What could be wrong with my silvia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What could be wrong with my silvia?

All of a sudden when I do a shot the water flows through way too fast and looks horrid, I doubt it was my grind but I went a little finer, still the same, tamped a little harder still the same, just looks terrible, was pulling some nice shots then just died on me.

Cheers for any info.

JJ

Not much to go on there JJ, how about stale/supermarket beans for a start?

Comment

nah I get my beans from a roaster around the corner fresh every 2nd weekend generally only a small bag and I keep them in the freezer, take out what I need and grind them using a mazzer superjolly, im using about 20g a go as that's where ive found I like the taste.

As for what I mean is, generally you know a good shot looks full body, smooth, creamy and well textured as its flowing into your cup nice and steady. This is like brown water and a little thin slick of trying to be crema coming through, squirting all over the place and just looking like terrible hot chocolate, not smooth and steady but a flowing thru the puck real fast.

Comment

I would'nt keep the beans in the freezer for starters. a cool dry and dark place in a cupboard may be your best bet. Maybe you need some fresh beans to try with again.
        chris

Comment

Can you adjust your grind fine enough to choke the m/c ?
          If so, go there first and gradually back off.
          If you cant grind fine enough to choke the m/c, .....you have a grinder problem. !

Comment

Originally posted by Tasmik View Post
            This is like brown water and a little thin slick of trying to be crema coming through, squirting all over the place and just looking like terrible hot chocolate, not smooth and steady but a flowing thru the puck real fast.
            Sounds like channelling to me. What basket are you using? What is your dosing and levelling procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
              Can you adjust your grind fine enough to choke the m/c ?
              If so, go there first and gradually back off.
              If you cant grind fine enough to choke the m/c, .....you have a grinder problem. !
              +1

If grinding a little finer didnt fix it why stop there? grind a lot finer

Comment

Your not giving us much to go on Tasmik, why not describe your process from start to finish?

Are you grinding on demand?
                Do you start with a clean grinder and brush the chute and doser out after every shot?
                What make and size of basket are you using?
                How do you tamp and what with?
                Do you back flush regularly?
                When was the last time you removed the shower screen on the Silvia and gave it a good clean up?
                Have you changed anything in the process recently?

I had a Silvia for 10 years and got to know the machine pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                X