Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC Oscar for beginner?

Me again!

So after my last post on the Lelits I was presented with a few more options within my price range, many thanks to everyone who posted and contacted me with advice. One of the new options is a brand new NS Oscar which just comes in under my budget of $1000 from a CS site sponsor.

I am quite interested in this offer, but I am just wondering if it is suitable for a complete novice like me? Is it a difficult beastie to master, or a little more user friendly than Miss Silvia (yes I have swung back to that option mainly based upon price and how much it is loved around here). The package also includes training on the machine when I pick it up and I understand that which ever machine I end up purchasing I will need to have training and loads of practise!

I understand (in my very limited way) that they are completely different machines, and that the Oscar is a step up from the Silvia. Also another CS sponsor suggested a HX was more suited to my lifestyle than a single boiler anyway, less chance of me killing a HX when I'm sleep deprived/distracted.

Ahhhhh, so many choices!

Only spotted one question in there....

Answer: Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmytheboot View Post
      Only spotted one question in there....

Answer: Yes

Actually there were a few, I might have just missed a few question marks!

- Is the Oscar suitable/good choice for a beginner?
      - Is it difficult to master?
      - Is it a bit more forgiving to operate than the Silvia (kind of the same question as the one above!)

Which question did you spot?
      Last edited by mcbeal; 4 April 2013, 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

Spotted: I am quite interested in this offer, but I am just wondering if it is suitable for a complete novice like me?

Yes it would be good for a beginner, mastering will be easier because a cooling flush is simpler to get right then temp surfing a silvia.
        Instant steaming with no need to prime after... may be life changing for a milk drinker.
        Aside from getting the temperature right, IMO forgiveness is more dependant on the grinder.

Comment

Thanks Jimmytheboot!

I will be using a new Rancilio Rocky and the business is even happy for me to bring it in with me and train/get everything right before sending me on my way which is very kind of them to say the least!!

Comment

I took delivery of my Silver NS Oscar yesterday. I have coupled it with a Mahlig Vario grinder. I am an absolute beginner having never used a machine or grinder before. I went through 5 or 6 brews in the double basket
            dialling the grinder to get the 30ml/30sec flow.Bit of a taste of the straight coffee each time. I level filled the basket and then tamped on each occasion. First brew was no flow at all so coarsened the grind until about right. I have now had 4 brews which would probably be called capuccino and IMO are as good as a good coffee shop. Totally delighted . Oscar was ordered on the net, paid $1010 delivered, arrived in 7 days including Easter. The Vario grinder (bought locally) is very easy to adjust grind and grind time, goes straight into the Portafilter , no mess. I must admit I haven't been brave enough to use the steam wand yet because I wanted to focus on getting the coffee right. I have been using a Breville frother which has done a pretty good job. Tomorrow I'll try the steam. Hope this gives you some encouragement, I am very pleased.

Comment

????????????

Comment

What is your question Lotta ?

Comment

Originally posted by ceeldee View Post
                  I took delivery of my Silver NS Oscar yesterday. I have coupled it with a Mahlig Vario grinder. I am an absolute beginner having never used a machine or grinder before. I went through 5 or 6 brews in the double basket
                  dialling the grinder to get the 30ml/30sec flow.Bit of a taste of the straight coffee each time. I level filled the basket and then tamped on each occasion. First brew was no flow at all so coarsened the grind until about right. I have now had 4 brews which would probably be called capuccino and IMO are as good as a good coffee shop. Totally delighted . Oscar was ordered on the net, paid $1010 delivered, arrived in 7 days including Easter. The Vario grinder (bought locally) is very easy to adjust grind and grind time, goes straight into the Portafilter , no mess. I must admit I haven't been brave enough to use the steam wand yet because I wanted to focus on getting the coffee right. I have been using a Breville frother which has done a pretty good job. Tomorrow I'll try the steam. Hope this gives you some encouragement, I am very pleased.
                  The Oscar is a great machine so I'm not surprised your getting good shots and I'm glad to hear your having success so quickly. The steam is certainly powerful but nothing to be nervous about. As it is so powerful I find small amounts of milk heat too quickly and sometimes lacks texture but that is still my work in progress. I tend to do double milk so to prevent wastage I have two double shots..

Enjoy the ride.

Cheers Yabba

Comment

Thanks Yabba, I bought my grinder and accessories from a shop in Melbourne and was told that 600ml was as big as I should go to easily froth the milk. Is that about right do you think, if I fill half way ? As an aside
                    I changed beans today and was shocked to find that the grind that gave me a great cup yesterday was choked. I lost two brews backing off the grinder to get the flow right.

Comment

Cee,

600 mls would do 20 coffees for me.... I guess its all relative and I should have been clearer. All I would suggest is heat around the amount you need and learn the nuances for the steam from your machine. I try to make coffee for my wife and enough for a second coffee for myself. Around the 200 - 300 mls.

Don't forget the fun is in the journey and your on your way. Oh and yes the grind will change, that's why they are variable.

Cheers Yabba

Comment

Good thread, some great information. I have a quick question, to the OP as well as others - at ~$1000, is there a better machine for milk drinkers? Aside from christmas or birthdays, no more than 2 coffees at a time is ever made (though up to 8 coffees a day will be poured), but they will both be milky.

I'm not interested in the Breville dual boiler as it is more of an appliance than a coffee machine and having been burned by the appalling support of Sunbeam and their 6900 machine I'd rather an out and out coffee machine, from a company that sells little more than coffee machines, ideally from a CS sponsor who does little else than coffee machines (so if I ring up in 6 or 36 months time with a problem, they know intimately what I'm on about). I live 6 hours from any capital city so after-sales support from people who aren't box movers is critical.

I've done the same budget creep as others, starting at a Gaggia classic ($500), then up to ~$700 for a Silvia or Lelit but have been sold on a PID version of those which puts you at $900-$1000. At that point, I might as well go the whole hog and get something like the Oscar for bugger all more. Does that sound reasonable given the story above?

Comment

elfinke, You are pretty much where I was before buying an Oscar. After a week I am still delighted, it has OMG steam, so easy to use for milk drinks. You might struggle to find a full service vendor at the base price. At the end of the day spare parts seem to be readily available so service and repairs shouldn't be an issue. Living 6 hours out of town box mover seems to be what you need. Seems strange but as far as I can tell warranty on this sort of gear seems to be the responsibility of the vendor rather than the
                          distributor or manufacturer (Breville excepted) . In light of that history is not necessarily any guide to future solvency in these rather volatile times. This model has been in manufacture since 2002 so it is not a rarity.

Comment

Hi ceeldee,

Thanks for the feedback. My mind is almost made up, I think. Mind you, this purchase was originally planed as part of a tax return purchase so I've got plenty of time to change my mind! I think I'll shoot a handful of emails and phone calls out to CS sponsors who have the Oscar on their stock lists and pepper them with these question above and let the answers fall where they may.

Comment

Hi all,

We have been stocking the Nuova Simonelli Oscar four over four years and have a fair bit of experience in getting the best out of them.
                              Feel free to contact me for any information at all
                              Regards
                              Antony

Comment

Working...
                              X