Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can pull decent espresso shots on Em7000

Greetings all,
    I purchased a Sunbeam EM7000 coffee machine a week ago hoping to get better coffee shots than my Breville ES800. So far, I have tried to extract 30 or so shots but haven't had even ONE good shot. I was expecting honey like rich speckled extraction but all I get is watery, sour shots with negligible crema. Till now, have tried:
    • Different grind sizes from fine to coarse (and somewhere in between).
    • Tried using Vittoria beans and fresh beans bought from a roastery.
    • Tamped the coffee lightly and applied the recommended pressure of 15Kg's while tamping.
    • Increased the water temp by 2 degrees on the machine.

None of this has worked!!! Is there something I am missing. I am getting really frustrated with the fact that I am unable to get a decent shot. HELP!!!!

what grinder are you using, and how fresh are your beans would be the first few questions people would ask... (Vittoria Coffee from Supermarket?)
    also, are you using a pressurised or non-pressurised filter basket (for your EM7000 and previously ES800)

Comment

Hi okitoki
      • I have a Breville Bar aroma burr grinder that I generally use. I find the grind too coarse so I take the ground coffee and grind it a bit more in another cheapie Sunbeam grinder that I own.
      • Vittoria beans were purchased from Coles and I bought roasted beans from a roastery just to see the difference between the two. While Vittoria beans could be old, I doubt the beans from the roastery could be older than a day or two.
      • I don,t think the basket is pressurised i.e. the basket does not have a single outlet hole. It has many holes.

Comment

Originally posted by am77 View Post
        Hi okitoki
        • I have a Breville Bar aroma burr grinder that I generally use. I find the grind too coarse so I take the ground coffee and grind it a bit more in another cheapie Sunbeam grinder that I own.
        • Vittoria beans were purchased from Coles and I bought roasted beans from a roastery just to see the difference between the two. While Vittoria beans could be old, I doubt the beans from the roastery could be older than a day or two.
        • I don,t think the basket is pressurised i.e. the basket does not have a single outlet hole. It has many holes.
        OK - so your grinding is a major issue, and if you have tried the beans from the (reputable) local roastary, and still had the same issue, you have eliminated the bean quality as your major problem - pointing directly to your grinding. The Bar aroma doesn't cut it as an espresso grinder, and mushing things up further probably doesn't help.

Get your local roastary to grind a small bag of beans for you (espresso grind) then test that. Go straight home (do not pass go, do not collect $200) so you are dealing with a fresh grind from a quality grinder.

If this still doesn't work, it comes down to technique....your machine is very capable of producing a good shot.

Comment

am77,

From what i have read to put it Fair but bluntly The freshness of the beans you are using which someone has already commented on seem questionable. I will also mention the grinder you are using is below ok for what you personally are wanting to achieve. I wont say there is anything wrong with this grinder however your expectations of what YOU want are higher than what the grinder can achieve. You are going to need to consider a grinder anywhere from a Breville Smart grinder or rocky and upwards..

Regards,

Chris

Comment

Should I suggest getting a pressurised filter basket (Dual Wall) to get a slightly better result if you can't get a better grinder for now? you would not get the sour yucky coffee you are getting now, but it won't be the rich tasty espresso you expect, it would be passable till you can afford a better grinder, and switch back to the normal non-pressurised filter

Comment

am77, what state are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
                Confusion, despair or optimism? :-D

Comment

Couldn't resist that one!!
                  am77, stick with one bean to sort out your issues, I would suggest a 7-14 day old espresso roast.
                  Use one that you can benchmark (personally, from another grinder & machine, or by reputation), either from Beanbay, or someone else.
                  Then you can deal with your grind/dose issues.

Comment

The Sunbeam em7000 can pull nice shots, so keep at it am77. I've had the machine about a week and have pulled shot after shot of dark syrupy goodness. From what you say, it is most likely the grind that needs to be looked at. I've listed some of the things I do below; hope you work it out soon.

My grinder is the Sunbeam em0450, which easily grinds fine enough for espresso. It's not a great grinder, but it does the job (at least my copy does).
                    I roast my own beans so they are between 5 days and 3 weeks old when I use them.
                    Tamp pressure used is very light... I don't measure, but I don't put any muscle into it at all... I find a hard tamp isn't essential, but both an even distribution of grinds and tamp pressure helps.
                    The water temperature on my machine has been increased by two degrees as well. Find shots are a little acidic at the factory setting.

Comment

If you brought the em7000 new from the shop you can claim a em0480 by redemption. Not sure if you have already started the redeem process however as previously commented you will get better results. If you haven't already visit the sunbeam website for details. The main problem I can see with the redeem process is the wait. Good luck.

Comment

Sorry it was the em0450 that was previously posted. One would hope that the em0480 would be better

Comment

Unless that needle goes to the orange on a pour, you haven`t a hope. The em7000 does a great coffee, it needs fresh beans, consistent tamp 3 to 4mm from the top, and YOU to dial in (adjust) your grinder to make the needle go to the mid orange on a pour. Once you`re set, you may get one wrong when changing over beans to a new bag, but it will be right with a fine adjustment on the grinder for the next pour.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
                            Dragunov21, I live in North Brisbane.

Comment

Originally posted by something View Post
                              If you brought the em7000 new from the shop you can claim a em0480 by redemption. Not sure if you have already started the redeem process however as previously commented you will get better results. If you haven't already visit the sunbeam website for details. The main problem I can see with the redeem process is the wait. Good luck.
                              Hey something, I am eligible for the em0480 offer. I should have it in two to three weeks. Hopefully, it will give me the grind I need to get a good shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X