Auber pre-infusion doesn't hold pressure, doesn't make sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auber pre-infusion doesn't hold pressure, doesn't make sense

Just bought a silvia and fitted and auber pid with pre-infusion option. I connected a portafilter with pressure gauge to the group head and started the machine as how it is set up by auber. The pump starts for a bit and then pauses before it kicks in with full pressure. However when it pauses the 3 way solenoid valve in the silvia dumps all the pressure built up for pre-infusion and the gauge dropped down to zero. This doesn't seem to make sense and in my mind would be more likely to disturb the puck by giving some pressure and releasing it.

Or does this design meant to just wet the puck with no pressure and then give pressure after the pause. When looking at the gauge, on pre-infusion it does climb slightly, maybe half a bar which in my mind would still disturb the puck.

But on YouTube heaps of people are using it with no complaints , unless they don't know if it's actually working or not

Any ideas?

Auber pre-infusion doesn't hold pressure, doesn't make sense

Perhaps to check if it is disturbing it you could stop the process after the three way has dumped any pressure and remove the portafilter.

At the end of the day if it tastes nice to you then it is not a problem.

Comment

My understanding of pre-infusion is to introduce water at a low(er) pressure (to wet the puck without a flowing extraction).

Opening the three-way valve is probably just the way they implemented the process in a machine not designed to acheive it. Are you actually seeing 9bar at the PF?

What behaviour were you expecting?

Comment

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
        My understanding of pre-infusion is to introduce water at a low(er) pressure (to wet the puck without a flowing extraction).

Opening the three-way valve is probably just the way they implemented the process in a machine not designed to acheive it. Are you actually seeing 9bar at the PF?

What behaviour were you expecting?
        On full pressure it reads 9 bar and my thoughts were that you needed a pre infusion of around 2-4 bar and then the full 9 bar without releasing pressure. I've now found out from a friend that this is fine and that a move called a Fellini on a lever machine is a method of applying some pressure and releasing it fully and applying it again just like what the auber pid does.

I've only just bought the machine and pid and was just trying to understand how it all works

Comment

Originally posted by karl_2020 View Post
          ... The pump starts for a bit and then pauses before it kicks in with full pressure. However when it pauses the 3 way solenoid valve in the silvia dumps all the pressure built up for pre-infusion and the gauge dropped down to zero. This doesn't seem to make sense and in my mind would be more likely to disturb the puck by giving some pressure and releasing it.

Yes, that is exactly how it works on my commercial Grimac machine.

Comment

Working...
          X