Izzo e61 Portafilter sliding out when not held in place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Izzo e61 Portafilter sliding out when not held in place

I've recently been having an issue with my Izzo e61 where the portafilter slips out when running water through the brew head. Here is the scenario.

1. Fill the portafilter with ground coffee
    2. Insert the portafilter and twist anti clockwise to approximately 90 degrees
    3. Run the espresso
    4. Eventually the portafilter will twist clockwise and completely disengage.

The only way that the portafilter will stay in place is if i hold it manually. I replace the brew head gasket and this has not remedied the problem.

I suspect that this might be an issue somewhere up with the 'locking in' action of the portafilter in the brew head, but i'm no expert!

Has anyone got any wise words, recommendations or tips to solve this problem?

Hello gianfran,

The portafilter is loose. Engage the portafilter until it's firm against the seal regardless of 90deg or not. If it's going further than 90deg and you are bothered by that, swap to a thicker group seal.

Comment

thanks for your response!

I'm engaging the portafilter to the point where the whole machine moves because of the force i'm applying in locking it in. the concern is that it has only started to happen recently and that even with a new seal, it is still occurring.

Comment

Morning Gianfran, how old is the machine, is it possible it's a wear related problem (portafilter/group collar)?

I had a similar problem with my Silvia after about 7 years of use, cured it by a few strokes with a fine file on the load bearing surface of the PF, reduced the angle slightly, never had the problem again.

Comment

Hi there Yelta,

I have suspected that this may be the case. The machine is over 10 years old and the metal of the PF or group head may be worn out?

Comment

Are you handy with tools? will go into more detail if you can do the job yourself, it's a quick and simple fix.

Comment

I'd like to think that I can fix this myself if it's easy enough. Would love for you to walk me through your method.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                Are you handy with tools? will go into more detail if you can do the job yourself, it's a quick and simple fix.
                My Isomac Tea has started doing this - the portafilter will turn it's way off the group head while pouring a shot. Yelta - I'm assuming you are talking about filing the underside of the locking lugs on the portafilter - is this correct?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by G-Dog View Post
                  My Isomac Tea has started doing this - the portafilter will turn it's way off the group head while pouring a shot. Yelta - I'm assuming you are talking about filing the underside of the locking lugs on the portafilter - is this correct?

Cheers
                  Evening G-Dog,

This is a pretty old thread.

From memory, secure the PF in a vice to hold it steady, file the lugs on the PF to reduce the angle between them and the group head, use a sharp fine file and take care not to remove too much material, take it slowly, and check the fit as you go, be careful, you don't need to remove much.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for that

Comment

Working...
                    X