Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• em6910 a different water leak

Hi All,

I have Sunbeam EM6910 which I have had for number of years. During that time I have replaced the group head seal a couple of times. Approx one month ago I replaced the seal and the collar, which was worn. All was well until about a week ago. It has started leaking again, but this time I think it is between the seal and the machine. When I have had to replace the seal before the leaking water has been discoloured and the top of the group head, when removed, had coffee grounds on it. This time the leaking water is clean and there is no grounds on the group head. I have removed seal and checked that the surfaces are all clean. The group head locks in at 6 o'clock. When I reassemble the unit it initially doesn't leak, but after 2-3 pours the leak increases. I have removed covers and verified that there is no water leaking from plumbing.

Has there been any issues with variation in seals.

Thanks Kevin

em6910 a different water leak

Any one any ideas?

Comment

Not sure, but I think I just had what you have described. Coffee this morning had clear water leaking over the side of the group head and into the cup - not a lot, just a couple of drops. But definitely clear water.

I only noticed because I changed the grind and was looking under to watch the pressure gauge. It didn't seem to affect the pressure at all and I got a lovely cup of coffee from it. I don't think it has done it before because I'm new to this machine (to any home machine) and I have been watching my pours pretty closely as I work out what is going on.

My GH locks in at about 28 past 5 rather than 6 so I presume I will soon be looking for a new seal.

Comment

em6910 a different water leak

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
        Not sure, but I think I just had what you have described. Coffee this morning had clear water leaking over the side of the group head and into the cup - not a lot, just a couple of drops. But definitely clear water.

I only noticed because I changed the grind and was looking under to watch the pressure gauge. It didn't seem to affect the pressure at all and I got a lovely cup of coffee from it. I don't think it has done it before because I'm new to this machine (to any home machine) and I have been watching my pours pretty closely as I work out what is going on.

My GH locks in at about 28 past 5 rather than 6 so I presume I will soon be looking for a new seal.
        I will be interested to see how your repairs go. I have run out of ideas and am reluctant to spend any more money on the unit.

Kevin

Comment

I changed my grind a little (coarser) paid more attention to having that 3mm gap at the top of the filter, and reduced my tamp pressure a little - one of those things stopped my clear water leak. It also stopped the occasional tendency for the group handle to 'unwind' that I was getting. Mostly now my meter stays in the lower section (yellow part) of the 'healthy' pressure segment.

I was reluctant to take things apart because of reading some stories on here about washers being damaged etc. but I got a new one for $21 off eBay on Friday so now I feel better about stripping it down to check all the internals. I'll come back here to let you know what I find.

Comment

I took the group head apart today. I didn't replace the washer (yet) as it looked and felt like the new one.

The inside of the showerscreen was caked with old coffee - had to use a (non-metal) scourer to remove it. The smaller screen inside the showerscreen was likewise caked. Holding both screens up to the light showed at least half the holes were blocked - given I had not long before run a shot through there, I figure only some of the holes were letting water through.

The surrounds of the group head were filthy and needed the scourer to remove the build up.

Everything now clean and back together. I can still get the clear water spill from the GH if I overfill the basket - I have been doing so since I got the machine - I saw 3mm in the user manual for the distance below the basket edge and that was what I was using - the 5 cent test at that level pushed the coin down flush with the coffee surface so I load a bit more lightly now.

I then ran a cleaning cycle and another scaling solution cycle and pulled some shots to try it out. The handle doesn't turn as far now to lock in - it was going to about the 28 minute mark instead of the 30 (6 position) now it stops right on the 6. The Vittoria beans need to be a bit finer now but I'm getting ~60ml at ~25 seconds and a good rich looking crema.

I'm going to use it for a day or so then take the showerscreen off again to see what the build up is - it will give me an idea how often I need to clean in there and some indication of how long it had been since the previous owner cleaned inside there.

I also tried levelling the machine properly and discovered one foot has a bend shaft so it will not tighten past about half way - anyone got any 6910 feet available?

Comment

Working...
            X