That upgrade decision - done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That upgrade decision - done!

So.....two weeks of intense research, worrying, day dreaming...just what to buy to upgrade from the Sunbeam EM6910. It was working fine, the steamer just wasn't quite as good as it was in the beginning (2 years old) and I was wanting, desiring more from my machine and coffee. Just wanted something that would take me back to the days of owning my own cafe and commercial machine. But, oh so much choice, so much feedback and so many $$$$$.

In the end it came down to a hard crunch between at the bottom end: the new Sunbeam EM7000, a NS Oscar on special, the Breville DB, the Rocket Giotto (2 yrs old) and the NS Musica. I read the forums till my eyes hurt, I watched many Youtube videos.....I searched ebay, CSnob's and Gumtree. It came down to a great price offered by Antony at Casa Espresso in Melbourne (CS Sponsor), reviews and hands on reviews on Youtube. It's not a cheap home machine, though cheaper than the Giotto.

Unpacked, filled and heated. Pretty simple to use and am loving the steam handle and boy what steam pressure! woo hoo...a 4 hole nozzle and I was nervous it would feel like riding a race horse when you were used to a merry go round pony....but the control and sound made it easy to dial in the sweet spot and in no time flat and I mean it, beautiful glossy micro foam. Still dialling in my bean grind, will try tomorrow morning and also get some fresh local beans. But the couple of shots I pulled so far look very very promising.

Overall I am impressed with the modern look of the machine, it suites my modern kitchen, it's compact, shiny and matches the Mazzer mini pretty well. The build quality looks good, so I will cross my fingers that the reliability comes with it. I hope to hold on to this baby for quite a few years.

Upgrading, it's stressful, fun and confusing. Which machine, how much to spend, from who, reliability vs cost, is their a service place nearby (if needed) and ease of use. I just hope my post sings true to the rest of you out there with upgraditis.....you can DO it.

I don't know if I've read your post incorrectly but what did you choose, you give what you had to choose between but not which one!

Comment

From reading another thread it seems that the Musica was the winner.

Comment

hmmmm I did leave it very cryptic didn't I? Sorry, it was the NS Musica...from Antony at Casa Espresso. Playing with it right now, still struggling to get the drip/water tray out????? Got me beat???? And as in the NS Musica thread, it doesn't cover it in the manual???? Anyone?

Comment

okay have made eight shots this morning, went from weak and ran too fast, to didn't run at all. Too fine or tamped too hard? Then went back the other way a bit too far.....this is fun and am sure I'm about to hit the sweet spot! The coffee certainly is showing more notes in the flavours, especially compared to what I could achieve with the Sunbeam em6910. It can only go up from here!

Comment

Very jealous of your set up mate! Might be time for an upgrade for me.. Anyway, I'm sure your sweet spot is coming soon. From my experience, the Mazzer's collar adjustment is quite sensitive so it's a good idea to not really make adjustments more than 5mm at a time.

Also when dialling in, it's important that you keep everything consistent. The dose and the tamp are two of the biggest things for me (although some may argue that the tamp doesn't really matter). This way you are limiting the variables to only the particle size of your grind.

Cheers,
            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mwcalder05 View Post
              Very jealous of your set up mate! Might be time for an upgrade for me.. Anyway, I'm sure your sweet spot is coming soon. From my experience, the Mazzer's collar adjustment is quite sensitive so it's a good idea to not really make adjustments more than 5mm at a time.

Also when dialling in, it's important that you keep everything consistent. The dose and the tamp are two of the biggest things for me (although some may argue that the tamp doesn't really matter). This way you are limiting the variables to only the particle size of your grind.

Cheers,
              Michael
              ahhh thanks Michael, still searching for that sweet spot this morning. I agree I think the tamp and dose are vital (plus grind) I seem to be still pulling weak shots, the pre infusion comes through okay timing, but the pour still looks thin. Yesterday I think I was too fine and nothing was coming out! So I reduced the dose and made the grind a little coarser. Now I am not getting that rich thick syrupy pour....argh! It's fun though.....even if I am chewing through beans and milk!!! LOVE love love the power in the steam!! woo hoo

Comment

Dose is the definitely the biggest factor to keep consistent so you aren't wasting as many beans. I always weigh my basket to see if it's consistently 22g (I use a VST). Anyways, small adjustments and patience my friend!

Love a lot of steam power too! It's always such a let down going back to the 6910 after being on the FB80 at work all day..*sigh*

Good Luck!
                Michael

Ps: just saw you were using Wolff's coffee - I love it! If you're up north come visit my workplace sometime

Comment

Originally posted by mwcalder05 View Post
                  Dose is the definitely the biggest factor to keep consistent so you aren't wasting as many beans. I always weigh my basket to see if it's consistently 22g (I use a VST). Anyways, small adjustments and patience my friend!

Love a lot of steam power too! It's always such a let down going back to the 6910 after being on the FB80 at work all day..*sigh*

Good Luck!
                  Michael

Ps: just saw you were using Wolff's coffee - I love it! If you're up north come visit my workplace sometime
                  Thanks Michael, weighing maybe a good idea....what is VST??? Definately, where is your place on the Sunshine Coast???

Comment

Originally posted by kazbah View Post
                    Thanks Michael, weighing maybe a good idea....what is VST??? Definately, where is your place on the Sunshine Coast???
                    Use that search bar my friend because It is your friend! If you are around it is at: 59 Rene Street, Noosaville, Queensland, 4565

How's the coffee going?
                    Michael

Comment

lol will do, search bar here I come! Yesterday I hit the sweet spot, could taste every note of that fine Wolff blend, the same again this morning.....finally got the grind right for this bean and the dose/tamp sorted. Got the milk stretching sorted, now to improve that very average latte art!! thanks for your tips everyone!! One happy bunny

Comment

Working...
                      X