Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My beloved Silvia is having issues . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My beloved Silvia is having issues . . .

The 'heating' light has decided to turn on, and not turn off again Ive tried flushing it a few times and it doesnt seem to want to turn off. Cant even hear it boiling. Do I have a go at seeing whats wrong with it (well, ask my husband to have a fiddle), or take it in for a service?

Thanks in advance :-)

- Suzanne

Hi,
    Is the machine getting warm/hot? If not not it would suggest that the boiler element has stopped working.

To correctly identify the fault will mean testing 240vac electrical circuits, a job best left to qualified technicians.

Good luck!

Comment

hmmmmm, I think my Silvia has just started doing the same thing. Glad I still have a bit over a month of warranty on it. I've contacted my seller to see what options they have for repair in SA

Comment

Damn,

was hoping a thermostat reset might have fixed my problem. No such luck. No idea how I could have killed my boiler. I always prime after a steam. Machine did get left on far about 6 hours on Sunday, but that would have been with a full boiler. When I next used it I got water straight away (albeit cold water). Oh well, off the the repair man with fingers crossed my warranty will cover it.

Comment

Suzanne,

Electrical fault. Most likely element. Get a qualified technician to fix the problem and give the whole machine a thorough checkup. Best way to be sure the machine will work well.

Comment

My Slivia is off for repairs now.

Glad to hear from the workshop however that they have had a rash of Silvias with failing elements that were sold around October last year. Looks like I just got a dodgy element and it wasn't my fault.

Comment

Yes there was definatly a bad run of elements , iv done heaps.

Comment

Originally posted by nzcoffeetech View Post
                Yes there was definatly a bad run of elements , iv done heaps.
                Had heard that the welded-in elements on the V3 were more susceptible to failure through overheating than the earlier bolt-in types.

The best safeguard is to immediately prime upon switching the machine on and also prior to steaming. The extra minute or so is neglible compared to a premature repair.

Comment

Picking up my Silvia tonight. Element was replaced under warranty which is a relief. Was worried that I'd caused the issue. Glad it wasn't the case as I'm am very careful with priming the boiler.

Comment

Good to hear that the warranty covered the "dodgy" element in your Silvia. If it is a known fault in a particular batch sold around October last year I can't help but wonder why there hasn't been a recall of that batch of machines? I'm sure there will be people caught outside the warranty period that will end up paying for a premature element failure through no fault of their own unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                    X