Another Silvia PID install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Silvia PID install

Well after 12 months of owning my second hand Silvia I have treated it to a little birthday.

It was showing signs of past user neglect so a full strip down to bare chassis was in order. During the machine downtime I took the opportunity to insulate the boiler and add an Auber PID.

While its not 100% complete (LEDs lights to go back in and new chrome grouches cover) I just wanted to show it off so far.

Unfortunately the most important part of trying a shot hasnt happened yet.... Tomorrow

Hmm can't get photos to upload from the iPhone, I'll update this again tomorrow with photos.

Finally a photo of my finished silvia. The LED lights are off in this photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366207966.020671.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	734033

Comment

I've found myself seriously considering an Auber PID recently. Is the PID you have mounted on the outside of the machine, or have you cut an opening? Is that as the current Auber PID is supposed to be mounted? The pic I have seen on their site shows the pid in a small box that sits under the front edge.
      http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...products_id=36

Also, how much did you pay for the kit if you don't mind me asking? How long did the install take you and was it overly difficult?

Comment

oh, you also have some form of pressure gauge installed. Fancy!

Comment

Nice work

Originally posted by mentasm View Post
          I've found myself seriously considering an Auber PID recently. Is the PID you have mounted on the outside of the machine, or have you cut an opening? Is that as the current Auber PID is supposed to be mounted? The pic I have seen on their site shows the pid in a small box that sits under the front edge.

Also, how much did you pay for the kit if you don't mind me asking? How long did the install take you and was it overly difficult?
          Auber's is 150-200 depending on model, but you can get all the necessary parts for $45 if you're capable of making up the flyleads and mounting the thermocouple yourself.

Comment

I'm very NOT capable of making stuff up myself

Comment

Ah, nevermind then (unless you're in Tassie, in which case I could give you a hand easily enough)

Comment

Originally posted by mentasm View Post

I cut an opening for the auber PID and it has the external box still fitted to the PID to give it a little thermal protection. Internally I have insulated the boiler and add soundproofing throughout ( dynamat).

The pressure gauge is plumbed to the back of the pump but I'd like to move it closer to the boiler to dampen the pulsing.

All in all the fitting of the gear is quite simple if you have a Dremel and a few basic tools. It took me four or five hours to do because I took my time and measured three times before I cut

Comment

With no ventilation and an internal heat source, you may find that the controller gets hotter than it would if left open to the air

Would moving the pump actually dampen anything? (water being incompressible and all) I'd have thought an oil-filled gauge would be the better/only option.

Comment

OK, so the PID did come in a brushed metal box which can be mounted as per the pic on the Auber site. That's good as it would be my preference.

Did you find that the dynamat sound proofing did much?

How did you go about your boiler insulation. Do you find that gives benefits with maintaining consistent temps?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
                      With no ventilation and an internal heat source, you may find that the controller gets hotter than it would if left open to the air

Would moving the pump actually dampen anything? (water being incompressible and all) I'd have thought an oil-filled gauge would be the better/only option.
                      You may well be right about the thermal behavior of the PID and its lack of airflow.

Regards to the pressure gauge, it is glycerin filled but having it so close to an oscillating pump, it simply can't dampen out enough.
                      Putting the gauge in the steam line will dampen it by virtue of distance from the pump, the flexible line between the pump and the boiler will also add dampening.

Water is actually compressible, at around 6100psi (420bar) you'll see about 2% compression depending on temperature but in this case we can safely say it isn't .... My business is a subsea engineering company that we have to take such things into consideration.

Comment

Haha, I'll take your word for it then (that's a hellava lot of ulkas...) I was thinking water line + copper tubing makes distance semi-irrelevant, but I forgot about the tubing not all being copper.

When you say attaching it to the steam line, are you saying you'd pipe it to the discharge-side of the boiler instead to get extra dampening that way (small amount of air in the boiler plus extra flexible tubing distance)?

Comment

.Yes, I'd like to connect the gauge into the outlet of the boiler that goes to the steam wand.
                          Last edited by spin_addict; 18 April 2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X