Non-functional Sunbeam EM 6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-functional Sunbeam EM 6910

I purchased yesterday a used EM 6910. It appears to be in perfect condition. The seller states it has not been used for over a year.
    I set it up as per the user guide with no coffee in the ground head. I switched it on and the lights followed the correct sequence to heat up and on completion I pressed Manual to obtain a flow to complete emptying of the tank. The appropriate grinding noise commenced and continued for some minutes (4-5) . NO water flowed through the machine, the head, nor could I get any hot water or steam. Thinking that the filter in the tank may be blocked I removed it. No joy. I repeated the whole flow through process some 8 or 10 times without success.
    My interpretation some internal bowel obstruction?? Perhaps the solenoid does not open??
    As I am a newbie I would appreciate advice.
    TIA
    jbarkeraus

Originally posted by jbarkeraus View Post
    I purchased yesterday a used EM 6910. It appears to be in perfect condition. The seller states it has not been used for over a year.
    I set it up as per the user guide with no coffee in the ground head. I switched it on and the lights followed the correct sequence to heat up and on completion I pressed Manual to obtain a flow to complete emptying of the tank. The appropriate grinding noise commenced and continued for some minutes (4-5) . NO water flowed through the machine, the head, nor could I get any hot water or steam. Thinking that the filter in the tank may be blocked I removed it. No joy. I repeated the whole flow through process some 8 or 10 times without success.
    My interpretation some internal bowel obstruction?? Perhaps the solenoid does not open??
    As I am a newbie I would appreciate advice.
    TIA
    jbarkeraus
    Not very ethical of the seller...

You could check the shower screen (use a phillips head and remove the screen to see if it's blocked).

Does water come out of the steam/hot water wands?

The other thing you can try is to call sunbeam and see if they can help troubleshoot over the phone. One thing they get you to do is run water through the hot water wand and group heads simultaneously to get rid of any airlocks.

Comment

First thing, try taking the tank out and re inserting firmly. Usually you will feel a little resistance when it's almost fully in, then it "clicks" into place.

This should activate a spring that releases the water from the tank into the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by sidewayss View Post
        First thing, try taking the tank out and re inserting firmly. Usually you will feel a little resistance when it's almost fully in, then it "clicks" into place.

This should activate a spring that releases the water from the tank into the machine.
        I need "Coffee for Dummies" As soon as I followed your advice and inserted the tank to the resistance point and then the final push it clicked into place. Oh joy - everything works perfectly
        Thank you "sidewayss"

Comment

Great to know it was a simple problem and not something that is going to take a technician to fix.

Happened to me a couple of times in the past when i take the tank out for a wash and re-fill, re-installed then wondering why there's no water coming

Comment

Good to hear it was an easy fix.

My friends machine is having similar symptoms, no flow of water out of group or wand, but also has the red light flashing, and it beeps.

Are there any service manuals out there that help diagnose the beeps, flashing light etc?

I will get them to try the above trick but it appears there are other issues.

Cheers

Comment

Artman is it the low water indicator near the drip tray or the light above the power button? If it's that it means there's no water flow.

The light above the power button in a normal situation would start flashing green upon heating up, then when it stops flashing and turns into a constant red, it is heated up and ready to use. The lights above the MANUAL and the single as well as double cup symbols should show a constant green.

If it flashes above the POWER button then it could be something else.

Comment

Its the low water indicator that is flashing. The lights near the buttons do not function as above, from memory they are all off when heating, then light up when heated? I will see him tomorrow, will have another play so I am not vague with symptoms.

Cheers

Comment

Before you do anything else, perform the sequence to reset all settings to factory default and see if that fixes it.

Comment

I didnt get to see my mate, will tell him to do factory reset and see what it does.

Are the reset instructions in the manual?

Thanks for the info everyone.

Cheers

Comment

Yes, the manual has the instructions for resets. If he doesn't have it you can get it HERE

Comment

Thanks, I have passed on the info, will report back findings.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X