Miss Silvia's New Clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Silvia's New Clothes

Just for something different I decided to try the Prosumer look. It started innocently enough - the plastic chrome shroud around the group head was peeling so I removed it. I liked the industrial look of the brass group head so I cleaned it up and left it exposed. This then led to something more. The aim was to give the Silvia a more Prosumer look. The criteria was to not spend any more than a kilo of beans - about $35 bucks, to not cut up the original fascia or drill any extra holes, and to be able to revert back to original in less than a minute.

I sourced a brushed stainless steel sheet (to match the rest of the machine) for free from an engineering workshop, a bought a plumbing connection from Bunnings for about $6 for the drip pipe and I used kitchen drawer grab knobs ($2.95 each) for the legs. A simple template and this is the end result. I understand it may not be everyone's thing but for now I like having something a bit unique and different.....a whole lot cheaper than the Wega Mininova Classic I was itching to upgrade to.

I like it! I'd get this done to my silvia for sure

Comment

Originally posted by pudpatrick View Post
      I like it! I'd get this done to my silvia for sure
      Thanks - for the cost you can't go wrong I guess. And it reverts back in a minute.

Comment

With a little elbow grease, you can make that group glow !
        Click image for larger version

Name:	p8310659.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	734406

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
          With a little elbow grease, you can make that group glow !
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3417[/ATTACH]
          I love it. Did you do it all by hand by wet-sanding? Appreciate any pointers.

Comment

Yes, worked down from 180 grit dry, to 1200 wet, then polishing compound.
            Took an hour or so !

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
              Yes, worked down from 180 grit dry, to 1200 wet, then polishing compound.
              Took an hour or so !
              Thanks - it's been on my 'to do' list for a couple of weeks but I wanted to get the fascia on first and get that finished. I'll be over the moon if it looks as good as yours...well done.

Comment

What did you use to cut the ssteel? looks pretty neat for a home job
                also, did you cover the inside too, as I thought that part is black painted?

Comment

Originally posted by okitoki View Post
                  What did you use to cut the ssteel? looks pretty neat for a home job
                  also, did you cover the inside too, as I thought that part is black painted?
                  Yes, I covered the inside too but only the area that would be visible plus a few mm. I got a mate to cut it at his workshop - unfortunately the stainless steel I got (for free) is 16 gauge which is much thicker than the standard Silvia gauge so it needed a special cutting tool/guillotine which I didn't have.

Comment

Working...
                  X