Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faulty Silvia?

Hi All,

I have a Rancilio Silvia that has faithfully fed my caffiene addiction flawlessly up until late last week.
    For some reason no water will come through the brewhead?!?. I have backflushed it, removed and checked the screen tried to release steam through it and nothing. The pump is working as the hot water works, it steams no problem and everything heats up like normal but no water from the brewhead.
    Can anyone suggest what may be wrong/ also, is there reputable service agent in Brisbane? I would like to be armed with some possibilities before I take it in so as not to be ripped off.
    Any suggestions much appreciated.

Re: faulty Silvia?

Hi Fullbora and welcome to coffeesnobs!

The most disassembly you can do (that Im aware of) is removal of the showerscreen and water distributor until you can see the water exit hole just behind the screw point of the grouphead. If youve got it to that stage and nothings coming out it must be behind there.

Does the pump go quiet like it normally does when the boilers full, i.e. run the hot water switch with the steam wand open, close it and youll hear the pump go quiet. Is it loud or quiet when you run the brew switch? If its loud then water must be running somewhere; if its quiet then the boilers full and it may be a blockage.

If its that Id suspect something like a piece of scale dislodged in the boiler and blocking the exit path; try a descale. If that doesnt work and you dont want to open the boiler yourself Id contact GoBarista or Gilkatho (site sponsors on the left) as theyre in QLD and see if they do service. Theyre always more than happy to help out fellow CSers.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know what the problem was when you find it.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by fullbora link=1170109931/0#0 date=1170109931
      Hi All,

I have a Rancilio Silvia that has faithfully fed my caffiene addiction flawlessly up until late last week.
      For some reason no water will come through the brewhead?!?. I have backflushed it,
      Hi fullbora and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

When you say that you have backflushed it - was that on a regular basis? If no water is coming out of the group - backflushing now wont do anything.

I suspect the problem is with a blocked or jammed three way valve, or a failed solenoid on that valve...... when you try to brew- and no water comes out- can you hear the pump really working hard.... trying to push water through?

Comment

Hi Fullbora,

JabaB is correct the problem is the 3 ways solonoid valve, you can contact Jack from Barazi in Brisbane he should be availble to help you, he is a good technition.

Best regards

Renzo

Comment

Thanks all, yeah I think the pump sounds like its working harder (hard to tell as its a noisy bugger at the best of times!) I had started backflushing about 6 weeks ago every week but probably not doing much as I didnt use any cleaner so waste of time?
          I have descaled using citric acid and following instructions off Coffee for Conniosuiers site about 4 times in the last 6 months, it makes 2 lattes a day but I think Ill clean it more often when its fixed.
          Man, I resorted to plunger coffee yesterday and coffee club today :-[ not my fault, had to meet a client there.
          Ill contact the ppl youve suggested and get it sorted as the purse string wont let me ditch it and buy a Giotto....yet!

Comment

Describe how much more time youll have to entertain a dozen visitors when you can brew and steam at the same time... Giotto has a good resale value... Hot water outlet means instant hot water for endless cups of tea without boiling the kettle... there are ways to fasttrack the process when all the benefits are explained

Comment

Originally posted by fullbora link=1170109931/0#4 date=1170148051
              I had started backflushing about 6 weeks ago every week but probably not doing much as I didnt use any cleaner so waste of time?
              In a word?

Yes..... Complete waste of time. Back-flushing with water after each brew session is good for removing loose particles, and when combined with the PF Wiggle does a good job of keeping grounds out of the way. Back-flushing with Espresso Clean or similar on a weekly or ten day basis is mandatory for keeping the coffee oils at bay and preventing a varnish like build-up from developing and basically gumming up the works.

Its really cheap stuff to buy (from one of our sponsors for example), really easy to use and does a great job. Also great for soaking your PFs, Baskets, Shower-Screen, Water Dispersion Block, etc and bringing them back up to a sparkling shine. Gotta keep all that chrome and s/s shiny . All the best,

Mal.

Comment

JabaB is correct the problem is the 3 ways solonoid valve, you can contact Jack from Barazi in Brisbane he should be availble to help you, he is a good technition.

Thanks for the tip, Jack doesnt normally do service on Rancilio but he said no problem once I told him it was coffesnobs that recommended him to me !
                He sounds like a really nice bloke so Ill drop it to him today, I might have to drop into Kokoda for a fix on my way.

thanks for all your help, this site rocks!

Comment

Update:

Picked up my Silvia from Jack at Barazi yesterday afternoon, Ive used it twice and its better than ever ! lots of crema and a very smooth taste compared to before.
                  Jack gave me good advice on maintenance, tamping, backflushing, grinding.... and while I was anticipating a solenoid replacement, he managed to clean it up for me instead at a way cheaper price than I was expecting, now you dont get that sort of service from a chain store, do you?
                  Thanks for the heads up guys and thanks Jack for the excellent service and advice.

Comment

Great to hear! Not just because Barazis a sponsor, but weve all experienced the chain store service before. All the sponsors Ive dealt with have provided that same level of small operation artisan service, and its great to have people who provide that sort of service as site sponsors! Most of us wouldnt get to deal with every sponsor due to them being all across Australia, so hearing a good report from a sponsor one hasnt dealt with is encouraging.

Good job Barazi!

Comment

Thats an excellent result for you, Jack! Great to hear that theres another happy customer of a Coffeesnobs Sponsor!

Comment

Working...
                      X