BES900 vs EM7000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BES900 vs EM7000

Hi, new member here after some advice. I have read some of the threads relating to these two machine, but hoping to get some more opinions.
    The em7000 is currently available at DJ for $719, and a free grinder 480 by redemption.
    The es900 is $1199, but does not include a grinder. So with the grinder it costs around $700 more. Is the es900 that much better?
    I generally drink flat white, but with half the usually amount of milk. I will only make one cup in the morning on weekdays, a few more on weekends. The ease and speed of making a cup is important to me, as is a quick start up time.
    I currently have a nespresso, but willing to spend up to a few minutes to make a cup of good coffee. I am getting rather dissatisfied with the taste of nespresso. I previously had an automatic delonghi, which made ok coffee, but rather bad milk.
    There is one review i found on the em7000 which is quite positive, although I gather the grinder included is not the best, so I am thinking of getting a BSG 800 to go with it. Is spending more to get the es900 worthwhile?
    thanks

The EM7000 can be had for $647.10 if you use the coupon code WELCOME10 at checkout. Free EM0480 via redemption if Sunbeam receives the claim by 30/06/13.

As per BES900 thread 10% off this item with same code.

Sunbeam is a thermoblock machine and Breville a dual boiler. Sunbeam has quicker heat-up than the Breville and simpler to use and maintain. Breville probably allows greater adjustment of the process but at the higher price. Its recommended to have a service centre do the descaling with the Breville whereas you can do it yourself with the Sunbeam.

If you're starting out, the Sunbeam EM7000 with free EM0480 grinder via redemption is a pretty attractive deal. Check the Breville Dual Boiler BES900 thread if you have a spare week or so - all 87 pages of it! There doesn't seem to much in the way of negative comments online re: the EM7000 which seems to indicate no major issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
      The EM7000 can be had for $647.10 if you use the coupon code WELCOME10 at checkout. Free EM0480 via redemption if Sunbeam receives the claim by 30/06/13.

This is tempting. Decision decision.....

Comment

One other thing - if you're moving up from a pod machine, find a good coffee supplier. Not sure where you are (BrisVegas perhaps? ) but there are forum sponsors who ship beans to all kinds of places and can give you grinding advice. Or look around your local area for a roaster.

Also the EM0480 may or may not be properly set up but a modification is simple enough to do. It's basically adding a shim (thin washer) to bring the grind up to spec. Also Ray_C has a thread on a more comprehensive adjustment which you can read here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/25592-how-fix-those-dreaded-em0480-problems-good.html]

Comment

I will probably get the beans from Merlo, close to home.
          If I do get the machine (either EM7000 or BES900) I will get then BSG. One problem, I want them in red, but Sunbeam and Breville have different shade of red!!!! Grrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Brissienew View Post
            I will probably get the beans from Merlo, close to home.
            If I do get the machine (either EM7000 or BES900) I will get then BSG. One problem, I want them in red, but Sunbeam and Breville have different shade of red!!!! Grrrrrr.
            Breville have the Smart Grinder in their "Cranberry" color same as the BES900. If you go the EM7000 you could always sell off the free EM0480 grinder.
            At Christmas the Smart grinder was also offered as a freebie with the BES900. Don't know if Breville might offer this closer to End Of Financial year? They currently have bonus Smart Grinder with the BES900 listed in their "Promotions" page but its currently not active, along with a couple other bonus offers on Breville products. May be from earlier in the year and expired or could be in preparation? There is a recently expired promotion on a Barista course with the BES900 which finished 31/5/13.

Comment

Hi I just bought the Bes900 and sold my bes860 not that it was faulty just that i was not having much success making coffee but that was more me than machine but i did not like the small basket plus the inbuilt grinder much prefer stand alone grinder I bought the Breville smart grinder it seems fine to me plus it just looks better plus the bes900 is a bigger machine and the whole package turns coffee making into more of a ritual ive taken the plugs off and drilled hole through bench top then replaced plugs and have them plugged into socket under bench so no leads showing and have coffee retro art all around the kitchen I know its over the top but I love it ....my Daughter is a Barista and says the bes900 is a very good machine ,,,,i just drink long blacks and expressos and wow perfect every time ,, I did buy a top quality tamper I didn't like the cheap looking thing that came with the machine in new zealand I paid $1400 for machine then $399 for grinder ,,,,really pleased perfect ....cheers

Comment

Was eyeing the BES900 but couldn't justify spending the $'s when I've got a newborn. Instead, I upgraded to the EM7000 (from the EM5900) and love it. I've only pulled one shot out of it so far and it produced a thick syrupy pour. Used fresh home roasted beans (about 10 days old).

Bought it for $647.10, as mentioned by CafeLotta, by using the welcome10 code for a further 10% off the DJ's price. Reckon that's good value.

Steaming power is a significant improvement on my old machine. I'm sure the BES900 is better machine, but the Sunbeam can pull a nice shot.

Comment

Originally posted by bonsaiboy View Post
                  Was eyeing the BES900 but couldn't justify spending the $'s when I've got a newborn. Instead, I upgraded to the EM7000 (from the EM5900) and love it. I've only pulled one shot out of it so far and it produced a thick syrupy pour. Used fresh home roasted beans (about 10 days old).

Bought it for $647.10, as mentioned by CafeLotta, by using the welcome10 code for a further 10% off the DJ's price. Reckon that's good value.

Steaming power is a significant improvement on my old machine. I'm sure the BES900 is better machine, but the Sunbeam can pull a nice shot.
                  Do you get the grinder on redemption by buying online? Sunbeam's site seems to indicate that it is only for in store purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Brissienew View Post
                    Do you get the grinder on redemption by buying online? Sunbeam's site seems to indicate that it is only for in store purchase.
                    Not sure... I went to bricks'n'mortar store and they matched the price. I don't see why you couldn't get the redemption, but should be easy to confirm by calling Sunbeam.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post

As per BES900 thread 10% off this item with same code.

Sunbeam is a thermoblock machine and Breville a dual boiler. Sunbeam has quicker heat-up than the Breville and simpler to use and maintain. Breville probably allows greater adjustment of the process but at the higher price. Its recommended to have a service centre do the descaling with the Breville whereas you can do it yourself with the Sunbeam.

If you're starting out, the Sunbeam EM7000 with free EM0480 grinder via redemption is a pretty attractive deal. Check the Breville Dual Boiler BES900 thread if you have a spare week or so - all 87 pages of it! There doesn't seem to much in the way of negative comments online re: the EM7000 which seems to indicate no major issues with it.
                      Well its definetly a case of "you snooze, you lose". DJs has obviously wised up to the WELCOME10 code being used for an extra 10% off on their already discounted sale items and its no longer valid. Hopefully a few CSrs were able to grab a bargain while it was working.

Comment

Yes, and I lost, still without a machine...

Comment

Man... tough break on the removal of the DJ's code... seems like I just snuck in *phew*. Wouldn't worry too much Brissienew, at least you're shopping around the right time of year for sales

Comment

Bonsaiboy, how's the em7000, still think it is good? Do you think the milk steamer is good? And what grinder do you use? Thx.

Comment

A HN store offered me a stainless es900 with a free grinder for $1199 today, but no colored ones which is what I prefer. Will probably just get the em7000 to save a few hundred dollars.

Comment

Working...
                              X