6910 very wet, weak steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6910 very wet, weak steam

Hi all, been a lurker, first post. Love the wealth of knowledge on here.
    I've got an issue with steam I'd like a second (third, fourth, seventeenth) opinion on, as I cant see a direct solution in any thread for this symptom.
    Very wet, somewhat spluttery steam of about 50% lower pressure than on another I have (ebay collection building...)
    I've tried swapping the steam pump, that gave about 10% improvement, but think (from what i've read here over the last few weeks)that it might be time to try cleaning the steam thermoblock.
    Would that be a good call??
    Ant other suggestions? Temp sensors? Solenoids? I have a spare to rob parts from, which had fully functioning steam.
    I found and read how to go about thermoblock clean, lowest temp, maximum wetness, outside, right?.
    Cheers

Oh, and i've tried all combinations of steam wetness and temp. On max temp, min wet its a bit wetter still then my functioning machine

Comment

Sounds to me like you've checked everything you can.
      I'd go for the thermoblock clean.

Comment

How'd it go Perko? Any joy?

Comment

After a good descale, it seems to be about another 10% up in pressure, and more consistent, but still quite wet.
          It's say 30% lower pressure than my other machine
          And on its driest, comparable to about half to one step shy of wettest on my other machine
          Ideas?

Comment

Bummer! Can anyone help here?

Comment

Is it possible it may need a few descale sessions to clean it?

Is it possible there is something creating a blockage that has been sucked into it? Tip blocked?

Do the other functions that put out water (hot water, manual coffee extract button) spit out their normal volume of water?

Comment

I'll try another descale this weekend.
                The grouphead output and hot water output work perfectly.
                The tip isn't blocked, but I might try swapping the whole steam arm.
                One observation - when I partially block the tip (with a small nail), it seems to dry up almost entirely, and preassure picks up. Clearly not a solution, but does that shed any light?

Comment

I am also very interested in the outcome of this as I have the same problem with my Bezzera B2009.

Comment

Originally posted by perko88 View Post
                    One observation - when I partially block the tip (with a small nail), it seems to dry up almost entirely, and preassure picks up. Clearly not a solution, but does that shed any light?
                    Hi perko88

I just caught up w this thread (joined CS in 8/13).

FWIW, I have sorted quite a few 6910 steam issues. Yours sounds like yet another "restricted / partially blocked in a few different spots" steam wand. Too common couresy of an appalling manual.

My post http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post508603 has a lot of info as to how it occurs and how to fix it (before the thread got hijacked and flamed).

Originally posted by oggy View Post
                    I am also very interested in the outcome of this as I have the same problem with my Bezzera B2009.
                    Hi oggy

I have no idea if your machine has the same issue. Probably. Try pulling the wand out and seeing whether a long pipe cleaner will go through it cleanly (or any similar object). If not, go to the link above.

TampIt

Comment

Tampit

Replaced my wand and tip with a new la marzocco ones. Still wet steam all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by perko88 View Post
                        Sounds like a heat transfer issue to me. If your heat source doesn't transfer heat fast enough to vapourise all of the water, and superheat the steam (I.e. raise the temperature above 100ºC) it will come out wet.

Steam generation will requires that your element power and heat transfer between the element and the water are sufficient for the rate of flow.

A faster flowrate will result in a greater heat transfer rate, but the water may actually reach a lower temperature (assuming fixed heater output).
                        Conversely, a lower flowrate will result in slower heat transfer, but generally a greater temperature. (This depends a bit on the system - with temperature control this may only be true under certain circumstances).

When you block the outlet, you will likely restrict the flow (which should raise the pump discharge pressure and slow the flowrate). The result is a higher temperature (and thus drier steam; only less of it).

Alternatively, if the steam cools between the heater and the wand, some may condense (thus wet steam).

My first port of call would be to look at heater output and fouling (scale) in the thermoblock.

I'm not familiar with the 6910, but have heard mention of temperature and dryness settings. Any idea what these actually control?

Comment

For what it's worth, I have had the EM6910 for a few years now and found I need to preheat for 30 mins for a full water tank to get a good steam up, 20 mins for 2/3 tank full and 10mins for a couple of inches.

If the machine hasn't heated properly that's when I get the wet steam.

Comment

I would think Tampit was right on it re "blockages".

I picked up a used 6910, which had done about 5000+ coffees, never had the steam thermoblock decalced, cleaned.
                            It was totally blocked. A new (used-but new) thermoblock had me up and running.
                            Only problem for me since then is a blown thermal cut out 2 days ago.
                            And it is now another 1000 coffees further on.
                            In my opinion that is great service from an EM6910, after all only a $700.00 machine
                            That makes the machine cost per coffee of around 13c a cup.

However Tampit has threads on other parts being in the steam pipework being blocked.

But another thought, have you reset it back to standard settings as per the factory.
                            Could be a good idea. Who knows.

Oh, and there is a steam heat sensor, if that is failing and giving a false reading, ie, say it is up to temp before it acutally is then this could cause an issue.

Comment

Hi there,

I recently bought a Sunmbeam EM6910 second-hand and am having the same problem as you in which no water is coming out. I have read alot of these reviews prior to posting this up as I have tried everything to make it work but still have got nothing for a result. I know it is quite an older model by maybe a year or a few but I am looking desperately for any advice that can help me with making the water run again. I have already taken out the anti-calc gauge in which I've just poured filter water into the water resovoir and still managed to get no water running at all. Initially there were a few drips here and there but now there's nothing. I am sure that there is something blocking the air lock or the filter preventing water to run smoothly so that coffee shots can be poured and the wand being able to steam milk as well as producing hot water.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                              X