Gaggia Classic lights not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia Classic lights not working

I ended up finding a second hand Gaggia Classic today for $70 on Gumtree. It works fine (produces great coffee and steam) except the lights on the front don't work. I've taken the lid off to check for a loose wire. The lights did flick on once, but then not again. Does it matter if the lights aren't working? Should I fix it some how? How?

I did think that one wire wasn't connected to anything. It is yellow with a fine green stripe and is originating from the plug at the back of the machine (the bottom of the photo) and is just hanging (just to the bottom/left of the centre of the image). I don't really know what I'm doing, but happy to have a crack!

I've added a photo of what it looks like under the lid.

Any advice is welcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0485[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	754689

The yellow / green wire is your earth connection for the lid which you removed, there should be a little metal plate that the wire clips on to. Quite important, if something live fails inside the machine and the chassis becomes live and that is not connected and you touch it, your body becomes the earth and you may die.

If you do not have even the basic understanding of what wires do what, then i suggest you leave it be and take it to someone who does.

Comment

Hello LRose, and welcome.

As Steve has said, the yellow-green wire is an earth wire and the female spade terminal on the end of it should fit on a male tab on the underside of the top plate of the machine. You should reconnect it before you put the top back on. For safety, you want that metal top plate earthed, and you do not want a loose wire flopping around inside the machine.

As for the lights, if you have little or no electrical expertise, any advice is given entirely at your own risk. All care, but NO responsibility - OK ??.

If neither of the lights come on, but they did flick on once, it sounds like a faulty connection, maybe on the back of the switches. If the on/off light does work, but the brew/steam light does not, it could be a faulty thermostat/connection.

The only suggestion I will make is to check the terminals on the back of the switch plate. They are difficult to reach in situ, but the whole switch assembly pops out of the front and then they are easy to get at.

First of all do NOT do ANYTHING with the power on. Switch it off and unplug it !!.

The switch assembly has a flat spring on each side, that hold it in place. They also hold a small bracket that fits around the switch assembly and supports the front of top lid.
      One side at a time, gently prise this bracket backwards with a flat blade (e.g. screwdriver). It should slide back over the springs and rest on the wires/terminals.
      Again one side at a time, press on one of the retaining springs with your thumb, while gently levering that side of the switch assembly forward/outward with a flat blade screwdriver.
      Once you have the switch assembly hanging out of the front, you can wriggle, remove, and replug each of the terminals to ensure they fit firmly. Do this *one at a time* so they can't get mixed up.
      Push the switch assembly back into the machine and slide the top support bracket back over the springs, put the earth wire on the top plate and the top back on the machine before turning it on.

If the lights still don't work I think you need someone with electrical expertise to look at it.

Cheers, Deegee.

Comment

Thanks Deegee and Steve.

I have tried Deegee's suggestion (thanks for the very detailed instruction) and that hasn't fixed the problem. It still makes great coffee and steams really well. So perhaps it's the thermostat connection??

I will have someone else with more expertise in this area have a look.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

New member and first post, so first off hello all and happy xmas. I have a similar issue with my Classic as LRose, and fount this thread searching the net;

The Brew light has stopped functioning correctly. When I turn the machine on and it gets to temperature, I can hear the thermostat change state. However the Brew light does not come on. If I press the brew button and run the pump and let some water through the brew head then turn it off again, after a while I can hear the stat change again but the light on the brew button does not come on. This happens intermittently-plug the machine out and the next day the brew button light will work as it should-ie. it comes on when the water is at the correct temp to pull a shot.

I opened up the machine, and checked the terminations-all seem ok. From a look at a schematic I found here online, it could be the button and lamp are failing or more likely the termostat. What do you guys think? Have you had a similar issue?

I would like to fix this myself, I am a former electrician so have no problems with the electrical aspect of it.

Many thanks in advance,

Glyn.

Comment

Originally posted by 7tronic View Post
            I opened up the machine, and checked the terminations-all seem ok. From a look at a schematic I found here online, it could be the button and lamp are failing or more likely the thermostat. What do you guys think? Have you had a similar issue? Many thanks in advance, Glyn.
            Hello and welcome Glyn, Sorry for the rather tardy reply, but I haven't been visiting the site much lately.

First a word about the circuits on your link :- They are for the 120 Volt version which has the heater elements in parallel - the 230V has them in series, and the wiring layout is a bit different.

The 220-240 version is here :- http://www.partsguru.com/user/Classi...0299_Rev00.pdf

Note that Gaggia have changed their wire colours over time, so your machine's colours shown may or may not match those in the pictorial diagram.

As to your problem, if the boiler seems to be heating to about the right temperatures, not noticeably overheating, I suspect your problem may be in the light/switch assembly. If the temps are varying, e.g. lots of steam from the brew head without the steam switch on, then it could be the thermostat.

Hope this helps, deegee.

Comment

Originally posted by deegee View Post
              Hello and welcome Glyn, Sorry for the rather tardy reply, but I haven't been visiting the site much lately.

First a word about the circuits on your link :- They are for the 120 Volt version which has the heater elements in parallel - the 230V has them in series, and the wiring layout is a bit different.

The 220-240 version is here :- http://www.partsguru.com/user/Classi...0299_Rev00.pdf

Note that Gaggia have changed their wire colours over time, so your machine's colours shown may or may not match those in the pictorial diagram.

As to your problem, if the boiler seems to be heating to about the right temperatures, not noticeably overheating, I suspect your problem may be in the light/switch assembly. If the temps are varying, e.g. lots of steam from the brew head without the steam switch on, then it could be the thermostat.

Hope this helps, deegee.
              Hi deegee,

Many thanks for the reply & the schematic. The colours are indeed different so I traced the wiring. Since I posted, it has been behaving itself perfectly, the light goes on when I hear the stat changes state. It must be the actual LED/Bulb as you say. I will order a spare switch assembly in the new year if it act up again.

Regards,

G.

Comment

Working...
              X