as you push the portafilter against the big silver paddle/tongue. On the K3T when you push on the paddle/tongue you get a timed dose based on the setting of the dial on the underside of the machine. everthing else is the same except for the approx $100 price difference. The push is more "interactive" in that you fill the filter basket as full as you want then tap the portafilter on the bench to level the grind mound and then top up before leveling and tamping. The touch doesn't allow you to do this unless you manually use the on/off switch which is more awkward.
                          There's nothing awkward about using the K3 Touch on manual mode. You don't have to 'manually use the on/off switch' . The power switch has three settings 1) off 2) manual dose and 3) timed dose. You simply set it to 2) and leave it there and the K3T functions exactly the same as the K3 Push (ie it grinds while the 'silver paddle/tongue' is depressed). IIRC there is (or was) a greater range of colour / finish options on the K3T.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                            There's nothing awkward about using the K3 Touch on manual mode. You don't have to 'manually use the on/off switch' . The power switch has three settings 1) off 2) manual dose and 3) timed dose. You simply set it to 2) and leave it there and the K3T functions exactly the same as the K3 Push (ie it grinds while the 'silver paddle/tongue' is depressed). IIRC there is (or was) a greater range of colour / finish options on the K3T.
                            I have the Wega Mini Instant 5.8 which is supposed to be a rebadged Compak K3T. It definetly doesn't function exactly the same as the K3P. It has a manual function which only operates when the switch is toggled to "manual" and continues grinding until the switch is toggled off. The silver tongue does nothing on this function. When the switch is toggled to the other side, once the silver tongue is depressed, the grinder functions for a preset time as set by the knob on the underside of the machine. I just checked the Compak K3 Touch manual and this confirms the same operation.

The awkward part is that the switch is on the right side of the grinder which means you are holding the portafilter with your left hand. On the K3P you toggle the switch so that the grinder functions when you press against the tongue and stops when you stop depressing it. This can be done right handed which is more natural and comfortable for a right hander. The extra $100 for the K3T just isn't worth it in my opinion. I would have prefered the K3P. I can only manually grind using the toggle switch. I don't like the timed function at all.

Comment

I think I've found the source of confusion. I have owned a K3T for a year and a half, and can assure that my description above is accurate (maybe the names on the button settings are different). I've never used the timer function, and always grind to a dose level using my eyes, and the using the tongue to start the grinding process.

If you have a look at Talk Coffee's website (Chris please correct me if I'm mis-interpreting this):

http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/downloa...nder-flyer.pdf

It states the Australian spec. of the K3T uses the " 'tongue' style operation rather than the button to commence grinding".

I had a look a few overseas instructions manuals for the K3T, and what you describe is perfectly consistent with them. It's just not not consistent with how my K3T purchased in Australia through Cosmorex is set up. I suspect the Wega uses the standard Euro set-up.

Cheers
                              BOSW

Comment

Working...
                              X