Breville Dual Boiler help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Dual Boiler help please

Hi, just purchased a Breville Dual Boiler and when I'm making the coffee the expresso drips out initially but then starts spitting out of the portafilter. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Originally posted by Davo72 View Post
    Hi, just purchased a Breville Dual Boiler and when I'm making the coffee the expresso drips out initially but then starts spitting out of the portafilter. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
    Use the portafilters that are single walled, and not dual walled. It drips out initially because thats the pre-infusion stage.

Comment

That can happen if you over fill the portafilter.

Try dosing and tamping as recommended on page 24 of the instruction booklet and see how you go.

Barry

Comment

Thanks Barry and Joesph for the advice. I tried the single walled filter and that stopped the coffee "spitting" out but I'm struggling to get a nice crema. Do you think fresh coffee beans would make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Davo72 View Post
          Do you think fresh coffee beans would make a difference?
          How old are the beans you are using now?

What is your grind like, how much are you putting in the basket?

Comment

Roasted beans can be too young or too old. Often they are at their best between one and three weeks, give or take a few days. The only reliable test is your taste buds. Some good roasters now put the roast date on their package. Supermarkets usually put on a useby date as a guide for when staff should take it off the shelf. It is often 2 years post roast. Well before then it is only suitable for composting.

Barry

Comment

Thanks for all your advice! Much appreciated. Just made a latte tonight adding a bit more coffee in the filter and its probably the best one so far. Love the steam wand, makes great froth.

Comment

Working...
              X