Sunbeam EM6910 hot, even when not on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6910 hot, even when not on.

I bought a second hand EM6910 off ebay about a month ago. Been great so far, but got home tonight to make a coffee and found it was very hot at the top (around the heating plate and the controls) even though its been off. I turned it on and it worked fine. So I unpluged it, let it cool, then plugged it back in. Left it for the length of a movie came back to check it. Hot again.

Has anyone had this issue?

Its like its heating the thermal block even when not on. Obviously I'm worried about it catching fire or something so I want to sort it. I have a spare EM6910 which has a really dirty brew head from never being properly cleaned which I got for parts. So I'm thinking of switching over the PCB tomorrow to see if this helps.

My 6910 stays hot even when it is in standby mode - the PF and the warming tray are both kept warm. The tray isn't hot, just warm but the PF would almost be uncomfortable to leave my hand on. So I guess it depends what you call hot - as in non-touchable or is it just at operating temps?

Comment

I think the op means off - the green on light is not on or flashing. ('dimly lit' in jinglish)

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
        My 6910 stays hot even when it is in standby mode - the PF and the warming tray are both kept warm. The tray isn't hot, just warm but the PF would almost be uncomfortable to leave my hand on. So I guess it depends what you call hot - as in non-touchable or is it just at operating temps?

Its hot hot, like nearly untouchable. the warming tray and controls are hot, but still touchable.

Originally posted by thegoner View Post
        I think the op means off - the green on light is not on or flashing. ('dimly lit' in jinglish)
        Yeah I mean the unit is plugged in and switched on at the wall but no LEDs are lit at all.

Comment

Well it depends on how annoyed you are at having to switch it on at the power point every time. If it works normally in all other respects...

I unplug mine when not in use, to save some stand by current, given the way electricity prices are climbing.

Comment

Well it depends on how annoyed you are at having to switch it on at the power point every time. If it works normally in all other respects...

I unplug mine when not in use, to save some stand by current, given the way electricity prices are climbing.
            Yeah, I normally do switch it off as I have had a grinder burn out before while I was home luckly. But I'd just hate to think that I forgot to switch off at the wall before going to work and having it sit there hot and something happening. I'm about to switch the PCBs over, so will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Come on people, address the issue, sounds to me very much like an electrical fault.

Get it checked out by a qualified person before you burn the house down or even worse electrocute someone.

Perhaps this is the reason the original owner sold it.

Comment

He is, as he said 'is in the process of swapping the main board. No doubt he' ll have a bit of a look while inside for anything out of the ordinary, or obvious problems on the card.

I opened up mine the other day and unfortunately discovered it was a preschool for cockroaches. (Check all the areas that don't get hot enough to kill them. Especially where the power cord goes into the unit and inside each of the four feet.) it's amazing what a bit of insect can do in the wrong place.

Comment

I opened up mine the other day and unfortunately discovered it was a preschool for cockroaches. (Check all the areas that don't get hot enough to kill them. Especially where the power cord goes into the unit and inside each of the four feet.) it's amazing what a bit of insect can do in the wrong place.

Haha, found a few cobwebs in mine. Switched the PCB over, solved the problem, havent properly checked out the faulty PCB as I didn't have time, but at a glance, there was no visual problems.

Originally posted by Yelta
                  Come on people, address the issue, sounds to me very much like an electrical fault.

Get it checked out by a qualified person before you burn the house down or even worse electrocute someone.

Perhaps this is the reason the original owner sold it.
                  While I respect the concerns with this, I have had alot of experience with electronics, AC and DC. The process of switching over the PCB in an EM6910 is very straight forward if you have experience. I DO NOT recommend people that do not feel comfortable with electronics do this, and i would NEVER recommend anyone do this with the AC still connected. I have also passed my EM6910 on the Megger at work so I have confidence that there is no immediate risk.

I wouldnt be supprised if it was a known issue with the original ower, but unforutnatly due to the fact is only did it a month after me receiving it, I dont really have a leg to stand on if I persued it

Comment

Working...
                  X