EM6910 - latte' art contender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 - latte' art contender?

Yes... I know. Another god damn Sunbeam EM6910 discussion thread :P Like or loathe them, nobody can dispute how popular these machines are. Mine has been faultless for years but I am extremely pedantic about the cleaning regimen.

I was shown some latte art techniques by a seasoned pro recently. After being shown the correct way to hold and pour the jug (my form was so far off it wasn't even funny), I attempted a few of my own. The facilitator textured the milk for me, and the shots came from a La Marzocco Strada EP, so all the ingredients were fine grade. The end result wasn't half bad for a noobie.

I've now been trying to replicate the same thing at home with horrible results I use an EM0480 paired with EM6910 and I can get pretty decent milk from it. Definitely fresh paint-like consistency. Either my pouring is still out, or this machine aint really cut out for true art.

Can anyone comment? Cheers

My thoughts... You should be able to pull if off regardless of the machine you have. It will come down to properly textured full cream milk appropriate for latte art (ie not too thick), good coffee extraction, good technique and good accessories (more specifically, cappuccino cup and milk jug).

The cup should have a round/concave base with a wider rim. The milk jug should cant be too big or too small; 500ml is a good staring point.

Comment

Agreed, you can do good latte art on a 6910, it just took me a lot of practice.

Pete

Comment

Re: EM6910 - latte' art contender?

Originally posted by specialpants View Post
        My thoughts... You should be able to pull if off regardless of the machine you have. It will come down to properly textured full cream milk appropriate for latte art
        Which can be a LOT harder to do on a machine which isnt really up to it. I did an espresso course a while back where I was using a Synesso machine. First go I poured a really nice tulip. Ive had my BES820 for years, and still cant get the milk as consistent as on the synesso (and its never as good). I can pour decent art, but the machine just isnt very good for steaming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362282138667.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	733786

Comment

I did a course, probably at the same place as above (was in top end of city, near Victoria Pde) both the basic and art courses. I today came home owner of a 2nd hand EM6910 bought via Gumtree, did some basic service - it was cleaned but she hadn't wiped it properly so cloth came away dirty - but otherwise nice and shiny. Ran some water through it and made Chai Latte for the missus and the milk came out perfect. I've got a couple of Japanese-style chopsticks (pointy ends) I plan to use for my art practice.

Comment

Thanks everyone - I have been making progress!

I need to buy some concave cups and see if they make a difference, and I've been using a few different types of jugs. Still haven't got rosetta patterns but circular etching happens regularly with care, and these are the start (so I have been taught). I'll take some photos and put them in the gallery, should get a few lols

Comment

I must admit to being a little puzzled at the idea that the 'coffee' side of things has much to do with it. I'd have thought if you get crema that's about all that matters. And if you're not getting crema on a reasonable machine then you need to adjust things so you do or buy a new machine. Is that about it or am I missing something here?

Also, as far as I was aware, almost any steam wand will create usable and properly textured froth, just some take a bit longer to get there than others. Apart from the time, isn't the rest just technique and getting the 'magic sound' and temperature? I have no problems getting beautiful creamy and shiny milk with my 6910 - the wife says it is noticeably better than she gets in shops - given they have pro machines I presume that means I am more careful to get just the right consistency and temp from my milk.

I'm still settling into my machines - I have 2 working grinders now (see My New Machine for and account of the travails ) and the 6910 is working very well. Haven't got to god shot yet but I'm making better coffee than I have had from almost every shop I have bought from.

Note: 3 exceptions come to mind - A guy called Stuart near the Spencer St end of Collins St (can't recall the name of the café but it was just inside an arcade) the Treasury Café in MacArthur St near the Public Service buildings at the top end of Bourke St, and Adam, the drummer-guy they hired to run a machine in the ground floor of Dept of Education building.

So in just a few days, I am running somewhere around 4th best.

Comment

Originally posted by Iano1980 View Post
                Thanks everyone - I have been making progress!

I need to buy some concave cups and see if they make a difference, and I've been using a few different types of jugs. Still haven't got rosetta patterns but circular etching happens regularly with care, and these are the start (so I have been taught). I'll take some photos and put them in the gallery, should get a few lols
                I find the ACF bowl cups are easier to pour in than the tulips.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
                  I find the ACF bowl cups are easier to pour in than the tulips.
                  ACFs look like great cups....if you can find them. So many places I've looked are showing out of stock, back orders accepted.

I'm currently using Wedgewood Edme series cups that came with our dinner service. They're a great size and very classy but don't have a curved bottom. I can get a few patterns from them but haven't really been busting out anything spectacular.

Comment

I'm currently using the tulip cups form Rockingham and a 6910, and I'm getting good Art so it isn't impossible! Any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Iano1980 View Post
                      ACFs look like great cups....if you can find them. So many places I've looked are showing out of stock, back orders accepted.
                      Pretty sure the company has gone out of business, so I'd be less than confident about backorders being filled. It's sad, as they are very nice cups.

Comment

Yep, nothing wrong with the machine!! I am skipping round the house in excitement (with added caffeine of course)

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/art-galler...cs-here-5.html

Comment

Working...
                        X