Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia V3 PID..ing Melbourne

Hi all,

I got my Silvia V3 last year via the quote form on this site. Got a sweet deal $999 with rocky doserless. I had planned on spending nearly twice as much to get the same deal at a retail price with a PID installed. I'm glad I didn't. I've had time to practice now, I think the PID would have made it too hard to find all the things I was doing wrong.

In any case, I'm now looking to get the PID. I'm an electronics technician so I understand how it works and what I'd need to to do to put it in but I'd rather pay someone to install it being that there's 240v involved (too many tingling finger incidents for me). I'm happy to source the PID online but I need somewhere in Melbourne to get it installed (and maybe a service as well).

So does anyone know of anywhere that does such servicing/upgrades?

Thanks

Walzy

Contact Chris at Talk Coffee, excellent service

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
      Contact Chris at Talk Coffee, excellent service
      +1 for Chris at Talk Coffee.

Comment

Well, two recommendations for the same. Must be good.

Can I ask if you guys have done the same or similar through Chris at Talk Coffee?

Comment

Its such a simple install, with so many online guides and videos, its odd that dont want to have a go , .especially with your experience.
          Once you have collected all the parts & connectors, its a 1 hour job.
          The hardest part is deciding where & how to place the PID head unit. !

Comment

Originally posted by walzo View Post

Can I ask if you guys have done the same or similar through Chris at Talk Coffee?
            No I haven't, however I have had dealings with Chris, he has an excellent reputation.

Comment

oh, I AM keen to do it. I'd just rather know that it's connected properly because someone with the actual 240v certification has wired it and it's not just my handy-work going by what some guy has posted on the net. Purely for the "just in case", that's all. If it was a $50 kmart special I'd have done it by now.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations CS'ers. They are greatly appreciated!

Hi walzo,

When it transpired that I could purchase individual Silvias at a retail price far less than my bulk buy wholesale price we had no option than to discontinue support. The last PID I fitted to a Silvia was one of Jim's quite some years ago and I am happy to leave it at that. I recommend Rick aka site sponsor The Coffee Machinist if you'd like your PID fitted for you.

Good luck!

Chris

Comment

had a long chat, email, with Chris over if/how it can be done. Made a decision to not go ahead but if I had Coffee Talk was my place of choice

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Took the advice from Chris and sent an email off to Rick.

Comment

I'm an electronics technician so I understand how it works and what I'd need to to do to put it in......
                      ..., I AM keen to do it. I'd just rather know that it's connected properly because someone with the actual 240v certification has wired it and it's not just my handy-work.
                      Im surprised an electronics tecnician doesnt have 240v a ticket ?

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                        Im surprised an electronics tecnician doesnt have 240v a ticket ?
                        Army training for the win. Electronics technicians focus more on data comms than electronics anyway (for the most part). Electricians (240v) used to get their A grade licence but I think that's been phased out. They now have to do a minimum term before they get it. It annoyed a lot of people.

I'm sure I could do it, but it wouldn't be clean or legit.

Comment

is there any legal impediment to rewiring a silvia, not being an 'electrical installation'?

as far as I know, the regulations pertain to the selling of electrical devices (some of which may need to meet certain standards), and the installation of fixed devices. Anything with a plug should be fine _if you know what you are doing_.

Comment

I would agree too, however, I'm sure an insurance company trying not to pay out on a house fire (slightly extreme) would argue that your modification of your coffee machine is grounds for them not to pay out. That's the only reason I'm not doing it myself. Trust me, I would really rather do it myself, would be half the cost. Appreciate the discussion, don't take my responses the wrong way.
                            Last edited by walzo; 28 March 2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

.... insurance ......
                              .... That's the only reason I'm not doing it myself. Trust me, I would really rather do it myself, would be half the cost..
                              That is an ultra remote risk.. more likely you will be hit by a lightening flash !
                              for me its more about self satisfaction of a DIY job, and and understanding exactly how the systems function.
                              Someone once told me you shouldn't own anything you cant maintain and repair yourself.
                              Its not easy, practical (or cost effective often), these days with electronics and miniaturization , but the Silvia is pretty straight forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X